Anthony Daly - The new Dublin hurling manager

Started by The Wedger, November 24, 2008, 09:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on March 23, 2009, 08:43:57 PM
Would Dublin be missing many players who haven't committed to the hurling...through Football/other reasons?? Unfortunately I think they are going to defeat Antrim come the championship but a Dublin team going well would be good for Hurling.

Dublin would certainly be better off with Conal Keaney who would make the KK team if he had stayed a hurler, Ryan, Connolly, Henry etc...

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 25, 2009, 08:26:10 AM
Quote from: Two Hands FFS on March 23, 2009, 08:43:57 PM
Would Dublin be missing many players who haven't committed to the hurling...through Football/other reasons?? Unfortunately I think they are going to defeat Antrim come the championship but a Dublin team going well would be good for Hurling.

Dublin would certainly be better off with Conal Keaney who would make the KK team if he had stayed a hurler, Ryan, Connolly, Henry etc...

All these great hurlers in Dublin playing football is a myth at this stage. Henry and Connolly are much better footballers. Ryan was a very good hurler but he has not played it at a serious level in 10 years so he is no longer relevant . Keaney is a major loss and hopefully he will come back at some stage. I think Dublin need to be concentrating on all the good hurlers they have instead of  worrying about the odd lad who isn't available.

INDIANA

true but connolly was man of the match against ballyboden last year where after a months training he outhurled 2 lads who'd been playing inter county hurling all year. I'd make an exception for him. A complete natural. Keaney would still have something to offer as well.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: INDIANA on March 25, 2009, 09:42:59 AM
true but connolly was man of the match against ballyboden last year where after a months training he outhurled 2 lads who'd been playing inter county hurling all year. I'd make an exception for him. A complete natural. Keaney would still have something to offer as well.

I wasn't at the match but will take your word for it. I based my opinion on his performance for the u21's in their run to the All Ireland 2 years ago. He looked decent but mothing more. As a footballer while there is obvious question marks over his tempermant I think he is as a talented a fplayer as we have ever produced.

INDIANA

I agree he wasn't especially good for the u21's 2 years ago but he was playing for about 6 teams at the time. He's probably even better at hurling than football if the truth be known. Ross O Carroll turned down the footballers last week - thats a first for Dublin hurling.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 26, 2009, 02:35:19 PM
do cuala still play senior hurling lads ?

Yes. They have not been that strong the last number of years but the future looks bright for them. They have a thriving under age section and have had a big representation on Dublin Minor teams in the last few years.

orangeman

On Sunday, Dublin play Calre and guess what ? Dublin in the handicap betting are minus a point !

Some turnaround - I hope they keep up the good work.

EddieMerx

Great to see the Dubs putting in such a strong showing in the league, Daly seems to have given them that bit of aggression and belief required to win games at this level. Leinster is going to be interesting this year (ignoring the fact that the Cats will most likely walk it) with Dublin, Galway, Offaly, Wexford and Antrim all feeling they have a chance of beating each other on their day.

INDIANA

Dublin lost by 2 points in nowlan park. 1-23 to 3-15. Didn't get to it myself but I've no fingernails left after listening on the radio. We were 2 up with a minute to go and the bastards got a goal. And kilkenny had virtually the full whack out.

slow corner back

Fair dues Indiana good going again from the Dubs. How many weeks is it until the championship?

ExiledGael

Sounds a good result but Babs was in the RTE studio saying Kilkenny were giving encouragement to Dublin, pulling out of the fifty fifties etc.

INDIANA

Babs is a  cantankerous old bollox who should have been put out to pasture a long time ago. He lives in dublin for 20 years and the only team in Dublin he lifted a finger for was UCD. That to me says a lot about the man. My only regret when he was beating my club regularly in the senior hurling finals in Dublin with UCD was that I didn't give the git more abuse from the terraces then I actualy did. He has no time for Dublin hurling and I have no time for him.

ExiledGael

Quote from: INDIANA on April 19, 2009, 04:36:00 PM
Babs is a  cantankerous old bollox who should have been put out to pasture a long time ago. He lives in dublin for 20 years and the only team in Dublin he lifted a finger for was UCD. That to me says a lot about the man. My only regret when he was beating my club regularly in the senior hurling finals in Dublin with UCD was that I didn't give the git more abuse from the terraces then I actualy did. He has no time for Dublin hurling and I have no time for him.

Sounds fair enough.
I find a lot of the older/snobby hurling community behave in the same way as the top class international cricket teams do towards the rest. They pay a lot of lip service to the emerging sides and the future and always talk of progress but when it comes down to it they don't really give a shit.

Jinxy

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 19, 2009, 04:31:50 PM
Sounds a good result but Babs was in the RTE studio saying Kilkenny were giving encouragement to Dublin, pulling out of the fifty fifties etc.

Babs says a lot of things....
If you were any use you'd be playing.