Author Topic: Antrim, the way forward  (Read 80868 times)

MoChara

• View Profile
Re: Antrim, the way forward
« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2015, 09:51:20 AM »
This thread has gone very quiet??????????????

I think in typical Antrim spirit everyones acting like grown ups and are in total agreement and there's nothing left to debate, its the only reason I can see why its went quiet  lol

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2015, 02:26:49 PM »
Excellent CV in from Aghagallon for Cultural Officer, I suppose you'd call her an Independent Candidate - not Antrim Vision and no connection to the outgoing Board.

A Chairde,

My name is Bronagh Lennon and I am one of the candidates running for Antrim GAA, Irish Language & Cultural Officer on 7th December.

I am asking for you to support me as I believe I can deliver for County Antrim and promote our Language and Culture in a unique and innovative way.

Teanga / Language
-I have a degree in Irish Language and a Diploma in Irish Medium Studies from St. Mary's University College, Belfast and can communicate effectively in both English and Irish. I feel this would be a major asset to any County Board.
- experienced in dealing with groups such as Gael Linn and Glór na nGael through working and teaching in my local branch of Conradh  na Gaeilge and was successful in obtaining numerous grants for my local branch of Conradh na Gaeilge.
- led training workshops for Co.Down Cultural Committee for singers of 'Amhrán na bhFiann' at county fixtures to ensure they were using the correct Irish pronunciation.
- taught in Loch an Iúir Gaeltacht for 8 years and assisted with Gaeltacht scholarship schemes.

Scór
Scór is a key aspect of the cultural side of the GAA and is something for which I have a huge passion. 
- I have been a keen Scór competitor for 10 years for St Mary's Aghagallon.
- I have 4 County medals , 4 Ulster medals and this year won my first All Ireland GAA medal in the Ballad Group section of Scór Sinsir. This was a huge honour for St. Mary’s and for County Antrim.
- I have mentored groups for Scór na nÓg and have assisted in the organisation of a club Scór na nÓg final in Aghagallon. 

Scór Forum, Croke Park
In the Summer of 2015, I was invited to be the Antrim representative at the first ever Scór Forum in Croke Park. Aogán Ó Feargháil , GAA President, and members of the National Scór Committee outlined their vision for Scór in 2016 which included increasing participation in clubs and counties throughout Ireland.

This year, I have been involved in doing exactly that in my own club.  I, with other members of the Scór committee in Aghagallon, was one of the driving forces behind Scór workshops for young people in the community. These were a great success and we fostered a love of Irish culture among the young people. We had 88 competitors in our club Scór na nÓg final which was absolutely amazing.

If I were to be elected as Cultural Officer in Antrim, I would aim to
- build on the good work that has been done already by volunteers throughout the county.
- promote the Irish language and revitalise Scór throughout the county. As a teacher, I have the organisational skills that are needed to be a successful Cultural Officer.
- form an experienced Cultural Committee that would help promote the language and cultural aspects of the GAA in Co. Antrim, Ulster and throughout Ireland.

If you want a Cultural Officer that will unlock the massive talent which exists within the County, the Glens, the City, and the country clubs in music, singing, dancing, performing, and the language, then please give me your vote!

Buíochas ó chroí,
Brónagh Lennon

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
Great CV for the job and based on this information going into the public domain, (rightly so) Bronagh has a great chance. Great to see new and fresh faces emerge for the challenge ahead.

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 17, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »
An Armagh woman too! Good candidate for the job!

bogieman

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »
Well done and good luck to Bronagh

It is great to see their credentials, inspires confidence on the way forward, is it a requirement for all nominees to have CV ?

Ps. Half Armagh...  8)
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »
Not a requirement Bogieman. In fact it's something completely new. 
As long as the info is accurate then a bit of general information about some of the people hoping to step up and lead our county can only be a good thing.

As long as something on the CV points to the officials capacity to do the job well then this is a welcome development. Of course expect it to be completely shunned and denounced by the ultra conservative GAA who are happy enough to place a lot of round pegs in square holes, often with little ability to actually do the job properly.

culchie11

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »
Not a requirement Bogieman. In fact it's something completely new. 
As long as the info is accurate then a bit of general information about some of the people hoping to step up and lead our county can only be a good thing.

As long as something on the CV points to the officials capacity to do the job well then this is a welcome development. Of course expect it to be completely shunned and denounced by the ultra conservative GAA who are happy enough to place a lot of round pegs in square holes, often with little ability to actually do the job properly.

sure u could proof read it first bannside & let them know if it is acceptable to urself lol if u r looking for round pegs in square holes look no further than the vision! is tony/dick for slipping away into the background once the deal has been done?!

u also forgot to say they have to be a professional in that field, ur slipping up a bit recently!!
sure u cant hold a position until u have went to uni, got a degree and work to/for/with someone involved in saffron vision lol

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2015, 04:14:20 PM »
You're coming across all anti SV Culchie. I'm not their spokesman but feel energised by the fact that for once there is genuine interest in these positions,  and that, as is evidenced by this thread and others, that people do actually care for a change.

