Author Topic: Antrim, the way forward  (Read 79036 times)

bannside

• View Profile
Re: Antrim, the way forward
« Reply #525 on: August 22, 2018, 06:00:54 PM »
I really wasn't sure The Mac whether your post about bringing Casement back to life was a wind up or for real. It seems that you think this can be done, and the example of a previous attempt does give your proposal a bit of credibility, albeit not much.

Do the maths.

It took 17 weeks of 11000 man hours (per week) to complete the transformation. That's 187,000 man hours.

So let's assume (A) that you could muster 50 similar thinking South Antrim gaels to join you....far from a given....and (B) that you could get them all to offer 10 hours a week each to the project.

On that basis it would take 374 weeks....or seven years to complete. That's a long time to wait!

Just saying!

themac_23

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 22, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
I really wasn't sure The Mac whether your post about bringing Casement back to life was a wind up or for real. It seems that you think this can be done, and the example of a previous attempt does give your proposal a bit of credibility, albeit not much.

Do the maths.

It took 17 weeks of 11000 man hours (per week) to complete the transformation. That's 187,000 man hours.

So let's assume (A) that you could muster 50 similar thinking South Antrim gaels to join you....far from a given....and (B) that you could get them all to offer 10 hours a week each to the project.

On that basis it would take 374 weeks....or seven years to complete. That's a long time to wait!

Just saying!

In fairness it was just a throw away comment in the first instance, but I remember reading that article a good while ago and thought it was great. I wasnít comparing the fact it was fans done it and saying our Gaelís should do it, just an example that it can be done.

My point being, we currently have a project which is years away from being a reality, on the current site we have a decaying stadium that most would agree was fit for purpose before its doors were closed. We also have no home, if we get a decent championship draw we have nowhere to hold it. We as a county need a home, casement is our home and I believe it should be where antrim play their home games. The sad thing is we are no closer to getting casement built than we were the days we closed the gates

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 22, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »
Too true but in fairness no one could really have predicted the reasons for the delay. So the only option now is to wait and hope that the remaining hurdles can be cleared, politically and with regard to red tape.

Accepting that best case scenario we are still 4 or 5 years from completion, I don't see any problem taking the county games around the county. One thing for sure there's not too many attending our county footballers at Corrigan, so under our unusual circumstances I don't think the fixtures crowd would object too heavily if we shared the games around a bit.

There's not too many games that Antrim hurlers or footballers play that would cause that much traffic congestion from my experience at any one of a dozen club grounds I could think of.

In the meantime anyone suggesting that the lack of a regular venue is the reason we arnt winning games...well personally that's a feeble excuse in my book. If we arnt good enough to beat a team at Corrigan, Ballycastle or anywhere in between I wouldn't be sure we would beat them anywhere.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 22, 2018, 09:05:51 PM »
The simple thing that should have been done was to close Casement, once it was agreed on all counts and the deal and money spent signed up. Casement should have been open till the day the demolition men arrived.
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 22, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »
The simple thing that should have been done was to close Casement, once it was agreed on all counts and the deal and money spent signed up. Casement should have been open till the day the demolition men arrived.
Yep. Last match on a Sunday, diggers on a Monday. It's absolute madness they way this has been handled.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 22, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »
Was it not basically deemed not fit for purpose with health and safety stuff though so that wasn't feasible?

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #531 on: August 22, 2018, 09:49:25 PM »
Was it not basically deemed not fit for purpose with health and safety stuff though so that wasn't feasible?
No.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 22, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
Oh right. I thought there were big concerns about the stand.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 22, 2018, 09:55:46 PM »

If there was a problem with the stand then there was plenty seating that was safe
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #534 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:21 PM »
There werenít big concerns. The issue was with the number of exits in the stand v the number of seats. The stand was passed as structurally secure by a structural engineer shortly after Casement was closed.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 22, 2018, 10:13:56 PM »
Ah. Cheers for detail - didn't realise all of that.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 22, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Yep. Last match on a Sunday, diggers on a Monday. It's absolute madness they way this has been handled.

Is there a half-intelligible account as to why this is not the case? Even if certain parts of the spectator accommodation was closed  before that date.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gold

• talk is cheap but it takes money to buy hot dogs..
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 23, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeUCwq2mDFw 

A hard and depressing watch and listen

Casement's and Antrim/Belfast's demise played out on National Airwaves
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 23, 2018, 09:33:58 AM »

Is there a half-intelligible account as to why this is not the case? Even if certain parts of the spectator accommodation was closed  before that date.

It came down to money pure and simple.
The insurance (tens of thousands) on the ground was not paid, as the thought at the time was the process would start the day after the last match or close enough, so continuing to pay the insurance was a waste of money.

When the process dragged further out and all the recriminations started, it was no longer feesible to reopen the ground.

It has been a disaster from day one, ill conceived and badly implemented on numerous levels.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 23, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeUCwq2mDFw 

A hard and depressing watch and listen

Casement's and Antrim/Belfast's demise played out on National Airwaves

Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!! embarrassing