The official new GAA kits thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, November 11, 2008, 11:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 12, 2008, 04:30:29 PM
Offaly 2003(after being beat by Laois on our way to winning Leinster  ;) )

Offaly 2008

Mean hoors won't even spend money on a new design
And before that they had the same jersey from 1994 til 2000 or 2001. Those Biffos know how to get the most out of their jersey designs.

Hopefully Sligo will change, don't like the current one (grey, WTF?). Preferably changing back to O'Neills too, but the Southern cabal are fully behind Azzurri so fat chance of that happening.

donelli

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 12, 2008, 01:59:34 PM
O'Neill's have had plenty of competition, but i'm not sure the competition was up to scratch. O'Neill's jerseys are by far the best. Gaelic Gear jersey's are awful in my opinion.

Also, i don't agree that the market should be open to non-Irish manufacturers - it is important that we support local people and local jobs. The likes of the big global manufactuers might do it cheaper, but they also might use sweatshops to do so.

Just wondering if Monaghan are set for a new jersey in 2009. We've had no change in 4 years now i think.

You reckon that oneills make all the jerseys in this country???
Not a chance. They might be finished here, but they are manufactered abroad....

Time for the market to open up i reckon.

Maguire01

Quote from: donelli on November 13, 2008, 11:01:45 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 12, 2008, 01:59:34 PM
O'Neill's have had plenty of competition, but i'm not sure the competition was up to scratch. O'Neill's jerseys are by far the best. Gaelic Gear jersey's are awful in my opinion.

Also, i don't agree that the market should be open to non-Irish manufacturers - it is important that we support local people and local jobs. The likes of the big global manufactuers might do it cheaper, but they also might use sweatshops to do so.

Just wondering if Monaghan are set for a new jersey in 2009. We've had no change in 4 years now i think.

You reckon that oneills make all the jerseys in this country???
Not a chance. They might be finished here, but they are manufactered abroad....

Time for the market to open up i reckon.

Well they employ people here, in places like Strabane that have little else going on.

What benefit would we get from using the likes of Adidas or Puma? I can't see the replica jerseys being any cheaper, just looking at the soccer jerseys as a comparison.

What would we gain from opening the market?

J70

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 11, 2008, 11:42:49 PM
What Anto and Deco will be wearing from the O'Neills Summer 09 collection.

Dublin jerseys normally aren't bad. That is disgusting!

Farrandeelin

Think Mayo are due a change as well, could be wrong. It's every 3 years we change ours so I thnk it is next year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

cavanmaniac

Competition from the likes of Nike, Adidas etc. would just blow O'Neills out of the water.

The 'cool' factor alone would account for alot but O'Neills also fall down badly on design - they just throw a lot of random stripes and what have you on a jersey and plaster the crest everywhere. It's design for design's sake and doesn't look well at all, there isn't a county jersey out there that you'd wear anywhere other than to a match or training etc, just IMO. Contrast that with jerseys from other sports made by the big hitters, they're fashion items worn everywhere.

O'Neills jerseys were better back before they got high falutin' notions about having to justify the price with 'design'. I'd kill to get hold of the jersey Cavan used to wear in the mid-1980s, nicest Cavan jersey there ever has been. That's why retro shirts are on sale now and doing well by all accounts, because people like the simplistic, clutter free efforts of times gone by.

rrhf

They reckon the new Tyrone shorts are going to have pockets the size of Ciaran Donaghy in them. 
Still think the dubs designers are one step away from the pink away jersey. 

thebandit

Quote from: rrhf on November 14, 2008, 03:56:36 PM
They reckon the new Tyrone shorts are going to have pockets the size of Ciaran Donaghy in them. 
Still think the dubs designers are one step away from the pink away jersey. 

Sure Derry had a pink jersey and look how that worked out for them :D

the green man

Quote from: thebandit on November 14, 2008, 11:49:58 PM
Sure Derry had a pink jersey and look how that worked out for them :D

Bad times.

I hope to god we get a new strip this year an all. That white one we have is horrible. Although I always favoured the Red and white hoop jumper. Which, I believe, is our official 'home' kit

DickyRock

the colonel

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 14, 2008, 11:05:58 AM
Competition from the likes of Nike, Adidas etc. would just blow O'Neills out of the water.

The 'cool' factor alone would account for alot but O'Neills also fall down badly on design - they just throw a lot of random stripes and what have you on a jersey and plaster the crest everywhere. It's design for design's sake and doesn't look well at all, there isn't a county jersey out there that you'd wear anywhere other than to a match or training etc, just IMO. Contrast that with jerseys from other sports made by the big hitters, they're fashion items worn everywhere.

O'Neills jerseys were better back before they got high falutin' notions about having to justify the price with 'design'. I'd kill to get hold of the jersey Cavan used to wear in the mid-1980s, nicest Cavan jersey there ever has been. That's why retro shirts are on sale now and doing well by all accounts, because people like the simplistic, clutter free efforts of times gone by.

cavanmaniac, if you go on the retro gaa website you can suggest shirts for them to make. they do research then to see if it is a viable product
the difference between success and failure is energy

Maguire01

Quote from: the colonel on November 17, 2008, 06:16:05 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 14, 2008, 11:05:58 AM
I'd kill to get hold of the jersey Cavan used to wear in the mid-1980s, nicest Cavan jersey there ever has been. That's why retro shirts are on sale now and doing well by all accounts, because people like the simplistic, clutter free efforts of times gone by.

cavanmaniac, if you go on the retro gaa website you can suggest shirts for them to make. they do research then to see if it is a viable product
I don't think a Cavan jersey from the 80s would be much of a seller.  :P

cavanmaniac

I think that's the mistake the manufacturer's make when choosing...these things sell primarily on how they look, as much as what was achieved (or not) in them. The Cavan jersey was a fine-looking yoke back then. Now it's got a big swathe of navy and big, garish crests, modern jerseys are just muck IMO.

Maguire01

I think they're starting to improve over the last few years actually. I can recall the designs on Armagh tops in particular about 5/6 years ago and it looked like a 3 year old had been let loose with markers - i'm sure other counties were similar. Simple designs are best. Cork are probably one of the closest to this.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 18, 2008, 01:13:35 PM
I think they're starting to improve over the last few years actually. I can recall the designs on Armagh tops in particular about 5/6 years ago and it looked like a 3 year old had been let loose with markers - I'm sure other counties were similar. Simple designs are best. Cork are probably one of the closest to this.
Indeed. Look at the All-Blacks jersey, a wonderfully simple design, if Sligo did a similiar shirt it would be great, but no Azzurri have to go and put grey on it, grey FFS!