Des Bishop on the late late show

Started by his holiness nb, November 17, 2008, 01:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Any signs of Unionist outrage or the likes?
Ask me holy bollix

Tony Baloney

Why what did he do?

Find the fella as funny as toothache.

lurganblue

unionists dont get RTE and if they do, they certainly dont watch it  :P  ;)

under the bar

Anyone gonna give us the jist of what he said?

I think he's quite funny from an 'outsider looking in and taking the piss out of us' point of view.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

his holiness nb

Talking about protestants, said he knows theres protestants in the crowd, he could smell them. Then proceeded to say he loves protestant women "no morals".

It was all in the context of slagging of the catholics and their behaviour in mass, I must say I found the whole piece hilarious. Totally harmless of course, and no nastiness involved, just the way things are these days as soon as he made the protestant comments I thought to myself "there'll be complaints over that".

I havent heard of anything yet, which is refreshing.

In fairness to Bishop, it was a funny piece and he wasnt doing Tommy Tiernans trick of saying controversial stuff just to be controversial, it was all in good humour and very funny.
Ask me holy bollix

under the bar

Unlikely to be any Unionist outrage then since and prods in the audience would have been likely free-staters.

T Fearon

Quite funny, particularly the idiosyncracies of some mass goers. Loved the one about the boy getting out quick after Holy Communion because there was no Sunday Independents left last week :D

His comments were clearly tongue in cheek and Pady Kielty got away with far worse as regards both sides on BBC North of Ireland for years

Canalman

Expect the "outrage" sometime midweek when word filters up to them of this affront to their existence.

Main Street

I´ll record the repeat so,
there's no way I could watch a whole LLS, no matter how good the outrage potential is.

The Real Laoislad

Don't like Des Bishop and don't find him at all funny.
Was at a show of his at the cats laugh festival in Kilkenny a few years ago,It was a very small room in a pub called Cleere's,There was only about 100 of us there..He was woefull and just talked about his new show all the time.
I think it was the TV programme where he went around working minimum wage jobs for a month,which in fairness were actually decent enough programmes but I thought his material for the show we were at should have contained more than a advertising for his show and self gloating of how great he was for working these jobs  ::) A couple of people actually left and when there are only a 100 people in a small room at the show it was really noticed!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

nifan

Quote from: Main Street on November 17, 2008, 02:19:28 PM
there's no way I could watch a whole LLS, no matter how good the outrage potential is.

Seconded!

Des Bishop is rubbish, saw him in queens about 10 years ago, then saw him about 5 years later and he was still doing the same routine basically.

Tiernan may court controversy, but he can be very funny.

You cant beat Dara O'B for an Irish comedian though.

Orior

I demand some outrage by unionists! Or have we banned them all?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lynchbhoy

I suppose a lot of these comedians are hit and miss. I like most  - only a few I find unfunny - deirdre okane springing to mind.

saw a tv documentary on ginger headed eoghan o'neill from cookstown talking about his childhood in the town, when a car drove past and some lad roared out 'ya fenian basturt' - he chuckled and made some remark about how some things havent changed.
A few weeks later I was down at the cat laughs festival. the sunday morning I was trapsing about the town hung over and happened upon the hard to miss mr e O'Neill of the bright red carroty ginger hair.
I walked a few steps passed him , turned back and shouted, 'hey owen , ya feinan basturt' which made him laugh ( a lot more than he made me laugh a couple of nights previous).

Think a lot of these guys are hit and miss due to the material and I dont envy them at all. I find bishop usually funny (apart from a story I heard about him which I cannot disclose which kind of puts me off him). Tiernan can be very funny, his TV show series was great. Kielty used to be funny, and dara obrian is brilliant. Jimeoin one of the funniest I ever saw.
I suppose you have to be in the mood though. At the cat laughs theres too many sour faced feckers that sit there with an attitude of 'ok, then make me laugh' and are just not receptive to it.
Laoislad, yer a moany fecker and need to get laid before going to any of them gigs in order to find them funny!
;)

full back

Quote from: nifan on November 17, 2008, 02:30:52 PM
You cant beat Dara O'B for an Irish comedian though.

Anyone ever hear the story of a poster on this board drinking with him until 5am 'one time in band camp' ?