There's sore losers then there's Terry Butcher......

Started by Over the Bar, November 18, 2008, 09:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Maradona shrugs off Butcher snub

New Argentina boss Diego Maradona will not lose any sleep if Terry Butcher refuses to shake his hand at Hampden.

Scotland assistant Butcher said he will never forgive Maradona for the infamous "Hand of God" goal which helped knock England out of the 1986 World Cup.

"No, I will not seek him out," Maradona said. "I don't understand why Butcher has this attitude.

"England won a World Cup with a goal that never crossed the line, so it's not fair that people should judge me."

Maradona has received a warm welcome in Scotland as he prepares for his first game in charge of the national team.

However, former England captain Butcher was not in the mood to join in with the adulation for one of the game's greatest ever players.

"If people are fine with me, I'll greet them," added Maradona.

"Let Butcher get on with his life and I'll get on with my life.

"I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If Butcher doesn't shake my hand, I'll still be alive tomorrow."

Maradona scored his first international goal at Hampden in a 3-1 win at Hampden in 1979 and the Argentine legend has fond memories of Glasgow.

His virtuoso performance won him many fans in Scotland, while his role in eliminating England from the World Cup in Mexico may have added to his list of admirers north of the border.

"I am very much aware of how popular I am and it's great to think I've made them very happy," said Maradona when asked about his relationship with Scottish supporters.

"If I get the chance to make them happy again, that would be marvellous.

"It's something that was very special to me. It was nice to start my international career and get my first goal here.

"What I want to do in terms of repaying them is hopefully put on a good spectacle.

"I feel great. I feel very good. I'm very happy to be back in Scotland after so long away.

"It's a very, very proud moment for me to be heading up the Argentina national side."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7736200.stm
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Doogie Browser

"England won a World Cup with a goal that never crossed the line

I love Maradona

magickingdom

bet maradonas worried about that alright ;) butchers a baby and i wonder has his grudge got anything to do with maradona other goal (when he passed butcher twice). bet he'd have no problem if england stole the game

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Fair play to Terry Butcher for being brutally honest. If Maradonna had done it against Ireland - he'd be hated even more than Schilachi - and I know I dont like Toto.

Maybe it shows that some of the players used to play for pride in the shirt no matter which country they were from.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 18, 2008, 05:41:03 PM

"England won a World Cup with a goal that never crossed the line

I love Maradona

There's no answering that one. Classic.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: magickingdom on November 18, 2008, 06:58:41 PM
bet maradonas worried about that alright ;) butchers a baby and i wonder has his grudge got anything to do with maradona other goal (when he passed butcher twice). bet he'd have no problem if england stole the game

Was listening to talksport today and a couple of people raised the possibility that the MAradona wonder goal was actually a Butcher OG as he made a desperate attempt to get back to tackle.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Minder

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 18, 2008, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on November 18, 2008, 06:58:41 PM

Was listening to talksport today and a couple of people raised the possibility that the MAradona wonder goal was actually a Butcher OG as he made a desperate attempt to get back to tackle.

I heard that a few years ago and it is really difficult to tell who got the last touch. Butcher isnt going to be in a hurry to own up to scoring an OG.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Puckoon on November 18, 2008, 08:15:12 PM
Fair play to Terry Butcher for being brutally honest. If Maradonna had done it against Ireland - he'd be hated even more than Schilachi - and I know I dont like Toto.

Maybe it shows that some of the players used to play for pride in the shirt no matter which country they were from.

I don't think Schillachi was ever hated in Ireland though?  He def broke some hearts at the time alright but was never a public hate figure, sure Smithwicks paid him a small fortune recently to appear in their ad over here.
The media portrayal of Butcher annoyed me, the bloody hero of Stockholm etc.  Good player, crap manager and showing himself up now with stupid comments.
Maybe I am biased but I love Maradona, some great music down the years.

Orior

Terry's mummy says you're a bunch of jealous wasters

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

fred the red

Orior- this isnt the would you/wouldnt you thread!!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 18, 2008, 09:28:16 PM

Agreed that most of the camera angles of this goal appear inconclusive - however there is one, in the official World Cup Film 'Hero', taken at ground level, and looking across the six yard line, that proves beyond all doubt that it was Maradona that got the last touch.

In the words of the great Barry Davies, 'You have to say that's magnificent!'  

mouview

I still hate John Denton for what he did to us in the 1989 semi'

And ya, Barry Davis was a great commentator.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Minder on November 18, 2008, 10:55:53 AM
If i was Butcher i would ask Peter Shilton how a midget out jumped him for the "Hand Of God" goal.

:D :D  that gave me a good laugh!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

You have to love this line "England won a World Cup with a goal that never crossed the line, so it's not fair that people should judge me." ;D. Butcher will likely be even more p*ssed off at Hampden tomorrow when a group of Scotland fans present Diego with his 1986 Scottish Player of the Year award.