wind that shakes the barley

Started by youngfella, November 14, 2008, 12:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

I just seen it there, three of were quiet the whole way during. powerful film, puts things in prespective about how lucky we really are, only 80/90 years you could be killed for swing a stick or kicking a ball. Im very moved by it.
Pull hard and early

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

downgirl

Love that film its one of my faves.  Do you not like it Ziggy?

ziggysego

I do like it, very good.

youngfella... well I just think he's drunk tonight.
Testing Accessibility

youngfella

I maybe had a we bit of black bush after the film
Pull hard and early

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Mentalman

Quote from: youngfella on November 14, 2008, 12:32:34 AM

But were you drinking too? ;)
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

youngfella

Quote from: Mentalman on November 14, 2008, 12:37:39 AM

what would your mother say? Go wash your mouth out with soap
Pull hard and early

Mentalman

Quote from: youngfella on November 14, 2008, 12:46:18 AM
Quote from: Mentalman on November 14, 2008, 12:37:39 AM

what would your mother say? Go wash your mouth out with soap

You're right, shame on me  :)

As to the movie, I would agree, some real lump in the throat moments in there - powerful I think is the word to describe it best.

milltown row

thought the film was going to be better than what it was, prefer a history book to the taking of liberties shown in this film.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Decent enough film, but let down by some dreadful acting.

And don't be spoiling my fun this time by having the thread locked Mentalman, or am I being bigoted and on a rant because I'm disagreeing with someone?  ;) :P

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mentalman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 14, 2008, 03:53:44 PM
Decent enough film, but let down by some dreadful acting.

And don't be spoiling my fun this time by having the thread locked Mentalman, or am I being bigoted and on a rant because I'm disagreeing with someone?  ;) :P

No man, in many ways I don't think we'd be that far apart politically, I'm just not a fan of the green airbrushing of history - i.e. the whole country rose up in 1916 and were all totally behind it, and  in the War of Independence the Freestaters were the bad guys - it's another case of the victors writing the history. The truth is far more awkward and nuanced, and the sanitised version doesn't match the facts is all. I really didn't think there was any point continueing as it was no longer on topic and getting personal, I have to say particularly your remarks to the lads about wearing the poppy -if you had said that to me, to my face, we would have had a slight disagreement being honest. I never accused you of being a bigot though. Ultimately it was Tankies decision to lock her down, could see a couple of bans coming down the line the way you boys were going at her.

Anyway, The Wind That Shakes The Barley is a work of drama, so artistic licence is expected. Historical facts are something else entirely. Have to say I found the scene where they are heading out for the ambush stirring to say the least.

Fear ón Srath Bán

No worries MM, perhaps I did wind that issue up just a little bit too much, just a tad  ;)

By the way, I'm under no illusions about the splintered nature of the 1916 Rising support and participation.

Anyways, artistic licence is one thing, but woeful acting is another.

Mentalman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 14, 2008, 04:46:20 PM
Anyways, artistic licence is one thing, but woeful acting is another.

Agreed! Still liked it though. I thought the standard of acting was bad in Michael Collins, as was the script, and riddled with inaccuracies and artistic licence....but there are still several scenes that catch the attention, "Belfast Efficiency" being one in particular.

Fear ón Srath Bán

True, the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts in both films. The ambush scene in TWTSTB is particularly memorable indeed, as was Ian Mc Elhinney's brief appearance in MC.