Author Topic: Cookstown Incident  (Read 22632 times)

Armagh18

• View Profile
Re: Cookstown Incident
« Reply #270 on: March 21, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »
Underage drinking has precisely nothing to do with what happened at the Greenvale Hotel.

It wouldn't have mattered whether the crowd had all been intoxicated Rangers hooligans over for a friendly match against an ex-LVF XI.

The same duty of care to put proper safety measures in place for whoever turns up at the door would apply.

Ach away of that.

Of course it had an effect.

Doesn't absolve the venue from their duty of care - but there is an extremely strong likelihood that if everyone in the queue were sober then the crush doesn't happen.

Evidence?
Common sense?

Square Ball

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 21, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »
Holy fcuk lads,  would some of you wise to fcuk up...there are 3 dead darlings barely cold and you're having debates about blame and the like?  Honestly take a huge look at yourselves.  There is a pretty widespread Tyrone membership on here.  I am sure there are connections to people involved.  Temper things and let the dust settle.  There are no answers to this at this stage and some of you should get the fcuk off your high horses and have respect

+1

Well said BCB1

agree 100%.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 21, 2019, 01:41:28 PM »
Holy fcuk lads,  would some of you wise to fcuk up...there are 3 dead darlings barely cold and you're having debates about blame and the like?  Honestly take a huge look at yourselves.  There is a pretty widespread Tyrone membership on here.  I am sure there are connections to people involved.  Temper things and let the dust settle.  There are no answers to this at this stage and some of you should get the fcuk off your high horses and have respect

+1

Well said BCB1

agree 100%.
Giving this a +1. If a lot of this dung keeps up the OP would be as well to lock the thread.

Gold

• talk is cheap but it takes money to buy hot dogs..
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »

+1

Well said BCB1

agree 100%.

True.

Horrific. Honestly believe the police didn't need to Go looking to blame someone prior to the funerals.

It's Not like a case where a robber might discard his ill gotten gains if not arrested immediately

It's made this tragedy into a pantomime
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

give her dixie

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 21, 2019, 11:31:40 PM »
I have just read this thread from start to finish and can't believe what some of you have been posting and discussing.
3 young people have lost their lives in tragic circumstances and it's pathetic to read what some of you have been saying.
As pointed out previously there are a lot of Tyrone posters on here and we all have connections in one way or another
to those there, and to those who died.

Anyhow, what happened on Sunday night was a tragedy and a very dark day that has affected so many people, and
especially the 3 families who will have to bury their children tomorrow. Hundreds of teeneagers went out for a night
and they got caught up in a tragedy that will leave a deep scar for life.

I had 2 nephews who were there and thankfully they got out safely. Sadly one nephew was a good friend of one of those who died. They had been classmates from 4 years old, and played together over the years on under age teams. He is broken hearted. At one stage he had been talking to him in the crowd, and the next he saw him receiving CPR. Last night and tonight he was at his wake, and tomorrow he will be at his funeral.  What a brutal experience to go through, and he's not on his own.

There are a lot of questions to be asked, and hopefully, through time they will be answered, but for now, we are a community in mourning and we have 3 funerals tomorrow.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 21, 2019, 11:36:16 PM »
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought this thread had become very distasteful.
Careful now

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2019, 06:32:02 AM »
It's a discussion board lads. Discussion and debate is literally the entire point of things. Nobody is speaking ill of the dead, nobody is belittling the tragedy, nobody is trying to make light of anyone's suffering.

If this had happened in London, Berlin, Hong Kong, Sydney, New York etc nobody would be up in arms about anyone having such debate. The fact that it's so raw and close to home means we should be prepared to confront things even more, not less.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 22, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
It's a discussion board lads. Discussion and debate is literally the entire point of things. Nobody is speaking ill of the dead, nobody is belittling the tragedy, nobody is trying to make light of anyone's suffering.

If this had happened in London, Berlin, Hong Kong, Sydney, New York etc nobody would be up in arms about anyone having such debate. The fact that it's so raw and close to home means we should be prepared to confront things even more, not less.

I accept what you are saying is true. For me personally, what I find distasteful is the caustic nature of some of the debate here. You've mentioned tragedy, which is exactly what it is. The personal nature of some of the exchanges suggest to me that the tragic circumstances are not foremost in the minds of those debating.

As stated, a personal opinion only. 

Orior

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 22, 2019, 08:41:18 AM »
 Should we talk about what happened so as to avoid it reoccurring? Or should that be left to the police? The Hillsborough thread did not end well for some posters
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 22, 2019, 08:51:58 AM »
Should we talk about what happened so as to avoid it reoccurring? Or should that be left to the police? The Hillsborough thread did not end well for some posters

Of course we should talk about it. I'd hope that anyone who has any privileged information that could prejudice any official investigation would have the wit to keep it to themselves.

The only thing connecting this incident to Hillsborough is the fact that people died in a crush. Other than that, the two incidents are not remotely alike and drawing parallels between them is ill-advised at best.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/vivacious-charismatic-and-energetic-teens-remembered-at-tyrone-funerals-1.3835063

Awful sad.

Reminds me of the Crossmaglen film. Oisin McConville's oldest brother died as a teenager. Things are never the same 
Lookit

Baile Brigín 2

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2019, 02:04:20 PM »

Of course we should talk about it. I'd hope that anyone who has any privileged information that could prejudice any official investigation would have the wit to keep it to themselves.

The only thing connecting this incident to Hillsborough is the fact that people died in a crush. Other than that, the two incidents are not remotely alike and drawing parallels between them is ill-advised at best.

I think on the face of it the two tragedies are very similar.

Individuals who probably shouldnt have been where they are caused a crush.

Venue and staff may not have been following procedures to ensure the above didnt happen.

Innocent people die.

Cops fock it up.

GJL

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2019, 07:52:53 PM »
Watched the coverage of the funerals on the news. Desperately sad for all involved. Will be very hard for the families to accept this has happened.

give her dixie

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2019, 08:36:14 PM »
Connor Curries teammates huddle around his coffin today in Edendork.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

BennyHarp

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 22, 2019, 09:28:27 PM »
Connor Curries teammates huddle around his coffin today in Edendork.

That’s heart breaking!
That was never a square ball!!