Pet charities - Grrrr

Started by youngfella, November 21, 2008, 02:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Considering the plight of most animals in distress is due to the direct impact of human interaction (abusive owners, silly owners, encroachment on habitats, over harvesting) we with a few pennies left owe it to try and help rectify the damage done by other humans.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on November 21, 2008, 05:16:41 PM
Considering the plight of most animals in distress is due to the direct impact of human interaction (abusive owners, silly owners, encroachment on habitats, over harvesting) we with a few pennies left owe it to try and help rectify the damage done by other humans.

Would those with a few pennies not be better off trying and help rectify damage done to kids by other humans?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gabriel_Hurl

as was said before

QuotePeople have different interests and priorities.

Puckoon

I cant speak for them - but maybe they do?

Some people dont give to charities at all - I dont think it should be castigated in any way which charity someones money goes to.

The bottom line for me, is that if I have one quid to give to charity and it could directly save a rhino, or directly save a kid - Ill give it to the kid.

If Ive two quid Ill give a quid to each.

Now in fairness Ill die broke before I leave my entire estate (which consists of 3 guitars, a car and a student loan debt) to two dogs.

Gabriel_Hurl

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

It comes with added extras gabriel

Two mangy mutts and a student loan debt.

Other than that, its a cracker.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on November 21, 2008, 05:31:05 PM
I cant speak for them - but maybe they do?

Some people dont give to charities at all - I dont think it should be castigated in any way which charity someones money goes to.

The bottom line for me, is that if I have one quid to give to charity and it could directly save a rhino, or directly save a kid - Ill give it to the kid.

If Ive two quid Ill give a quid to each.

Now in fairness Ill die broke before I leave my entire estate (which consists of 3 guitars, a car and a student loan debt) to two dogs.

I already said in a previous posts who was I to say how people should spend their money,I just think its ridiculous and wrong to be helping a rhino in Africa when the money could go towards helping a child who needs a transplant or even helping a homeless person get food and a roof over their head which in my view is far more important than a fecking animal
If i had two quid to give I'd give the two quid to the child...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Well you've obvioulsy never shared your bed with a Rhino.

Fair enough.

Declan

Each to their own I suppose but if anyone is looking for a worthwhile overseas charity with little or no admin fees really I'd recommend http://www.lightofmaasai.com/index.htm.

I'll admit a vested interest as its my cousin who set it up and is doing great work out there

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Puckoon on November 21, 2008, 05:34:26 PM
It comes with added extras gabriel

Two mangy mutts and a student loan debt.

Other than that, its a cracker.

I'd love to have your dogs to be honest

Lecale2

QuoteMarie Keating foundation

Who are they?

I used to sponsor a child in Ethiopia. Guilt after the famine a good few years ago! Then I read an article on the organisation which explained how much went on admin and the (very fat) salaries for the CEO and his staff. Serious money in the 1990s!

I did further research on the back of this and I found out that this type of sponsorship is seriously resented in the host country. Little Jimmy gets all the benefits while his community starves and some guy in Ireland feels good about himself. Not the way to solve the underlying problems IMO.

I now give to Concern and Oxfam. 3rd World just happens to be my interest. I'm concerned that some people in the world can't drink clean water or get enough food.

I'll not criticise someone who wants to give money to the Cats Protection League or Royal Society for Birds. That is up to them.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Iceman

Its sad that some people care more about animals than they do for people
But then some people are worse than animals so can we really blame them

I give money when I can and when I remember to.  I'm no saint but I think we all could do more.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on November 21, 2008, 08:24:56 PM
Its sad that some people care more about animals than they do for people
But then some people are worse than animals so can we really blame them

I give money when I can and when I remember to.  I'm no saint but I think we all could do more.

Some people get more from animals than the people they've met in life.

Thats sad.