Surely the old saying keep doing the same and you will get the same results has particular relevance in this case. Time for fresh faces and new vision, new leadership and new energy.

That way we just might get a bit of respect at provincial and national level where we have zero credibility at the minute. That's where we must take the fight.

culchie11

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2015, 04:39:32 PM »
so u think a chairman who has to look to either side of him to provide answers to questions is the way forward?!
what happens when pinky & the brain are no longer there to hold hands & the vision has to see for themselves!!
doesnt give me hope!

u talked about correct info being circulated to clubs, well the sv candidate for cultural officer should take a wee look at his!

im sure there will be more pr for sv before the big day, as long as they let the right ppl face it up!
i know v little of the chairman elect & would honestly like to hear what he has to say, not his buddies, about our county!

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2015, 06:01:05 PM »
Give me a chairman all day long who, if not sure will have the confidence in himself to check left and right before trying to look like a smart arsed know all. Especially that is, if there is a good calibre team sitting at the top table. As I said before, we need a chairman who knows both how to lead and when to delegate. But mist of all earn a new respect level for Antrim and further afield ehich is sadly missing at present. Plus be able to entice a couple of dozen good people to come forward and work at county level - where most wouldn't be seen dead in recent years. That's what I see as the three priorities for a new chairman, not necessarily having every answer to every problem at his fingertips, trying to look clever!

And why try to diminish the great work of Tony and Dick (and a few others) who are totally passionate about trying to get a bit more professionalism working at board level. As businessmen they clearly see that what has gone before has failed us miserably.

Colin Donnelly will have plenty to say I'm sure when this is all over!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:15:45 PM by bannside »

culchie11

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2015, 11:02:49 PM »
The thing is the two u named won't be at the top table!
U r a good spin doctor I will give u that Bannside.
U always try to make even the biggest weakness a positive.

How have u never managed our county team as u must do a great interview!
Do u need to be a business man to do that job also lol

Is it true that if the main position is not filled by sv then the whole delegation will withdraw their names from process?!

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2015, 11:37:12 PM »
Lads look closely at your club, who within your club pulls the strings and makes things happen?? Is it the Sec, chairman or treasure?? Ultimately they have to have a good working relationship but generally (this is just from my own experience) there is one guy who pulls the strings, command's respect and gets things done... Good luck to all
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

podge

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2015, 07:31:35 AM »
The idea of a number of people getting together and running for elections with a shared vision is one I would subscribe to, particularly when you look at the failings of the current set up.  I do however get the distinct impression that the SV guys have been thrown together at the last minute.  I am not sure a lot of them even knew each other prior to a few weeks ago and I am unconvinced that they really have a well debated and advanced vision at all.  It smacks a bit of opportunism on the part of some of them and a bit of change for change sake.

Having said that, given where we are,  I would support change and would be willing to give some of them a shout at it. But I don't think its a case of one in all in- I would look at the merits of each candidate for each position and would not blindly back SV.

And my main bug bear, if the recent outburst by TR in the voicemail is an example of how he wants to conduct himself or Antrim affairs in general, I would have him nowhere near the place.  If I was one of those on the SV ticket I would have asked him to remove himself from the nominations.  I am not even sure I have seen any sort of apology but I could be wrong.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2015, 08:47:34 AM »
There are lots of very good and capable administrators working at club level. Just look at the large capital projects and ground developments up and down the county. I sit on our club committee and marvel at the work being done by a group of club men who come from a range of professional backgrounds. As a result I am confident we will end up with one of the best set ups in the county in the next few years.

But the point is its being handled by people who know what they are doing. Surveyors, builders, people who understand the tendering process etc. Then we set up a fundraising committee and  with excellent leadership by a couple of accountants, we have well over £100k raised in a matter of weeks. That's one small club and there are many other who have done the exact same thing.

St Brigids had 1400 people at the Whitla Hall last Saturday night for a club event and raised nearly that amount too. Again it was a very thorough professional set up from start to finish.

Big question is....Why are these great gaels club men and administrators not stepping up to the plate at county level?

Answer.....Because they feel that there is nowhere near enough professionalism there. It is seen (rightly or wrongly) as a collection of individuals who are there by default, but who wouldn't be let near some of the big jobs in their own clubs.

Perception or fact, I'll let you be the judge of that.

That's the basis of Saffron Vision. It's an attempt to entice a few new faces, some but not all professionals and proven businessmen to go together to try to improve Antrim.

Is that really so bad?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:03:56 AM by bannside »

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2015, 08:57:34 AM »
Culchie I wouldn't like to try to guess at what those two men have contributed financially to the GAA, both at club and county level, either personally, or by their business sponsorship. I wish this county had many more like them.

If SV initiative fails, or at the very least a few of the main positions are not filled by them, then I really do worry that this could be their last stand.