13 yr old stoned to death

Started by lfdown2, November 10, 2008, 04:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Any comment, then lads on whether you find laws that discriminate viciously against various minorities, including women and non-believers, acceptable? We'll leave aside the beheading, limb removal and ritual stoning for now, on the basis that that's not likely to be introduced in Europe (yet, anyway). But would anyone care to address my question?

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Zapatista

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 11, 2008, 05:38:55 PM
Find it funny how many times the US gets a mention here ::)
These scum bags are nothing short of throw backs to the 7th century that have no place in
this day and age,

The US is being rightly used in comparison as it best represents the other end of the scale.

Our experience of this day and age is very different to that of war, famine and drought riddled Somalia. The term this day and age is meaningless.

I think there are posters here who want this story to be true.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Zapatista on November 13, 2008, 08:07:01 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on November 11, 2008, 05:38:55 PM
Find it funny how many times the US gets a mention here ::)
These scum bags are nothing short of throw backs to the 7th century that have no place in
this day and age, in any civilized society ;)

The US is being rightly used in comparison as it best represents the other end of the scale.

Our experience of this day and age is very different to that of war, famine and drought riddled Somalia. The term this day and age is meaningless.

I think there are posters here who want this story to be true.

Fixed that for ye, like ye didn't know what i meant :-\
I never called for the nuking of anywhere, nor do I myself wish this story to be true but whether
we wish it or don't wish it, it is still happening was my point, also noticed no comment on the link

Anyway, the reason i bumped this was because Hardy had asked a fairly simplistic  :P though decent question to which I was looking forward to hearing
an answer from the more learned posters here on the subject but to date the jury's still out on a response of any kind...perhaps not as informed as he'd have us believe :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Hardy on November 11, 2008, 09:16:57 PM
Any comment, then lads on whether you find laws that discriminate viciously against various minorities, including women and non-believers, acceptable? We'll leave aside the beheading, limb removal and ritual stoning for now, on the basis that that's not likely to be introduced in Europe (yet, anyway). But would anyone care to address my question?

Completely unacceptable.

Zapatista

Quote from: Hardy on November 11, 2008, 09:16:57 PM

I find it acceptable in Somalia but not in Ireland. Right now it's acceptable in Somalia as I'm under no threat. Do you find it acceptable? Do you have other things to worry about? In fact this story didn't cross my mind after I logged out. I have more sense of outrage at having to pay my TV licence .

Hardy

Supplementary question: Will those who find find laws that discriminate against women, non-believers and blasphemers unacceptable but support their introduction into European law please make their case.

Tyrone's Own - I'm a bit puzzled by your last paragraph- could you clarify?

nifan

Quotediscriminate against women

Christianity is great at not discriminating against women.

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

Hardy

Nifan, if I may say so, you're missing the point. I'm arguing against introducing sharia law into the EU. That NYT article missed the point also. Going on about how recently it was that we had similar laws makes my point for me. We've worked for centuries to eliminate this stuff from our European laws. Our laws no longer permit this kind of discrimination. We no longer have the death penalty. What, then, is the case, having achieved all this, for taking a backward leap and importing a body of law that supports discrimination (at the least)?

maddog

Quote from: Hardy on November 14, 2008, 09:32:21 AM
Nifan, if I may say so, you're missing the point. I'm arguing against introducing sharia law into the EU. That NYT article missed the point also. Going on about how recently it was that we had similar laws makes my point for me. We've worked for centuries to eliminate this stuff from our European laws. Our laws no longer permit this kind of discrimination. We no longer have the death penalty. What, then, is the case, having achieved all this, for taking a backward leap and importing a body of law that supports discrimination (at the least)?

Maybe the EU should have Paddyaria law, every Monday off from May to September.

nifan

I agree with you Hardy -I do not think Sharia law should be imported.

My point (in response to you, but not directed at you) is simply for those who think that muslims are somehow backward when the bible (including the new testemant) is pretty misogynistic at times.

The Iceman

Quote from: nifan on November 14, 2008, 10:35:55 AM
I agree with you Hardy -I do not think Sharia law should be imported.

My point (in response to you, but not directed at you) is simply for those who think that muslims are somehow backward when the bible (including the new testemant) is pretty misogynistic at times.

All depends how you interpret it nifan and most of todays Christians don't manipulate one line of scripture and use that to suppress women, at least not that I know of.
Looking at the bigger picture and comparing the New Testament to Sharia Law is ridiculous
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Zapatista

Quote from: Hardy on November 14, 2008, 09:16:25 AM
Supplementary question: Will those who find find laws that discriminate against women, non-believers and blasphemers unacceptable but support their introduction into European law please make their case.

Are you creating an argument with yourself?

Do you support laws being introduced in Europe that will destroy the environment and make 1 species of insect extinct?

milltown row

all those books are crap, i'd say the new Harry Potter book would be a better read

Hardy

Quote from: Zapatista on November 14, 2008, 03:51:19 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 14, 2008, 09:16:25 AM

Are you creating an argument with yourself?

Do you support laws being introduced in Europe that will destroy the environment and make 1 species of insect extinct?

Are you from Kerry?