The official Xbox360 thread - or the no ONLs' club

Started by corn02, November 13, 2008, 10:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneboi

Keep an eye out on Amazon over the next few days if your thinking of buying a console. They are having a massive sale for Black Friday and they were advertising Xbox 360 as having 60% off RRP but its first come first served i think.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 22, 2010, 01:48:43 PM
I was a big gamer in school and college but I have not played as much in recent years.

Im getting an XBox 360 soon and its my first console since the PS2 which I stopped playing about 3-4 years ago.

Is there a list of Must Play games for the 360 in the last few years I could look out for and get second hand?
Anyone want to give me their top 5?  ;)

Depends, what sort of games you like?  There's loads of good games you can pick up for f**k all second hand.

Quote from: Celt_Man on November 22, 2010, 12:14:47 AM
gentlemen, thinking about getting a Xbox 360 sometime in the near future - quick question, is it good to go to connect to the internet by wireless straight away or how does it connect for online play?
I've had a long day but that question doesn't seem to make sense... ???
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

paco

For anyone who cares...my top 5 would be (in no particular order):
COD: Modern Warfare 2
Gears of War (both of them)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
GTA4
Red Dead Redemption

All very similar games, don't care much for sports games any more and this year is the first year I won't be buying FIFA or Pro Evo! Would highly recommend having a look through Xbox Live Arcade, some brilliant older titles available for download.

Celt_Man

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 22, 2010, 06:45:51 PM
gentlemen, thinking about getting a Xbox 360 sometime in the near future - quick question, is it good to go to connect to the internet by wireless straight away or how does it connect for online play?

Yea I don't think it does either - bit of a brain fart while writing that it seems...

To simplify - how does a Xbox 360 connect to the internet, specifically for online play, is a wireless connection??

(think that makes sense)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

take_yer_points

Quote from: Celt_Man on November 23, 2010, 12:08:31 AM

Yea I don't think it does either - bit of a brain fart while writing that it seems...

To simplify - how does a Xbox 360 connect to the internet, specifically for online play, is a wireless connection??

(think that makes sense)

The older consoles don't have wireless built in - you have to buy a wireless adapter separately which isn't the cheapest thing in the world and not the most reliable either I've heard.

The newer ones have wireless built in.

If I was using an older version without wireless I'd be tempted to use two of those things that carry data over your electric wires in the house - you just plug them into th socket and then plug your ethernet cables into them. Sounds a lot more reliable than the wireless and you can use them for things other than the xbox. I also think they're not far off the same price as the xbox adapter.

thebigfella

Quote from: take_yer_points on November 23, 2010, 10:26:43 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 23, 2010, 12:08:31 AM

(think that makes sense)

The older consoles don't have wireless built in - you have to buy a wireless adapter separately which isn't the cheapest thing in the world and not the most reliable either I've heard.
The newer ones have wireless built in.

If I was using an older version without wireless I'd be tempted to use two of those things that carry data over your electric wires in the house - you just plug them into th socket and then plug your ethernet cables into them. Sounds a lot more reliable than the wireless and you can use them for things other than the xbox. I also think they're not far off the same price as the xbox adapter.

Never had an issue with the wireless adapter at all, nor do I know of any one who has had.

Shrek

i used to use these plugs with my PS3, i thought they where great as i always prefer hard-wired to wireless.

paco

Bought the wireless adapter myself and 12 month's Xbox Live membership for just over £70. No complaints, think I put the link for it from Amazon a few pages back on this thread.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bridgegael

got the dreaded 3 red ring last week,  is my console fucked or is there anyway of fixin it?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

David McKeown

You fancy trying the towel trick. Plenty of IT shops about the place offer a fixer no charge policy on the three rings so I think you should be grand. Mplex in Belfast and a place on Stockmans lane have a good rep for it.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

fingerbob

Don't do the towel trick, it'll only make the problem worse. If you're anyway handy electronic wise there is a really cheap and easy way of fixing it. I've done it on about 6 consoles and it worked on all but one of them that just seemed to be completely banjaxed. It just involves taking the console apart and cleaning the thermal paste of the cpu and gpu (which is just plastered on) and applying new paste neatly. That might sound a bit complicated to those unfamiliar with the terms but there are kits you can buy on amazon with all the equipment you need as well as step by step instructions. They're only about 3-4 quid and sure as hell beats forking out 100+ for a new console. Here's a link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-RROD-Repair-Kit/dp/B003TU2XBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312035459&sr=8-1

thebigfella

Phone Microsoft support and ask if they will fix it free of charge, most likely they will.

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

take_yer_points

Quote from: fingerbob on July 30, 2011, 03:18:39 PM
Don't do the towel trick, it'll only make the problem worse. If you're anyway handy electronic wise there is a really cheap and easy way of fixing it. I've done it on about 6 consoles and it worked on all but one of them that just seemed to be completely banjaxed. It just involves taking the console apart and cleaning the thermal paste of the cpu and gpu (which is just plastered on) and applying new paste neatly. That might sound a bit complicated to those unfamiliar with the terms but there are kits you can buy on amazon with all the equipment you need as well as step by step instructions. They're only about 3-4 quid and sure as hell beats forking out 100+ for a new console. Here's a link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-RROD-Repair-Kit/dp/B003TU2XBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312035459&sr=8-1

I did this and replaced the x clips that hold the heat sinks down but still have the 3 rings - I'm not sure if I've missed a step or something

1) Took the xbox apart
2) Cleaned thermal paste off and applied new paste
3) Reconnected heat sinks using new screws and washers
4) Put all back together and turned it on

I've left it on for about an hour with the red rings flashing and tried restarting it (I'd read that sometimes you need to do this to give it time to start working again) but the red rings are still there. Any other advice before I go and fork out for a new xbox?