The official Xbox360 thread - or the no ONLs' club

Started by corn02, November 13, 2008, 10:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerbob

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 01, 2011, 03:35:06 PM
Quote from: fingerbob on July 30, 2011, 03:18:39 PM
Don't do the towel trick, it'll only make the problem worse. If you're anyway handy electronic wise there is a really cheap and easy way of fixing it. I've done it on about 6 consoles and it worked on all but one of them that just seemed to be completely banjaxed. It just involves taking the console apart and cleaning the thermal paste of the cpu and gpu (which is just plastered on) and applying new paste neatly. That might sound a bit complicated to those unfamiliar with the terms but there are kits you can buy on amazon with all the equipment you need as well as step by step instructions. They're only about 3-4 quid and sure as hell beats forking out 100+ for a new console. Here's a link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-RROD-Repair-Kit/dp/B003TU2XBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312035459&sr=8-1

I did this and replaced the x clips that hold the heat sinks down but still have the 3 rings - I'm not sure if I've missed a step or something

1) Took the xbox apart
2) Cleaned thermal paste off and applied new paste
3) Reconnected heat sinks using new screws and washers
4) Put all back together and turned it on

I've left it on for about an hour with the red rings flashing and tried restarting it (I'd read that sometimes you need to do this to give it time to start working again) but the red rings are still there. Any other advice before I go and fork out for a new xbox?

Did it change to two red lights at any point? You've missed a vital step. Before putting it all back together you have to overheat the gpu to let the thermal paste do its job (also make sure you really clean the past of thoroughly before reapplying. So basically you have to plug the xbox in while its still taken apart, but place the fan facing down on top of the cpu but NOT the gpu. You turn the xbox on for a 30 minutes or so and wait for the lights to change to just two which means the console has overheated. Then turn it all off and leave it to cool for a while and it should work. That's it as far as I can remember as it has been a while since I did it. Usually the kits have a step by step instruction guide that go into a lot more detail. Again there was one I tried all of this on a few times over and it didn't work. If you need anymore help give me a shout, sorry if that sounds a bit complicated!

take_yer_points

eiled in the bushes

just downloaded beta version of battlefield 3,a few glitches but hopefully any problems should be sorted out before the full release.  looks like its gonna be awesome,cant wait.
get some metal in your life

gerry

My friend has two xboxs  and is given me one for free which is nice of him. Do any of you know a good mod or chip so I can play homebrew games on. I will not be going online so it not be a probable getting blocked.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

The Worker

paco

Anyone got Battlefield: Bad Company 3? I had the last one and COD:MW2, but cant decide whether to go for BC3 or wait for MW3!

Forever Green

Quote from: paco on November 03, 2011, 10:41:19 AM
Anyone got Battlefield: Bad Company 3? I had the last one and COD:MW2, but cant decide whether to go for BC3 or wait for MW3!

Heard that Battlefield 3 is an incredible game and will overhaul Call of Duty this time around. Modern Warfare does look stunning as well so I am undecided as well  ;D

Saw the trailer for GTA 5 and it looks very impressive. Finally, a return to San Andreas. Cant wait for this one with May 2012 being touted as a possible release date

pintsofguinness

Battlefield is great!!
I'm giving call of duty a miss this year, for the first time.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

David McKeown

Got Battlefield last week and was very unimpressed just about to start Modern Warfare 3 although I never play online. Have played Arkham City and Gears 3 in recent weeks and would highly recommend both.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: David McKeown on November 04, 2011, 12:40:55 PM
Got Battlefield last week and was very unimpressed

The single player campaign is meant to be only alright. Battlefield really is designed for online play.

thebigfella

Got Battlefield last week and was very unimpressed just about to start Modern Warfare 3 although I never play online. Have played Arkham City and Gears 3 in recent weeks and would highly recommend both.

Your doing well since it's not out till the 8th  :P

David McKeown

I think the end of that sentence may have given away how I have it.  Been available since last week
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

pintsofguinness

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 04, 2011, 01:05:54 PM
Got Battlefield last week and was very unimpressed

The single player campaign is meant to be only alright. Battlefield really is designed for online play.
The single player is shit! 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?