Ireland v Poland

Started by magickingdom, November 19, 2008, 11:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

cant believe there isnt a thread on this. anyone at the game?

Rav67

I am also surprised by the lack of interest.  Very exciting finish, Duff was the major bright spark for Ireland and looks to be nearing his best form this season if he could only get more of a killer touch back in front of goal.  There looked to be a massive "away" support and they were in great form all game, that's definitely the first time I've seen flares in Croker!

brokencrossbar1

Quotethat's definitely the first time I've seen flares in Croker!

You obviously haven't seen any fans from Cavan then :P

ziggysego

Tyrone played with great flare in Croke Park this year......
Testing Accessibility

thejuice

Meath fans used to bring flares onto the Canal End when it was a terrace.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magickingdom

ok then get over the flares :D thats the first time i saw so many polish in croke park  :D any thoughts on the game btw? have to say i was very disappointed with just about everyone out there, i think we have alot of work to do if were going to qualify for the wc. dunne's worst game ever (he was due a bad one) duff was good but fluffed 2 good chances, and midfield needs a bit of work (not a reid either) thought gibson was slightly better than whealan imo had some nice touches when he got on the ball. we have a big mountain to climb

Hereiam

This one by the looks of things

Rav67

Dunne's confidence is shot at the minute, he's been atrocious for Man City recently who've been conceding a lot more goals than you would expect when you look at their defence on paper.  Still, he's a very good defender and will come through this bad patch. 

AZOffaly

I was just about to say th same thing about Dunne. He's not having a great season for Man City, there seems to be a line in every report starting 'following an error by Richard Dunne...'.

Last night he almost gave 2 goals away, and I don't know what he thought he was doing for the second Polish goal, it looked like Mafi breaking out of the defensive line against the NZ on Tuesday night.

stiffler

I was at the game mysel, I dont think we will ever see a home international again were the away fans outnumber the home support.

The Polish had half the cusak  lower tier all to themselves, and during the polish national anthem there were about 10 flares lit, which covered the top half of the pitch in smoke for a few minutes.

Duff was very good in the first half, if he had his shooting boots on he should have had at least 2 goals. Apart from the polish goal, they offered little else in the first half.

The 2nd half was a better affair, i though Andrews impressed when he came on, as did Long and Stephen Hunt. His brother Noel looked a little slow for this level, and was easily muscled off the ball on a few occassions. Folan showed some good touches for a big guy.

As for Dunne, possibly the travelling over to manchester and back did not help his concentration, but im sure come February he will be back to his best.

Out of Irelands outfield palyers only 3 are due to play this weekend. The rest of the players must have to push on and play regular first team football to improve the quality of the squad overall.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

nifan

Quote from: stiffler on November 20, 2008, 09:26:12 AM
Out of Irelands outfield palyers only 3 are due to play this weekend. The rest of the players must have to push on and play regular first team football to improve the quality of the squad overall.

Very much a problem for the NI team as well.

stiffler

Quote from: nifan on November 20, 2008, 09:31:54 AM
Quote from: stiffler on November 20, 2008, 09:26:12 AM

Very much a problem for the NI team as well.

Caught a bit of Worthington on the radio on the way home from the game, he seemed to be raging at NIs performance. Would you take sanchez back now?

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

nifan

Quote from: stiffler on November 20, 2008, 09:36:03 AM
Caught a bit of Worthington on the radio on the way home from the game, he seemed to be raging at NIs performance. Would you take sanchez back now?

I wouldnt blame Worthy on this occasion (though I have in some games in the past).
Too many players where not at the races in general - the player who impressed me most was McGinn when he came on. The lack of match practice for a number was evident.

We missed badly Hughes, McCartney and Davis - 3 of our best players who are regular starters at their club.

thejuice

Its a pity it was on Sky, (which I have by the way), I didnt get to see any of my 3 favourite players, Giles, Dunphy or Brady  :(
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

A very successful fundraiser for the FAI by the look of things.