Saving Africa's Witch Children

Started by An Fear Rua, November 13, 2008, 09:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/dispatches/saving+africas+witch+children/2780062

Did anyone see this last night?

Shocked is about the only way I could describe how I felt, bad bad stuff going on in Nigeria

Its Grim up North

mylestheslasher

That link doesn't seem to be working. Can you give us a summary (although I am not sure I have the stomach for what you are going to say)

An Fear Rua

link repaired.

Basically "preachers" and men of God are making money from poor people by curing their children of being witches and wizzards. Parts of the cure includes locking them up in dark rooms for long periods (years),starving them and making them drink all manners of concoctions. They are the lucky ones, the children who are not cured are subjected to beatings, burinings, having acid thrown on them  etc, by their parents all in he name of a cure, or are outcast from the villages under pain of death , some of them as young as 3 years old, and have to go and fend for themselves - All so a "preacher" can make a few quid
Its Grim up North

mylestheslasher

Quote from: An Fear Rua on November 13, 2008, 09:15:58 AM
link repaired.

Basically "preachers" and men of God are making money from poor people by curing their children of being witches and wizzards. Parts of the cure includes locking them up in dark rooms for long periods (years),starving them and making them drink all manners of concoctions. They are the lucky ones, the children who are not cured are subjected to beatings, burinings, having acid thrown on them  etc, by their parents all in he name of a cure, or are outcast from the villages under pain of death , some of them as young as 3 years old, and have to go and fend for themselves - All so a "preacher" can make a few quid

Thats pretty digusting but not surprising for some of the stuff that goes on in Nigeria and some other African countries. I'm afraid education is the only solution to the problem and unfortunately its not a quick solution.

illdecide

Seriously i started to watch that and turned it over after 10 mins. that was f**king brutal stuff what they were doing to them kids, i couldn't watch that...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

take_yer_points

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 13, 2008, 09:17:44 AM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on November 13, 2008, 09:15:58 AM
link repaired.

Thats pretty digusting but not surprising for some of the stuff that goes on in Nigeria and some other African countries. I'm afraid education is the only solution to the problem and unfortunately its not a quick solution.

One of the preachers was saying that in his region alone there's 2.3 million witches and wizards in his region - at £130 or £170 or whatever it was to cure each one he's definitely making a few quid!!

The bit as well where we brought the wee girl called Mary back to her village and her whole family sent her away with him again was unreal!!

An Fear Rua

There was a young girl that had a 3 inch nail driven into her skull in order to get the witch out.
Its Grim up North

nifan

I missed it, forgot all about it.

terrible, and the fact that it is done in the name of christianity should bring some perspective to those who condemn muslims due to the zealots of their lot.

maddog

Quote from: nifan on November 13, 2008, 09:38:35 AM
I missed it, forgot all about it.

terrible, and the fact that it is done in the name of christianity should bring some perspective to those who condemn muslims due to the zealots of their lot.

The difference being that most Christians will recoil at that show last night, won't try to justify or excuse it.

nifan

Most muslims wouldnt support the stoning of a girl to death.

And seemingly many christians in nigeria are complicit.

lynchbhoy

a lot of unscrupulous folk out there makin money in the name of religion - whether christian or not

the tv evangelists for a start are thieves imo

brother worked with a guy (in carribean) whos father 'owned' a church in honduras or some central american country.
he was going to go take it over when the father retired. The father apparantly had fcuk all background in 'religion' but saw a money making racket and went for it.
sickening.

full back

It was a shocking show, f**king shocking

It was compelling viewing at the same time being very harrowing.

Hereiam

You are all forget that this sort of thing went on in britian in the past, burning witches, and not to mention the things done in the name of science. How can you be shocked by what is going on over there.

Minder

Would you say that sort of behaviour is common in the 21st century Hereiam? I dont think they have been burning witches lately in England
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

full back

Quote from: Hereiam on November 13, 2008, 09:54:09 AM
You are all forget that this sort of thing went on in britian in the past, burning witches, and not to mention the things done in the name of science. How can you be shocked by what is going on over there.

Im was shocked because this is happening 'now' , not centuries ago