Kennelly coming home - AFL overreaction?

Started by corn02, November 12, 2008, 02:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: AFS on January 29, 2009, 07:08:55 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 29, 2009, 07:02:53 PM
I don't see what Kennelly's decision has to do with giving advise to Coney. Did Coney need Tadhg there to hold his hand or something? Of course he was going to recommend Sydney for him. He's been there ten years, its not as if he's jumping ship after a year. Tyrone boys bending over backwards here to see an anti-Tyrone agenda from a Kerryman.

As for his chances, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kennelly will excel at football and, if he stays injury free, is a shoo-in for an All Star in his first year. The key for Jack O'Connor is how he brings him in - he can't call him straight in. He might have to play a couple of club games or trial games and then come on stream. The fact that he's coming home now though means he's not flying in for the All-Ireland so it will be easier to assimilate him.

The man is going to be a major success. He stands at 6'2" and having stood beside him when I met him in Sydney, he is a big boy! The thing is he is not used in Aussie Rules as a physical player - they see his strength being his pace, skill, courage and ball carrying. While he mightn't be a giant in Aussie Rules terms, he will be a bigger than normal Gaelic footballer and combined with serious speed and skill (which will come with the round ball quickly enough) will make him a formidable Gaelic footballer.

He'll probably slot in at midfield beside Darragh O Se but will be comfortable anywhere on the half-back line or half-forward line while he has had occasion to play for the Swans in the Aussie Rules equavalent of corner-back. A serious, serious boost for Kerry and I'll be interested to see if they come in in price for winning next year. If they don't, get on! To repeat, the only concern I'd have is the injuries but he's playing a less physical sport and less demanding in terms of energy too..

A lot
of assumptions of a guy that hasn't touched a round ball for the best part of a decade.

Jez, he's bound to be bursting for a slash.   :D

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on January 29, 2009, 07:12:32 PM
I don't see what Kennelly's decision has to do with giving advise to Coney. Did Coney need Tadhg there to hold his hand or something? Of course he was going to recommend Sydney for him. He's been there ten years, its not as if he's jumping ship after a year. Tyrone boys bending over backwards here to see an anti-Tyrone agenda from a Kerryman.

As for his chances, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kennelly will excel at football and, if he stays injury free, is a shoo-in for an All Star in his first year. The key for Jack O'Connor is how he brings him in - he can't call him straight in. He might have to play a couple of club games or trial games and then come on stream. The fact that he's coming home now though means he's not flying in for the All-Ireland so it will be easier to assimilate him.

The man is going to be a major success. He stands at 6'2" and having stood beside him when I met him in Sydney, he is a big boy! The thing is he is not used in Aussie Rules as a physical player - they see his strength being his pace, skill, courage and ball carrying. While he mightn't be a giant in Aussie Rules terms, he will be a bigger than normal Gaelic footballer and combined with serious speed and skill (which will come with the round ball quickly enough) will make him a formidable Gaelic footballer.

He'll probably slot in at midfield beside Darragh O Se but will be comfortable anywhere on the half-back line or half-forward line while he has had occasion to play for the Swans in the Aussie Rules equavalent of corner-back. A serious, serious boost for Kerry and I'll be interested to see if they come in in price for winning next year. If they don't, get on! To repeat, the only concern I'd have is the injuries but he's playing a less physical sport and less demanding in terms of energy too..

A lot
of assumptions of a guy that hasn't touched a round ball for the best part of a decade.

Jez, he's bound to be bursting for a slash.   :D

:o :D ;)  Wait and see gentlemen, wait and see
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

DUBSFORSAM1

A lot

Well the AFL players pick up how to kick the round ball in about 2/3 weeks when they are playing compromise rules so shouldn't be so hard for someone who had played for 10 years previously and who also plays around when at home also...

tyssam5

What year did Tadhg head out. Woild his last game in a Kerry jersey have been the 1997 minor semi vs. Tyrone? Was a great game.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2009, 07:01:11 PM
maybe because as someone who has excelled as a top professional in a dog eat dog environment he might actually have something to pass on to young players. tadgh is a class act as people will find out for themselves over time and with his knowledge of pro sports , different training techniques and love of gf the gaa could do alot worse

anyway i hope it works out for tadgh...

