Connacht Final 1980

Started by fearglasmor, November 16, 2008, 03:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearglasmor

Can anyone name the Roscommon team that won the Connacht final in 1980.

Moose

Owenmoresider

Give me a while and i'll have it posted up for you.

Turlough O Carolan

Roscommon won 4 in a row that Sunday in very sad circumstances for both teams - as two Gardai had been shot dead in the county after a bank raid in Ballaghaderreen, one former Mayo great John Morley.

The Roscommon team for the record was:

Roscommon 3-13 Mayo 0-8

Gay Sheerin, Harry Keegan, Pat Lindsay, Gerry Connellan, Gerry Fitzmaurice, Tom Donnellan, Danny Murray, Dermot Earley (0-1), Seamus Hayden, John "Jigger" O'Connor (1-3). John O'Gara (0-1), A Dooley, Michael Finneran (1-5), Tony McManus (1-1), Eamon McManus (0-2).

Mayo had not won a Connacht title in over ten years but Willie Joe Padden came on that day and showed his potential.

Owenmoresider

Thanks Turlough, saved me digging up the info from the books around here. Which players won All-Stars that year btw?

Turlough O Carolan

I believe it was Harry Keegan, Gerry Connellan and Danny Murray. Ros forwards put up some amazing scores that year and I thought Tony Mac, Jigger and Finneran were hard done. A poor performance in All-Ireland cost Earley that year.

Owenmoresider

Cheers, have met Gerry a few times lately, thought he had one alright but didn't want to ask. A fine team, shame they didn't win it, but unlike others at least ye performed well against Kerry in an AIF. ;)

fearglasmor

dodo

Sure didn't Ross start with 2 Mayomen that day......no shame them Rossies !  ;)

moysider

Best team that I ve seen come out of Connacht. Unlucky to run into one of the teams ever.
It has to be said that Mayo were in one hell of a mess at that time. There were decent players about but........
I dread the return of similar times.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 16, 2008, 06:52:53 PM
Cheers, have met Gerry a few times lately, thought he had one alright but didn't want to ask. A fine team, shame they didn't win it, but unlike others at least ye performed well against Kerry in an AIF. ;)

Remind me please how Sligo did in the AIFs please... Oh yeah, you can't can you.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.