Gaa Related books

Started by off the laces, November 11, 2008, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: corn02 on November 14, 2008, 12:49:27 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 12, 2008, 10:32:15 AM
Buy anything by Tom Humphries...

.....apart from that the best one I have read lately was Seán Kelly's book...whether you agree or not with what he did during his term as Uachtarán you would have to admit that it gives a great insight into a time of enormous change in the GAA. His "observations" about a certain "Mr M Greenan" from Cavan make interesting reading.

What did he say about Mr Greenan. A man who seems to get a lot of unwarranted stick for me.

I'd need to go back and go through it for the exact words Corn but he came very close to giving him a smack on one occasion. I'll have another look through it tonight and post up a few snippets....the two boys didnt see eye to eye at all.

There was a thread on here a while ago about Greenan and his various antics and opinions.....from what I can remember he didnt get much support from the lads on here.
The Aristocrat Years

bigfrank

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on November 11, 2008, 10:05:06 PM
Hurling  The revoultion years is a great book..best hurling book i've read. Liam Dunne's book is very good.

Justin McCarthy's book is meant to be very good though I cant get it anywhere.

Amazon.co.uk has everything including this book!!

Minder

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on November 11, 2008, 10:05:06 PM
Hurling  The revoultion years is a great book..best hurling book i've read. Liam Dunne's book is very good.

Justin McCarthy's book is meant to be very good though I cant get it anywhere.

Has anyone read the new book just out, Blood Brothers, about the Cork hurlers?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

was on holiday in France one year and the family next to us was certain sports editor for the Irish Ind. great fella and the family also. heavily into his gaa and wrote a book titled
A.N. Other: 15 G.A.A. Short Stories by P.J. Cunningham

fictional stories but I'm sure most people could remember or associate themselves with some of the stories.

he's with Bray Emmett's, we brought their juveniles up for a match a few years ago and they beat us handy enough. we'd a championship winning team also at the time.

Louth Exile

He's moved on from the Indo now I think, but he used to do a very enjoyable column on a Thursday. Good Writer
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

milltown row

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 14, 2008, 05:17:13 PM
He's moved on from the Indo now I think, but he used to do a very enjoyable column on a Thursday. Good Writer

think he has, do you know where? used to read his column on a thursday also. the book is very good. great story teller

thewingedlady

Quote from: corn02 on Today at 12:49:27 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 12, 2008, 10:32:15 AM
Buy anything by Tom Humphries...

.....apart from that the best one I have read lately was Seán Kelly's book...whether you agree or not with what he did during his term as Uachtarán you would have to admit that it gives a great insight into a time of enormous change in the GAA. His "observations" about a certain "Mr M Greenan" from Cavan make interesting reading.

What did he say about Mr Greenan. A man who seems to get a lot of unwarranted stick for me.

I'd need to go back and go through it for the exact words Corn but he came very close to giving him a smack on one occasion. I'll have another look through it tonight and post up a few snippets....the two boys didnt see eye to eye at all.

There was a thread on here a while ago about Greenan and his various antics and opinions.....from what I can remember he didnt get much support from the lads on here.

Read it recently myself. The spake that I remembered the most was where Greenan was giving a speech at some event that Kelly and his entire family were attending. Grennan said that some people had compared Kelly to Judas over the whole Rule 42 thing, to which Greenan went on and said, "At least Judas had the decency to do away with himself!" What a bastard to say that in front of a mans wife and kids.

leenie

michael o muircheartaigh = from dun sion to croke park!

mickey harte = kicking down heavens door.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

TORGAEL

Totally agree leenie re Michael O'Muircheartaigh's book. A fantastic read.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: TORGAEL on November 16, 2008, 10:52:32 AM
Totally agree leenie re Michael O'Muircheartaigh's book. A fantastic read.

Really enjoyed this one myself.

Louth Exile

Quote from: milltown row on November 14, 2008, 05:21:34 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on November 14, 2008, 05:17:13 PM

think he has, do you know where? used to read his column on a thursday also. the book is very good. great story teller

I haven't a clue what he is at now
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

ONeill

Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2008, 12:01:53 AM

Bought this book within the last week. Would like to ask if any of the Tyronnies have it, especially our native speakers. The Irish in it doesn't seem right to me from start to finish, in almost every placename. For example, they have translated Moy as Mao. Is there something I'm missing?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2008, 09:53:15 AM
Bought this book within the last week. Would like to ask if any of the Tyronnies have it, especially our native speakers. The Irish in it doesn't seem right to me from start to finish, in almost every placename. For example, they have translated Moy as Mao. Is there something I'm missing?

Have it too ONeill, though the idea was good, but some of the photographs are shocking, in fact there are very few decent photos. Regarding the Gaeilge -- don't think you're missing anything, just flawed translations.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

But Jaysus FoSB, it looks brilliant from the outset. Great idea. I'm no expert on the mother tongue but ffs to go to the bother of such a classy looking publication you'd get the correct translation . Mao! Have you checked the rest? Showed it to a teacher of Irish today and he was dumbfounded at the quantity of inaccuracies.

Actually liked many of the photos.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.