Best Footballer in Ireland..

Started by 5 Sams, November 08, 2008, 02:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: The Voice Of Reason on November 09, 2008, 09:31:18 PM
I've had to go with Colm Cooper ... vision-wise he's operating on a different plane to every other footballer in the country in my opinion (he's the only footballer I've watched who has picked out passes that people high up in the stands of Croke Park couldn't even see)

Colm Cooper? Good. But Colm McCulagh was better this season!

DUBSFORSAM1

I always wonder why in these debates its always forwards who get the mention.....what about guys like John Keane, Canty, Thomas O'Se etc.....

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 15, 2008, 08:20:20 AM
QuoteFor the championship season, Tyrone scored 7-126 in 8 games...about 18+ points a game, while Kerry scored 8-100 in 7, a rate of 17+ a game.

Ball Hopper do you have stats for scores from play?

I don't.

Sorry.

johnpower

Quote from: tyssam5 on November 15, 2008, 11:30:07 PM
Quote from: The Voice Of Reason on November 09, 2008, 09:31:18 PM
I've had to go with Colm Cooper ... vision-wise he's operating on a different plane to every other footballer in the country in my opinion (he's the only footballer I've watched who has picked out passes that people high up in the stands of Croke Park couldn't even see)

Colm Cooper? Good. But Colm McCulagh was better this season!

Yes by Colm McCullagh standards I agree .Sean Cavanagh has the potential to emulate the greatest  i,e win the Texaco player of the year 5 years in a row .3 man of the match awards in an all Ireland final .I think he can

Jinxy

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I simply do not get why some people think so highly of Benny Coulter. Is it because of what he's done or what you feel he is capable of doing?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lurganblue

Quote from: Jinxy on November 17, 2008, 11:23:01 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I simply do not get why some people think so highly of Benny Coulter. Is it because of what he's done or what you feel he is capable of doing?

he would need to get out of mckeever's pocket right enough.
clarke had a great year, and as far as i can remember, every year he has been fit he has been great.

IMO though the best player around at the minute is the gooch

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2008, 05:32:40 PM
he will be a huge loss to the game of Gaelic football and Kerry,
but in spite of only playing senior football for one year, I thought Tommy walsh was the outstanding player in the country.
Unmarkable at times and when he wasnt doing that much, it was down to poor posession/passing from the Kerry outfielders into him.

Got taken off in the AIF when imo he was clearly the better option and most likely to do damage to tyrone - so I was delighted to see him being substituted , and mentioned to my colleague that I thought Pat O'Shea had made a huge mistake thankfully.
He was looking more lively than the over rated donaghy, and this year outshone his higher profile colleagues Donaghy and Cooper in the Kerry full forward line.

People prob wont think of Walsh as Gaelic footballs best player and there have been some great names mentioned here- Canty, cavanagh, O'se etc... but I dont think Tommy is a one season wonder, he will be Kerrys main man at midfield or in attack for many a year to come- if he doesnt get snapped up by the aussies.
Sure he powered his club side to a closer game v club supremos Nemo than the scoreline suggested.
If he goes to oz, we will miss out on the best of what could be the new improved version of tohill/o'se

for a 20 year old in his firs season, he was frighteningly good, no actually the word I would use is magnificent.

all imo of course

Lb how the blazes do you make that out. This is a player who was unable to finish the 1/4, semi and final of the All Ireland. Sunstituted in the 3 biggest games of the year, and all in the closing out stages of the game, when it really counted. :o :o :o

Also...and this is a bold speak, he will cut it at midfield, because he tired very noticably in every game and it was nothing to do with fitness, he is very muscle bound and it will only get worst the older he gets. covering the ground will not be his game.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 17, 2008, 02:17:48 PM
Lb how the blazes do you make that out. This is a player who was unable to finish the 1/4, semi and final of the All Ireland. Sunstituted in the 3 biggest games of the year, and all in the closing out stages of the game, when it really counted. :o :o :o

Also...and this is a bold speak, he will cut it at midfield, because he tired very noticably in every game and it was nothing to do with fitness, he is very muscle bound and it will only get worst the older he gets. covering the ground will not be his game.
Incorrectly taken off in all games. Its the age old problem, a team are losing it around the middle  - so they take off one of the corner forwards.
OK you have two all stars (neither of which are at the races that particular season but are big names) and a young first year rookie. Who do you take off.
Pat OS bottled it. IMO Walsh was looking the most potentially dangerous among the three. Tyrone did what we all said they had to do , keep kerry from getting the ball in.
OShea made calls that didnt cost him (luckily) against galway and cork, but did when they were up against a side that had the measure of them.
Lets face it, cork and galways were never going to beat kerry , it was kerry almost throwing it away more than anything else.
As for Walsh being muscle bound, he looks that way due to his big frame, but if you look more closely, hes actually not filled out that much and wouldnt be any swartzeneger - certainly not as muscular as his father - yet anyhow.

How can a corner forward get 'noticeably' tired in each game .I think you are talking via yer posterior.
you'd better not apply for the bellaghy job as that team no longer wins games themselves and youd need to know what yer at.

As for those who reckon that talking of walsh in this way is 'listening to hype' I'd say guess again - unless the aussies are also suckers for such hype ..... ::)
I hope he stays at home and shows that he is the next big thing in football, as lets face it cavanagh is good , but he's no anthony tohill or paddy bradley  ;)
:)

Ball Hopper

Lynchboy doing fine until the second half of the last sentence.

The easiest way to put this question...you are picking teams just like in the schoolyard years ago...you have first pick. 

Who do you pick?

S Cav is my pick.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 17, 2008, 04:47:14 PM
Lynchboy doing fine until the second half of the last sentence.

The easiest way to put this question...you are picking teams just like in the schoolyard years ago...you have first pick. 

Who do you pick?

S Cav is my pick.
ah it was just to get the tyronies going
still its half in jest, a few slaps always put cavanagh off, while I'd say young walsh has yet to show any fear...
;)

anyhow if walsh stays, I'd expect a lot of peoples picks will go from cavanagh to Walsh given the proof of another good season under his belt !
He's 'lucky' hes from kerry and gets a chance to shine and learn at the same time. If he was in the same shoes as eg niall sheridan of Longford, he could end up like him !
;)

Ball Hopper

He's 'lucky' hes from kerry

[/quote]

Everyone from Kerry considers themselves lucky...

thehulk!!

keith higgins from mayo, best corner back id say nearly ever, easily the fastest man in the gaa

Uladh

carribbear

Canty. While I appreciate the forwards you have to admire what this guy does...

SidelineKick

Fergal Doherty.  Any of the games he missed last year, Derry lost.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.