Author Topic: Row in Mayo LGFA  (Read 33652 times)

Minder

• View Profile
Re: Row in Mayo LGFA
« Reply #585 on: October 16, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
Has the mysogny card been played yet ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 16, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »
Has the mysogny card been played yet ?

Christ. There’s been plenty of borderline sexist posts but in general somehow most have resisted that urge. Grind your axes somewhere else.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 18, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
Just when you thought Carnacon could move on from Mayo LGFA County Board.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/carnacon-wait-on-mayo-lgfa-response-before-deciding-on-appeal-876259.html

Carnacon wait on Mayo LGFA response before deciding on appeal

By Ger Flanagan

All-Ireland ladies champions Carnacon are waiting on official contact from Mayo LGFA officials before deciding whether or not to appeal the red cards shown to Fiona McHale and Doireann Hughes in Sunday’s SFC semi-final win over Moy Davitts.

The Mayo and Connacht champions are due to meet Knockmore in Sunday’s decider in Kilmeena at 2pm.Midfielders McHale and Hughes were given their marching orders in the second half of Carnacon’s 6-16 to 1-12 victory by referee Gerard Canny.

Former All-Star McHale was sent off in the second half for what the referee is believed to have signalled as a use of the elbow on Niamh Kelly.

Hughes was red-carded less than five minutes later for alleged verbal abuse which was brought to the attention of the referee by the linesman.

Moy Davitts’ forward Fiona Doherty also received a straight red card in additional-time for an altercation with Cora Staunton.

Both Carnacon players’ offences are punishable with a straight red card and according to Rule 268, the player(s) is handed an automatic suspension of ‘a minimum of four weeks’. Such a ban would mean McHale and Hughes would miss a potential Connacht final which is fixed for Sunday, November 4.

However, the Irish Examiner understands that Carnacon must now wait for official communication from the Mayo LGFA secretary Kevin McDonnell, based on the referee’s report. This will set out the rule/rules broken and the automatic suspension as per the LGFA Official Guide.

Under those same rules Carnacon can then seek a hearing in front of a disciplinary committee in relation to the offences. A subsequent county board meeting must then be called to ratify the suspension, at which stage Carnacon can decide whether or not they want to pursue an appeal.

Meanwhile, in the other semi-final, Knockmore beat Burrishoole on a scoreline of 4-14 to 1-2 to set up a repeat of last year’s county final.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 04:05:50 PM by From the Bunker »

GalwayBayBoy

• No show like a Joe show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 18, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »
Completely delusional stuff from Staunton, the degree of narcissism and self absorption is total.

It is clear there is no substance whatsoever to the previous allusions about an unsafe environment, the only unsafe thing here is anyone getting in the way of Cora's ego by the looks of things.
Serious danger of Criticism of Cora getting out of hand . she has been the mainstay and at time Carried mayo for  nearly 20 years so im sure she does feel a bit of ownership of the team and is quiet entitled to defend her free taking . its not as though mayo had a natural outstanding replacement for her . the frees were spread amongst several players. the whole thing reminds me of Ciran McDonald  and John omahoney mark2
Maybe the natural progression now is to retire and take the team on herself if she hasn't pissed too many people off .
if Roy keane can work for the FAI anything can happen

You see here in lies the myth. It's been a long time since Cora has been really influential for Mayo. Her greadiness has got her loads of scores for Mayo, but it has also cost us a lot of potential scores from other really talented forwards. Forward players around her have been losing confidence for years. There is no plan B with Cora. She gets the ball and it's a score, or a miss, or a free. It's hardly ever a pass or an assist.

As for the Ciaran McDonald example. Ciaran never walked out on a Mayo team a couple of days before a championship match.

Also how do you know that Grace Kelly and Sarah Rowe are presently not better free takers than Cora?

I don't really follow the ladies football but on the odd occasion I've seen Cora play in recent years I'm always amazed how much she completely hogs the ball. Often double or triple marked she still rarely passes but prefers to shoot low percentage shots with a couple of girls hanging out of her. Mad stuff really. How she gets away with it I don't know. Obviously an all time great but an all time great male player wouldn't get away with that carry on.

Lar Naparka

• I just know this is gonna be our year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 18, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »
Can't help thinking that the publication of Cora's book was delayed at the last minute. Just a suspicion- nothing more. Seemsikelt that it may have been scheduled for late July- a week maybe after the walkout.
This happens a lot and an author has feck all say in the matter. Given that the allegations qwere unfounded after the investigation, I can't help feeling that Cora was just drumming up publicity. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 18, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
I doubt Cora brought all this on herself and her club just to sell a Book.

blast05

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 18, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »
3-17 from play.
That's what the Mayo ladies full forward line scored in a must-win game v Cavan the week after the walkout.
I think that was the achievement of the summer.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 18, 2018, 09:51:18 PM »
3-17 from play.
That's what the Mayo ladies full forward line scored in a must-win game v Cavan the week after the walkout.
I think that was the achievement of the summer.

F Doherty (0-3),  N Kelly (0-5), S Rowe(1-7), G Kelly (2-6, 1 f) - You can see what the freedom to play meant to these players!

pbat

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 18, 2018, 09:52:01 PM »
I see she is on the late late tomorrow night, cant see Tubridy giving her much of a grilling.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 18, 2018, 09:57:43 PM »
I see she is on the late late tomorrow night, cant see Tubridy giving her much of a grilling.

He won't. No media person takes on Cora.

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 18, 2018, 10:01:35 PM »
Tubridy couldn't grill a burger on a barbecue. He knows nothing about sport either so don't expect anything even remotely uncomfortable for Cora

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 18, 2018, 10:13:13 PM »
Tubridy couldn't grill a burger on a barbecue. He knows nothing about sport either so don't expect anything even remotely uncomfortable for Cora

True, he will Plámás her. After all she is his guest and they are becoming harder to get by RTE. Especially different new guests. So he won't want to frighten potential future guests.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #597 on: October 18, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
She’s also the best there has been in LGF and has done a million times more good for the game than bad. But sure, forget that if it suits you.
Begrudgery still at the heart of this.

stephenite

• Ballina Stephenites
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 18, 2018, 10:39:10 PM »
She’s also the best there has been in LGF and has done a million times more good for the game than bad. But sure, forget that if it suits you.

You literally have no local knowledge of the situation, do you?

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #599 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:05 PM »

You literally have no local knowledge of the situation, do you?
Do you?