Children In Need ?

Started by Minder, November 12, 2008, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Donagh on November 12, 2008, 03:19:38 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 12, 2008, 03:11:14 PM
The point i am trying to make, and im sure you are well aware of it, is if you are being paid for work (he has been paid every year for presenting it since the early 80's) and then are told you are not getting it you may be a little bit upset. He only said he would donate it to charity when the s*it hit the fan. Also not sure what you mean when you say it was an "honorary" payment..........

What delboy is trying to explain is that Wogan receives an 'honorarium'. This is not a fee for services rendered but a voluntary payment from the charity as a way of saying thanks and covering any unexpected personal costs i.e. there are no terms or conditions attached. This is pretty normal when working with charitable institutions. I was in receipt of an 'honorarium' for a number of years as the giver recognised that there were tax implications for me due to the work I was doing for them. The 'honorarium' was not sought out but given ex-gratia by them.

Wogan was paid £9065 as a "presenter payment" by the BBC not Children in Need.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Donagh

Quote from: Minder on November 12, 2008, 03:21:40 PM
Wogan was paid £9065 as a "presenter payment" by the BBC not Children in Need.

Presumably on behalf of the charity which they run.

red hander

I'd happily agree to a donation being debited from my salary on this Friday every year for the rest of my working life if the BBC happily agreed to stop foisting such excerable crap on TV

johnneycool

Quote from: red hander on November 12, 2008, 03:38:27 PM
I'd happily agree to a donation being debited from my salary on this Friday every year for the rest of my working life if the BBC happily agreed to stop foisting such excerable crap on TV

ditto some moron dressed in a fancy dress costume shaking a plastic bucket with Pudsey fuckin bear on it in your direction.

nifan

At least the moron is doing something for charity, there are many many things that concern me more.

You can see who actually received funding here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/grants/map.shtml

johnneycool

Quote from: nifan on November 12, 2008, 05:18:28 PM
At least the moron is doing something for charity, there are many many things that concern me more.

You can see who actually received funding here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/grants/map.shtml

And so am I but i don't need to put on a song and dance about it.

nifan

True enough, they would probably have raised 30m last year anyway if they habdnt made a song and dance out of it.

Minder

At least all the youth workers and "community workers" are kept in business.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

I would give to charity every day of the week for this day not to exist (on BBC).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: ziggysego on November 12, 2008, 01:53:49 PM
Makes me cringe.

Still, looking forward to see the Doctor Who Special.

I never got the whole Dr Who thing
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Met some lad dressed up as this Pugsy character. Seems he is a bit of a cultural phenonomen over here in Britain. Was a bit taken aback that everybody who knew who he was except me.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 16, 2013, 02:52:37 AM
Met some lad dressed up as this Pugsy character. Seems he is a bit of a cultural phenonomen over here in Britain. Was a bit taken aback that everybody who knew who he was except me.

I'm taken aback that you're taken aback. It's akin to a Brit encountering a St Patrick's Day parade for the first time and expressing surprise that all the locals knew what it was.

thebigfella

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 16, 2013, 02:52:37 AM

Do you actually think anyone believes that sh1te? We all get it you are Irish, well f**king done ::)

Bingo

They are some absolute ballbags on here. You may not like it and it may have it's faults ( as does everyone and everything in life) but the genuine good causes it supports far out weigh any "undeserving" ones. Watched a parent story about how their two wee lads both dies within two weeks of each other from a condition they had, aged 4 and 18months. Both had short and painful lives. Anything that is done to help them should be encouraged.

If ye don't like it change the channel. Simple. Actually why not do something productive and get sponsored not to watch it. Too cool for school some people.

Hereiam

As I said on the poppy thread Panorama have uncovered that the money raised by CIN over the years had been put into high yeild investment funds before it was passed on. In some cases there is money fro  the 80s that is still in these funds. It was to be aired by was shelved. Would not and have never give a penny to this farce.