Author Topic: American Sports Thread  (Read 635248 times)

thejuice

• View Profile
Re: American Sports Thread
« Reply #1050 on: August 21, 2008, 05:55:09 PM »
Gene Upshaw passes away at 63

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=5BA93C606BE5F5D6673326BFECEF2EDB?id=09000d5d80a28802&template=with-video&confirm=true

Gene Upshaw, the Hall of Fame guard who during a quarter century as union head helped get NFL players free agency and the riches that came with it, has died. He was 63.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

hitzelsperger

• send 'er long
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 21, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »
Looks like Chad is taking to the pool..

http://football.about.com/b/2008/08/15/chad-johnson-could-out-swim-michael-phelps.htm

Next he'll be claiming he can beat Usain Bolt over 100m.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:45:46 PM by hitzelsperger »

lfdown2

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 21, 2008, 09:30:04 PM »
Lads, who is going to the American Football in Wembley? Will we meet up for a jar?

I'll probably be around the environment of the Porterhouse in Covent Garden on the Saturday night, and will head out early to the Green Man on Sunday.

I know it's early for this, but a plan is a plan :D

wouldnt mind meeting for a pint at some stage though it is slightly early and id need to see what the story is!!cant wait for it, 2nd nfl game last one was chargers browns which chargers won handy i see this being a tighter game!!

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 22, 2008, 09:17:28 PM »
jets giants preseason tomorrow giants side 50yd line row 16 with parking pass

thats what i'm talkin about baby!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Carmen Stateside

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 22, 2008, 10:08:47 PM »
Heading out to it myself. Looking forward to it :)
Would be hoping that both teams will be at full strength for the first half anyway, although both teams may have a few injuries at the wide receiver position.

mc_grens

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 24, 2008, 09:45:35 AM »
SAN DIEGO -- Chargers Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman said Saturday he has two torn ligaments in his left knee and has been told by doctors that he could suffer a possible career-ending injury if he attempts to play without having surgery.

Merriman said he has tears in both the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments. He said doctors agree that he needs surgery to repair the damage.

"It could be career-threatening if I did [play]," Merriman said. "It's a possibility. That possibility is still open."

A course of action has not been decided. Merriman, who will consult with a doctor in Miami early next week before making a decision, has been told reconstructive surgery would keep him out for the 2008 season. Another option is a less-invasive surgery that would allow him to play at some point in the season.

"They've all said the same things about the injury," Merriman said. "[They're] kind of surprised that I've been playing with it up to this point."

The Chargers open the regular season Sept. 7 against the Carolina Panthers. Merriman wants to play this season.

Shawne Merriman has two torn ligaments in his left knee.
"That's first and foremost," Merriman said. "That's what I want to do. That's why this decision is even out there still and not already made, because I want to play, period. The question is what should I do? How long should I play with it?

"It's a thousand different options at this point and I'm just trying to make the best one."

Merriman left the team Tuesday to seek opinions from other doctors, a trek that included a visit with renowned surgeon James Andrews on Wednesday in Birmingham, Ala. He said he is seeking as many opinions as he can for a reason.

"I'm just trying to make the best decision possible for the team and for my career," Merriman said.

Coach Norv Turner has remained optimistic all week that Merriman will be able to play this season. He again expressed that hope Saturday.

"Right now, in talking to him, his mind-set is he's doing everything he can to get ready for Carolina, our opener," Turner said. "He just wants to get a little bit more information on his knee."

Merriman has made the Pro Bowl in each of his three NFL seasons. He has 39 sacks in that span, more than any other NFL player.

Massive blow for the bolts. And for me! I have him in the Montana conerence. I was afraid of this, dropped my back up DB to pick up Justin Tuck from Free Agency. Might put the skids under San Diego's Super Bowl push.

Puckoon

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 25, 2008, 02:38:42 AM »
Can my luck get any worse?

thejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 25, 2008, 10:52:30 AM »
Osi Umenyiora OUT FOR SEASON

balls, i'll have to trade him ASAP
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 25, 2008, 11:03:09 AM »
Big blow for the New York Football Giants. Some lads are picking them to finish 4th in the NFC East this year! That would be some kick in the nuts. Losing Strahan and Omenyiora is a big blow to their D-Line though. I wonder will Strahan be asked to come out of retirement? :D

thejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 25, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
thats the rumour on NFL.com, but i dont think its likely

Puckoon

• View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 25, 2008, 02:41:35 PM »
Osi Umenyiora OUT FOR SEASON

balls, i'll have to trade him ASAP

Juice - you simply have to drop him, like I had to. Who will trade you for a player out for the season.
I also have the NYG defence, although Ive got detroit in reserve.

magickingdom

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 28, 2008, 10:09:29 PM »
i see from george kimballs irish times column today that the last yankees/red sox games in yankee stadium start tonight. wrecking ball due up shortly!

i mentioned this on the book thread but will throw it in here too. a great read is the above george kimballs 'america at large' a decade of his irish times columns. got it a few weeks ago and theres some great tales in it. all proceeds go to temple st childerns hospital

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:58 PM »
Can my luck get any worse?

Merriman is playing this year, how effective he will be is another matter with a gammy knee.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heganboy

• well hello there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 28, 2008, 10:11:37 PM »
a lot of chat about a strahan return
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 28, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »
a lot of chat about a strahan return

I read that they rang him in Greece, where he is on holiday, and he isnt interested. They have plenty of depth on the Defensive line.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"