Haka - Fair or not

Started by AZOffaly, November 19, 2008, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Haka, as performed by NZ teams, a great tradition, or an unfair advantage?

Great Tradition - I love it
35 (74.5%)
Very Unfair - Hands advantage to NZ, or causes rows
4 (8.5%)
Pointless Theatre
8 (17%)
No Opinion
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: November 24, 2008, 02:01:05 PM

Rossie11

Id agree with Dinny. Its fine between 2 teams who perform it.

The rugby world give in to them and disrespect for the Haka can be an acceptable excuse for an early flair up.
Aussie Willie Mason got busted few years ago for smiling during it.

England formed a circle in the rugby league last week and they were screaming "disrespect".

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Rossie11 on November 19, 2008, 03:39:06 PM
Id agree with Dinny. Its fine between 2 teams who perform it.

The rugby world give in to them and disrespect for the Haka can be an acceptable excuse for an early flair up.
Aussie Willie Mason got busted few years ago for smiling during it.

England formed a circle in the rugby league last week and they were screaming "disrespect".

He did a bit more than smile to be fair

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on November 19, 2008, 03:38:43 PM
By the way, did anyone hear that the Springboks are changing their crest as they felt the "Springbok" had become a sympbol of the aparthied culture and they want to make the King Protea flower the teams crest.
Were did you hear this ?  Would be strange considering President Nelson Mandela intervened himself for them not to change the name
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Rossie11

QuoteHe did a bit more than smile to be fair
Maybe but still didnt justify the reaction.

Denn Forever

Didn't see this but I am confused about what this thread is about?

The Haka as I understand it was a tactic to intimidate a rival group.  Hence it serve it purpose. 

Spectators should respect as the would an anthem.  Opposition players should if the can ignore it.  The New Zealand Rugby League team were a bit put out when the opposition did not show it respect.  Boo Hoo.

In order to decrease its potential for hyping the NZ too much at the start of a game,  maybe allow a minute or two before starting the game.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Main Street

Denn Forever

Who here is bored by the haka.  why must we respectfully stand for it? oh yes great and most powerful NZ we would like  roll over before you. and please be gentle.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

JimStynes

Cringes me out. They seem to do a haka for the opening of an envelope these days too.

square_ball

Overrated nonsense. If they have to do it then it should be for home games only in New Zealand and that's its.

Taylor

Used to think it was great but it has become so frequent now it means feck all to most people.

Today, if another country introduced some pre game ritual that made the opposition stand and face it would it be allowed?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on October 12, 2023, 02:20:57 PMUsed to think it was great but it has become so frequent now it means feck all to most people.

Today, if another country introduced some pre game ritual that made the opposition stand and face it would it be allowed?

If your local rivals started a prematch dance you'd laugh your head off, anyone that gets intimidated by that needs their heads looked at!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Haka

Ireland and Farrell have it sorted.

Applesisapples

I love the haka,it changes with the guy leading it and also with the occasion it is a sign off respect as well as a challenge. I saw one live once in Jury's Ballsbridge, impressive up close.

Pub Bore

Used to love it, but it's now lost any effect it once had.  Pointless sideshow, and goes on far too long.