Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Started by behind the wire, November 19, 2008, 09:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

From Notre Dame university

http://www.nd.edu/~wcawley/corson/whyfightingirish.htm

Why the "Fighting Irish"?

Many people wonder (or worry) about Notre Dame and that word, Irish. To us, it doesn't mean race exclusively; nor is it just another nickname. The fact is, it keeps alive the memory of a long, uphill fight for recognition against a spirit that was not always generous, nor even fair-minded. The Irish, as known at Notre Dame, has an authentic history and a meaning deeper even than race.
Notre Dame began athletic relations chiefly with local colleges founded by various denominations. Press reports would refer to the schools as the "Baptists" or the "Methodists," and the like. For Notre Dame it was the "Catholics," or the "Irish." But the players were never all of Irish ancestry; nor were they all Catholics.

The usage was not original, but a continuing custom from earlier Colonial times. The bulk of the first Catholic immigrants were Irish -- so that Catholics and Irish were identical in the public mind. It is sad to recall now, but few of the original states were without laws against them. Advertisements for 'help wanted' commonly carried the restriction: "No Catholics. No Irish." The Puritans were the first to cry: "Stop the Irish!"

When the religious origin of other colleges lost its significance, the emphasis shifted to conventional names, and to their school colors. But history is recorded remembrance in our blessed heritage here at Notre Dame. Fighting Irish! It's more than a name; more than a people. It is the Faith!

In narrow, little New England, it began as a slur -- a term of opprobrium. But we took it up and made of it a badge of honor -- a symbol of fidelity and courage to everyone who suffers from discrimination; to everyone who has an uphill fight for the elemental decencies, and the basic Christian principles woven into the texture of our nation. Preserving this tradition, and this meaning of Irish at Notre Dame does honor to everyone of us. It explains why Lewinski belongs here; why Alessandrini is the Irish leader; why Schmaltz belongs here; why Bertrand, and Moreau, Van Dyke, and Larson feel at home here as much as do Leahy and O'Brien.

Turlough - how is that derogatory?

magickingdom

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on November 19, 2008, 06:13:40 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 19, 2008, 05:22:32 PM
QuoteSure begob the Nortre Dame Fighting Irish represent everything that is good and pure about Irish culture. We'd never know what Irish emigrants to US looked like back in the 19th century only for their simian faced mascot.

Do you even know why they are called the Fighting Irish - it has nothing to do with Irish culture

I know it has nothing to do with Irish culture. In fact, Nortre Dame is zero percent Irish. However they call themselves the Fighting Irish and use a derogatory symbol that is like something out of Punch Magazine.

they play with pride and passion and to the very end - thats what its meant to symbolise. alot of irish americans rightly take great pride in them

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 19, 2008, 06:17:52 PM
this is derogatory????????????

Do you think the same about the Lucky Charms fella?

I have nearly the same tatoo on my arm...
Classy or what?
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

ziggysego

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 19, 2008, 05:07:53 PM
Will there be objections from the usual begrudgers if this is held in Croke Park ?

Yes, Rule 42 will be re-instated by that time. Anyway, American Football wasn't part of the relaxing of Rule 42 to begin with. Keep them out and come 2010 keep Rugby and Soccer out.
Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

Keep these Yankee Racist fcukers out of our National Stadium and let them take their boring stupid Chess game to Lansdowne Road where such crap belongs.

Happy now Laoislad ?  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: ziggysego on November 19, 2008, 08:03:03 PM
Will there be objections from the usual begrudgers if this is held in Croke Park ?

Yes, Rule 42 will be re-instated by that time. Anyway, American Football wasn't part of the relaxing of Rule 42 to begin with. Keep them out and come 2010 keep Rugby and Soccer out.

Why did they let them play there in 1996 then?

thejuice

DOnt really give 2 fucks if its in Lansdowne or Croker, i'll be happy to go either way and cheer on the Irish!
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

Why?

new devil

Quote from: Puckoon on November 19, 2008, 09:00:06 PM

Why?

He's from greencastle...its the sort of thing they have to say up there to make them sound like hardline provos...right Ziggy  ;)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rossfan on November 19, 2008, 08:17:07 PM
Keep these Yankee Racist fcukers out of our National Stadium and let them take their boring stupid Chess game to Lansdowne Road where such crap belongs.

Happy now Laoislad ?  ;)

I'm always happy
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Why so bitter Ziggy? And American Football was played in Croke Park a long time before soccer and rugby was
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rossfan on November 19, 2008, 10:41:24 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 19, 2008, 10:02:07 PM
[I'm always happy

Even after your Soccer crowd got bet tonight ? :P

Liverpool weren't playing tonight,But OUR country was so I think you should rephrase that to our soccer crowd got beat tonight :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 19, 2008, 08:20:46 PM
Why did they let them play there in 1996 then?

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 19, 2008, 10:03:27 PM
Why so bitter Ziggy? And American Football was played in Croke Park a long time before soccer and rugby was

I wasn't too bad about 1996 either.

Quote from: new devil on November 19, 2008, 09:02:50 PM
He's from greencastle...its the sort of thing they have to say up there to make them sound like hardline provos...right Ziggy  ;)

It's the way we're bred ;)

Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

I was there in 1996, and was the other game in Lansdowne Road, between Pitt and Rutgers? I also seem to remember watching a game from Croker when I was in Arizona. I think it was the Bears against the Steelers or something in pre-season. Would have been 97 or 98 I'd say.