It's tadhg, TADHG FFS! (Don't worry, we'll keep you Kerry boys straight!) ;)

I don't think he'll have much of a problem getting back into the (Gaelic) football groove again, he's too much natural class and ability for that, injuries permitting. With Dara's star in the descendant, he just might be the man. Then again, there's no Mickey Harte in Oz!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

magickingdom

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 29, 2009, 10:31:35 PM
maybe because as someone who has excelled as a top professional in a dog eat dog environment he might actually have something to pass on to young players. tadgh is a class act as people will find out for themselves over time and with his knowledge of pro sports , different training techniques and love of gf the gaa could do alot worse

I don't think he'll have much of a problem getting back into the (Gaelic) football groove again, he's too much natural class and ability for that, injuries permitting. With Dara's star in the descendant, he just might be the man. Then again, there's no Mickey Harte in Oz!

oops typo!

he'd be a great full back for us btw, watch out sean cavanagh

tyssam5

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2009, 11:01:29 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 29, 2009, 10:31:35 PM

oops typo!

Ah sure we'd no bother with him as a minor. :P

hayeser

I would worry Kennelly could be the biggest cancer ever to hit the GAA. I hate seeing the Aussies cherry pick our best talent.

It was annoying to see the O'Halpins leave Cork, Pearse Hanley leave Mayo but the real worry is for the weaker counties. In the successful counties a played has to decide between success and fame at home or possibly the same in Australia plus the chance to be a professional athlete. I would say 99% of players from the weaker counties (i.e. a footballer from Tipperary) will up sticks at the drop of a hat especially with the current economic climate in Ireland. Ian Ryan of Limerick could be a good example if offered a contract .. This would be a disaster for the GAA, weaker counties would find it impossible to close the gap and make progress if their best talent is going down under.

There was talk a while back that Kennelly was going to set up a rival recruitment agency to Nixon. He is a smart guy, Nixon is not trusted here or in Australia, Tadhg Kennelly is regarded as Mr Nice guy in both places. I see him setting out him self within a few years, then we will see a real talent drain ... A bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing I reckon, I wouldn't celebrate his return too much if I were a kingdom supporter.

From the examiner ***************

Kennelly expects more Aussie clubs to concentrate their attention on Ireland in the search for new talent.

"Without a doubt there are a lot of interest with two new clubs coming into the competition as well and clubs losing draft picks (because of draft concessions to new clubs)," said Kennelly.

"They are going to be looking for readymade talent and obviously Ireland has been a proven success at that and so more clubs are going to look for kids from Ireland.

"I will head back and be encouraging anyone who wants to come over here to give it a crack."

Jinxy

Look, if there's one thing Tadhg has learned from Australian sportsman, it's how to talk complete sh*te when a tape recorder is shoved in his face.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ildanach

i think he will more suited to centre half back. will have some presence there and is bound to be great around the breaking ball
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

mattockranger

Quote from: ildanach on January 30, 2009, 05:50:23 PM

i think he will more suited to centre half back. will have some presence there and is bound to be great around the breaking ball

I think so aswell ,
centre half will be his spot and o'mahony to sort out the full back line
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

magickingdom

Quote from: hayeser on January 30, 2009, 09:59:54 AM
I would worry Kennelly could be the biggest cancer ever to hit the GAA. I hate seeing the Aussies cherry pick our best talent.

It was annoying to see the O'Halpins leave Cork, Pearse Hanley leave Mayo but the real worry is for the weaker counties. In the successful counties a played has to decide between success and fame at home or possibly the same in Australia plus the chance to be a professional athlete. I would say 99% of players from the weaker counties (i.e. a footballer from Tipperary) will up sticks at the drop of a hat especially with the current economic climate in Ireland. Ian Ryan of Limerick could be a good example if offered a contract .. This would be a disaster for the GAA, weaker counties would find it impossible to close the gap and make progress if their best talent is going down under.

There was talk a while back that Kennelly was going to set up a rival recruitment agency to Nixon. He is a smart guy, Nixon is not trusted here or in Australia, Tadhg Kennelly is regarded as Mr Nice guy in both places. I see him setting out him self within a few years, then we will see a real talent drain ... A bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing I reckon, I wouldn't celebrate his return too much if I were a kingdom supporter.

From the examiner ***************

Kennelly expects more Aussie clubs to concentrate their attention on Ireland in the search for new talent.

"Without a doubt there are a lot of interest with two new clubs coming into the competition as well and clubs losing draft picks (because of draft concessions to new clubs)," said Kennelly.

"They are going to be looking for readymade talent and obviously Ireland has been a proven success at that and so more clubs are going to look for kids from Ireland.

"I will head back and be encouraging anyone who wants to come over here to give it a crack."

you got any views on listowel rugby which on the back of munsters success had over 100 kids playing rugby a few weeks ago? kennelly might stem that flow btw. in the 25 year history of the afl/gaa were talking about less then 30 players max trying it out. soccer and rugby are the gaa comperitors (and good luck to them) not the afl