Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy(New Album)

Started by thejuice, November 20, 2008, 05:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

You can listen to it all here:   http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

I loved the original line-up and the first few albums, the jury's still out on this one.

EDIT****

Jury giving their verdict: its awful shite, 15 years & $8million well spent  :P
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

gerry

just downloaded it last night and have only listen to it once, i hear that the reviews are poor
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Puckoon

SidelineKick

Bought the new AC/DC album the other day.  Took me a while to get on to but its very easily listened to.  No classics by any means but good nonetheless.

I know, i know, none of you mentioned AC/DC.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

thejuice

Quote from: SidelineKick on November 26, 2008, 06:26:44 PM
Bought the new AC/DC album the other day.  Took me a while to get on to but its very easily listened to.  No classics by any means but good nonetheless.

Ah come on now, theres a few good ones on it. Its no Back In Black alright but Rock N Roll Train, Big Jack, Wheels, Spoilin For A Fight, Skies On Fire and War Machine are waaaay better than anything they've done since Thunderstruck.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

gerry

Guns N' Roses demand apology over Dr Pepper disaster

27/11/2008 - 07:18:28

Rockers Guns N' Roses are threatening to sue the bosses of US soft drinks firm Dr Pepper over a publicity stunt gone wrong.

Dr Pepper heads promised every person in America a free can of soda if Guns N' Roses released their long-awaited album 'Chinese Democracy' this year - and agreed to honour the deal when the band put the album out on November 23.

But, according to the band, the soda giant's website crashed when fans attempting to get a coupon online flocked to the Internet earlier this week.

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose is now calling the stunt "a complete fiasco" - and he has asked his legal team to penalise the soda firm.

According to RollingStone.com, Rose's lawyer Alan S. Gutman wrote to Dr Pepper CEO Larry Young, and stated: "The redemption scheme your company clumsily implemented for this offer was an unmitigated disaster which defrauded consumers and, in the eyes of vocal fans, 'ruined' the day of Chinese Democracy's release... Now it's time to clean up the mess. "

The group is seeking a public apology via ads in newspapers, plus more time for people to claim their free sodas.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

SidelineKick

Quote from: thejuice on November 26, 2008, 08:47:32 PM

Ah come on now, theres a few good ones on it. Its no Back In Black alright but Rock N Roll Train, Big Jack, Wheels, Spoilin For A Fight, Skies On Fire and War Machine are waaaay better than anything they've done since Thunderstruck.

I totally agree juice I think the majority of them are very good, but don't think there'll be any become extremely successful.  very glad I bought it though!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

CC1

Scene as you mentioned that. I might as well add that I went to see Airborne a few weeks ago in the Ambassador, a band that is almost a carbon copy of AC/DC. They really did put on an amazing show, the energy they created on stage would better than that of AC/DC I'm certain. If anybody hasn't heard Airborne and you like AC/DC, then I really recommend that you check them out.

As for GNR... Err, sorry Axl Rose, plus guests I should say. They were past it after Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 were average at best. They had one or two good songs on each album but the introduction of power ballads into their music was their downfall. Every other Hair Metal band and their mothers were doing power ballads at the time and it was a sure fire way to make money. They sold out and it was probably the main reason why they split. I couldn't imagine Slash or Duff putting up with playing that tripe, nor having to stand in the background playing simple ballads while Rose took the spotlight.

That is what Guns n Roses have come to today, it's the Axl Rose show with a load of mercenaries playing over produced shite. I haven't bought nor have I heard much of Chinese Democracy, but I do know that there are a number power ballads on it and that to me serves no other purpose than to feed Rose's ego.

Long live proper Rock and Roll music, not pretentious bovine scatology.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

thejuice

Quotenot pretentious bovine scatology

good one, Its not so much the ballads that are wrong about Chinese Democracy its just the sound of a deluded hermit who's had his head up his own arse for the last 15 years.

I've seem Airbourne 3 times this year, they're great, sure they dont do originality but who cares when your having a good time.

magpie seanie

Quote from: CC1 on November 27, 2008, 09:28:28 AM

Scene as you mentioned that. I might as well add that I went to see Airborne a few weeks ago in the Ambassador, a band that is almost a carbon copy of AC/DC. They really did put on an amazing show, the energy they created on stage would better that of AC/DC I'm certain. If anybody hasn't heard Airborne and you like AC/DC, then I really recommend that you do.

As for GNR... Err, sorry Axl Rose, plus guests I should say. They were past it after Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 were average at best. They had one or two good songs on each album but the introduction of power ballads into their music was their downfall. Every other Hair Metal band and their mothers were doing power ballads at the time and it was a sure fire way to make money. They sold out and it was probably the main reason why they split. I couldn't imagine Slash or Duff putting up with playing that tripe, nor having to stand in the background playing simple ballads while Rose took the spotlight.

That is what Guns n Roses have come to today, it's the Axl Rose show with a load of mercenaries playing over produced shite. I haven't bought nor have I heard much of Chinese Democracy, but I do know that there are a number power ballads on it and that to me serves no other purpose than to feed Rose's ego.

Long live proper Rock and Roll music, not pretentious bovine scatology.

I couldn't agree more. They were brilliant back in the day but after Appetite there were only flickers of quality and then the flame went out. I found when everyone else was huge GNR fans I was losing interest. If the current incarnation were playing in my back yard I think I'd go to town for the night.

Chrisowc

Anyone wanting to hear what a real GnR album should sound like check out Velvet Revolver's debut album.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

thejuice

Cant say Im convinced by Velvet Revolver that much. OK it was great to see Slash back playing alright but I felt they just didnt have the songs. The Stone Temple Pilot lads were the weak link in it all for me. STP's albums Core and Purple are good though.

If they could get Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan, Steven Adler and some decent front man together, with the right songs they could be really good.

thejuice

In somewhat related news: Velvet Revolver are rumuored to be chasing up Belfasts very own Million $ Reload's singer Phil, to replace Scott Wieland. Fair play to the lad although it would be a shame in a way as M$R are a fantastic group with great songs, and deserve greater recognition.

Listen Here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=57331386

thirteen03

Where'd you hear that? It would be a shame for M$R but class for Phil. M$R are awesome, I'm lookin forward to seein them in the empire on thursday night week. Love VR's first album but the second wasn't so good.

GnR's new album is still growing on me. It doesn't really resemble the vintage stuff like Appetite for Destruction but I think some of the slower ones like Street of Dreams, Catcher In The Rye, This I Love and even There Was A Time have similarities to the likes of Yesterdays, Dead Horse or Estranged(minus the solos). Catcher In The Rye is my favourite at the minute but Better is a good song too but it takes me a good few listens to know what I think of an album.

thejuice

Classic Rock magazine was the original source but I read it on a forum.