Author Topic: Paddy Jackson apology  (Read 43280 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Paddy Jackson apology
« Reply #690 on: June 14, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
So to ask the question again, will Diageo return their sponsorship deal should London Irish dump Paddy?, as according to them and their core values (nearly choked when i read that part) was the reason they have distanced themselves and removed sponsorship.
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

rosnarun

• Maigheo Abú
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 14, 2019, 12:56:03 PM »
They cynic would see this as opportunist by Diageo. There has been a push back in the UK and indeed Europe over alcohol sponsorship in sport, club rugby is near the bottom when it comes to sport sponsorship anyway. What Diageo would pay to be official beer of London Irish would be peanuts in relative sporting partnership terms. They refused to even meet London Irish, so to me opportunistic and having seen the cause of alcohol addiction within my own extended family Diageo have no moral high ground. Diageo are simply exploiting a rape case for their own benefit.
That's a dubious statement which calls into question the perceptiveness of the cynic which swallows anything London Irish pour out.
Diageo state clearly that they had met with LI before making their announcement and another meeting is arranged.

I'd opine that all betting and drink sponsorship be banned from sport.

definitely but id go further esp about betting I ban all adverting .
is there one really positive aspect from Gambling to suggest Society would be better off with it than with out it ?

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 14, 2019, 01:03:30 PM »
They cynic would see this as opportunist by Diageo. There has been a push back in the UK and indeed Europe over alcohol sponsorship in sport, club rugby is near the bottom when it comes to sport sponsorship anyway. What Diageo would pay to be official beer of London Irish would be peanuts in relative sporting partnership terms. They refused to even meet London Irish, so to me opportunistic and having seen the cause of alcohol addiction within my own extended family Diageo have no moral high ground. Diageo are simply exploiting a rape case for their own benefit.
That's a dubious statement which calls into question the perceptiveness of the cynic which swallows anything London Irish pour out.
Diageo state clearly that they had met with LI before making their announcement and another meeting is arranged.

definitely but id go further esp about betting I ban all adverting .
is there one really positive aspect from Gambling to suggest Society would be better off with it than with out it ?

Ban it - a life ruiner for so many people

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 14, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »

Now now Dinny, don't be bringing all that logic into this...

I'm not sure what non logical conversation there has been here about this current situation. I've no doubt this is opportunism by Diageo, especially in the light of their victim blaming "drink responsibly" ad a few years ago. Thing is though, London Irish gave them the opportunity and should have known better.

Agree on a total ban on gambling sponsorship. Not as convinced on alcohol sponsorship. I personally think alcohol sponsorship might impact the brand you choose, not so much how often or how much you drink. Gambling ads the way they are now I'd say is definitely leading to increased betting activity. That said I'd not wory overly if alcohol sponsorsihp was totally banned.

Dinny Breen

• I will repair to the Curragh of Kildare
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 14, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »

Ok, so Diageo said they met, that must be true so. Do you know the context of the meeting? Are you privy to the agenda and the minutes?

On Thursday, a London Irish spokesman said the club’s management was “understandably disappointed” by Diageo’s decision – “particularly the manner in which the company has chosen” not to renew its sponsorship deal.

“The club has always respected the right for everyone to have an opinion, and their right to express that opinion. London Irish has been open and honest with all of its sponsors, including offering to meet Diageo’s senior management in Dublin in May, 2019. This offer was not taken up.

Sounds really dubious  ::)

Having spent most of my working life working for corporations I still can't believe people swallow corporate BS. Maybe confirmation bias has a role.

And absolutely all drink and in particularly betting sponsorship should be banned.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 15, 2019, 06:35:37 AM »

Ok, so Diageo said they met, that must be true so. Do you know the context of the meeting? Are you privy to the agenda and the minutes?

On Thursday, a London Irish spokesman said the club’s management was “understandably disappointed” by Diageo’s decision – “particularly the manner in which the company has chosen” not to renew its sponsorship deal.

“The club has always respected the right for everyone to have an opinion, and their right to express that opinion. London Irish has been open and honest with all of its sponsors, including offering to meet Diageo’s senior management in Dublin in May, 2019. This offer was not taken up.

Sounds really dubious  ::)

Having spent most of my working life working for corporations I still can't believe people swallow corporate BS. Maybe confirmation bias has a role.

And absolutely all drink and in particularly betting sponsorship should be banned.

Global sales of alcohol fell by 1.6% last year. Diageo have enough shit to deal with without
adding Paddy Jackson as a chaser

Plus

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/paddy-whiskey-reviewing-its-partnership-with-london-irish-amid-paddy-jackson-deal-1.3926265
Lookit

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 15, 2019, 10:13:47 PM »
If Diageo actually had a moral concern, we’d have heard nothing about it at all. Months later, some eagle eyed person might have noticed they disappeared from the London Irish website and matches.

Instead, they issue a statement saying they are considering their position = plenty of publicity

Then, without meeting LI again, they issue a statement saying they’ve ended their sponsorship

Loads of free publicity and they actually save money. Marketing coup!

Over the Bar

• '03 + '05 = '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 16, 2019, 02:27:04 AM »
*SHAGGERS*

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 16, 2019, 04:50:48 PM »
What about the chap who goes around pissing on people in bars?

fearsiuil

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 16, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
What about the chap who goes around pissing on people in bars?

Jelly fish sting.