Celtic Supporter Jailed

Started by Hoof Hearted, November 21, 2008, 06:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Isn't this a bit harsh ?

-----------------------------------------------

Youth sentenced for running on to pitch

Published Date: 21 November 2008
A teenage pitch invader who disrupted play during Celtic's Champions League match against Manchester United has been locked up for six months.
John Murphy, 18, was also banned from attending national or international football matches for five years, one of the longest such banning orders imposed in Scotland.

Play had to be temporarily stopped during the first half when Murphy, from GlasgADVERTISEMENT

ow, went on to the pitch during the clash at Celtic Park on November 5.

Celtic fan Murphy, of Glenavon Road, Glasgow, admitted charges of breaching the peace and being drunk in a sports ground when he appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court earlier this month.

Last Thursday Celtic were fined £42,430 by Uefa for the invasion and for the late start to the game, which ended 1-1.

Sentencing Murphy, Sheriff Linda Ruxton branded his behaviour "dangerous and irresponsible".

She said: "Not only did you create a situation in which there were fears for the safety of the players on the pitch, but you interrupted a high profile match and created a situation which might easily have provoked serious public disorder.

She said she would have detained him for nine months but in view of his guilty plea she reduced it to six months. She also imposed a football banning order which bars him from attending any regulated football match in the UK or abroad for five years.

She said: "Such a sentence is particularly designed to have a deterrent effect on others who need to appreciate that such behaviour at football matches will not be tolerated by the courts."

She admonished him on the drunkenness charge.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Puckoon

That is indeed a step sentence - any precedent for it, or is it setting one of its own?

ExiledGael

Says nothing of the man's previous. Must have been on thin ice with the law as it seems very steep.

nifan

Can only imagine there must be something else to it.
Would be excessive if it was just for running onto the pitch

Main Street

You'd tolerate it though if a  serious sentencing policy worked to stamp out these isolated idiots but you'd imagine that the drink already consumed  makes the few culprits oblivious to all rational thought.

There was some idiot who jumped onto the sideline looking very aggressive in the Georgia V Ireland game at Mainz. He was aiming to run onto the pitch and have a go at the ref after a decision went against Doyle. He was wrestled to the ground before he could do any damage.

Puckoon

Do grounds have metal detectors or anything now? Its only a matter of time before some lunatic with a weapon gets in there, and even if he doesnt get a player/referee - a steward might get badly hurt.

Still though 6 months?

SidelineKick

Was thinking the same myself there recently when the Spurs fan jumped in the pile-on after they got their 4th goal against Arsenal.  Was just thinking, that could have been some lunatic with a knife.  Stewards had to stand back and wait til everybody got up from celebrating before they could grab him!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Lads was at the match, and see when the wee p***k decided to run onto the pitch, he's lucky the stewards got him, because everybody around me (including me) would have throttled the wee p***k if we'd got our hands on him, especially after the Dida incident, the club doesn't need the bother. £42,500 fine, the wee **** should be barred for life from any soccer match.
Tbc....

under the bar

ziggysego

I believe this clown did this before at a Celtic game, in which they got a heavy fine from UEFA.
Testing Accessibility

gerry

hopefully it will put of other clowns from doing the same
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

saffron sam2

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7714241.stm

A teenager has admitted invading the pitch at Celtic Park during Wednesday night's Champions League clash.

John Paul Murphy ran onto the pitch in the 35th minute of the Celtic v Manchester United game.

The 19-year-old, of Maryhill, Glasgow, appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court where he admitted committing a breach of the peace by interrupting the game.

He also pleaded guilty to being drunk in a sports ground. He was remanded in custody and sentence was deferred.

The court heard Murphy was out on bail for two other offences at the time.

Sheriff Bill Totten told Murphy that due to his previous convictions and the nature of the charges he had no choice but to remand him in custody.

He said: "It's clear that in no sense could one rely upon you to uphold the conditions of bail. The risk of repetition is such that I've no choice but to refuse bail."

He added: "There is also the question of informing the football club about this conviction and I'll direct my clerk to inform Celtic Football Club in order for them take a decision about Mr Murphy's future attendance at the stadium."

The sheriff deferred sentence until later this month for reports.

Club sanction

European football's governing body say they are awaiting the match referee's report before deciding whether to hand Celtic another fine over the incident.

Uefa had previously warned the Glasgow club about the behaviour of their supporters, after a fan confronted AC Milan's goalkeeper, Dida, during a Champions League tie last season.

As a result of that, Celtic were ordered to pay a fine of £25,000, half of which was suspended for two years.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

under the bar

Any truth the judge said that she hoped other fans would not follow follow his example?

Orior

Quote from: under the bar on November 23, 2008, 10:10:26 PM
Any truth the judge said that she hoped other fans would not follow follow his example?

Would that be controversial in some manner?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

orangeman

Quote from: under the bar on November 23, 2008, 10:10:26 PM

Says it all really !  ;)