Attention BBC & UTV soccer thugs at it again

Started by billy the kid, November 05, 2008, 12:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy the kid

Just wondering like many of you why the incident at the SETANTA cup final where a Glentoran fan thug threw a bootle and hit a Cork player in the face wasnt even mentioned or shown on BBC or UTV, the Cliftonville fan thug hitting a Linfield player with a firework was briefly mentioned and shown on BBC but I havent seen it on UTV yet.

However when there is trouble at a GAA match we can expect to see it on every single news report for days and it is the only time the GAA is the leading story on the sports section of either channel even though it has a larger membership than rugby soccer and hockey combined and its games are easily attended by more people than all these 3 combined within N. Ireland on any given weekend.

If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

lfdown2

while i agree with you, the reason that this arguement falls and why it will be torn to shreds by owc is the lack of facts!

ziggysego

Can't wait to hear Watson tonight talk about yet more violence in local soccer and the look of glee and excitement as he reports it. I'm taking bets, how many times will the BBC repeat the incident. I'm guessing so many times, that they won't have enough time to discuss the game. Or is that just wishful thinking....
Testing Accessibility

billy the kid

Check out the attendances listed here.

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?s=e77fcd1b14bb753bd02133c8d2725fe6&t=104320

The each County final in the GAA always attracts at least 5000 and many attract over 7000 and if its a big derby or a first time finalist the figure can be even higher still. And thats for each final.  Ulster club games also attract similar crowds.

National league games attract bigger crowds again and in many cases over 10000.

What do the BBC and UTV show of these games?

If anything its usually a mention, maybe a score and only if there is a row will it be given more than 5 seconds of air time.

Last weekends 3 ulster club games would have had 16000 - 20000 at them combined received 1 mention on BBC and about 10 seconds of airtime Never seen anything on UTV apart from quick mention of results but no scores at end of sport.

The Irish league soccer attendances would have struggled to top 6000 from 6 games but still there was a half hour about it on saturday showing all the goals with interviews with managers and players. Every single news programme on BBC and UTV for the next 3 days mentioned the scores results and many showed league tables and clips of the goals some even showed additional footage and re-ran the interviews.

If it moves hit it

corn02

It was main headline on news last night and top story on bbcni? Where is the problem?

el_cuervo_fc

billy the kid

Just seen it again myself so have to admit the Cliftonville fan is being rightly shown in the bad light he deserves.

However did any of yous see or hear it even mentioned at any time on UTV or BBC that the Glentoran fan hit the cork player in the face with a bottle during the Setanta cup final?

I only knew about it because I happened to buy a southern newspaper the day after.
If it moves hit it