Black Hawk Down II?

Started by under the bar, November 20, 2008, 12:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Will George W take on the pirates in the final front of his War on Terror?  There's oil at stake after all!

Denn Forever

Just a little too late.  Now 4 year ago might be a different matter.

Heard that Tanker drivers will not be taking that route any more.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

thejuice

I heard the tankers chef is Steven Seagal, he'll sort it out.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ziggysego

I know a guy that was kidnapped by pirates, but that's a story for another day.
Testing Accessibility

Bensars

Quote from: ziggysego on November 20, 2008, 01:03:47 PM
I know a guy that was kidnapped by pirates, but that's a story for another day.

Peter Pan doesnt count ziggy !

ziggysego

Peter grew up and became Mork.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

Bush's presidency has reversed the progress of civilisation. This is some achievement. He has sent the world back to a time of pirates and cowboys. Now that he is about to return to his own planet if he agrees to take Fianna Fáil and half of the EU politicians with him we might call it quits.
MWWSI 2017

J70

I am no fan of the man, but the Somalian pirates are Bush's fault?

Tony Baloney

You can blame Geordie Bush for a lot of things but I don't think pirates is one of them!

Donagh

You can blame Geordie Bush for a lot of things but I don't think pirates is one of them!

Well things were going well in Somalia there for a while while the Islamic Courts crowd were running the show, then the Ethiopian army invaded to drive them out and allowed the warlords to return. The Ethiopians were of course supported and backed by the gd ol US of A. As I remember the Yanks even carried out a few of the bombing raids themselves on behalf of their Ethiopian allies.  :D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Donagh on November 20, 2008, 01:24:41 PM

Well things were going well in Somalia there for a while while the Islamic Courts crowd were running the show, then the Ethiopian army invaded to drive them out and allowed the warlords to return. The Ethiopians were of course supported and backed by the gd ol US of A. As I remember the Yanks even carried out a few of the bombing raids themselves on behalf of their Ethiopian allies.  :D

The ICU weren't running anything in the area around the Horn of Africa where the pirates do their pirating as it is an autonomous region. The Islamic Courts crowd were trying to introduce Sharia Law in the south of the country.*

*All this is based on the accuracy of wikipedia  ;D

Donagh

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 20, 2008, 01:36:27 PM
Quote from: Donagh on November 20, 2008, 01:24:41 PM

The ICU weren't running anything in the area around the Horn of Africa where the pirates do their pirating as it is an autonomous region. The Islamic Courts crowd were trying to introduce Sharia Law in the south of the country.*

*All this is based on the accuracy of wikipedia  ;D

Well I don't know much about it to be honest but I know there were no pirates or warlords until after there was a big push to get the Courts out.

Mentalman

Aye, those Sharia courts had the place sorted rightly, I heard reported rape cases had fallen to zero....
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

muppet

Quote from: Mentalman on November 20, 2008, 03:44:09 PM
Aye, those Sharia courts had the place sorted rightly, I heard reported rape cases had fallen to zero....

I think the point is that a policy of taking action without a plan for what happens afterwards is doomed to fail, as it has always done.

Also the rise in food prices will mean poor countries will become even more dangerous and susceptible to political insability.   
MWWSI 2017

The Gs Man

Quote from: thejuice on November 20, 2008, 12:46:57 PM
I heard the tankers chef is Steven Seagal, he'll sort it out.

A snatter just came out my nose cos I was laughing so much reading that.  People in my office are looking at me strangely.
Keep 'er lit