Author Topic: The future of laois hurling  (Read 120237 times)

Giovanni

• View Profile
Re: The future of laois hurling
« Reply #975 on: April 07, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »
Mossy you might be interested to know that New York won the football version of the competition a couple of years ago. You can see here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/trip-of-a-lifetime-ends-in-glory-for-phenomenal-new-york-bunch-453863.html

burdizzo

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 07, 2019, 10:20:10 PM »
I'd say it was a lack of interest, rather than an 'inability'. They've also dropped down to the 'B' at u13 level, along with Ballacolla and Camross. Makes you wonder. I believe Castletown wanted to drop back, too, but weren't allowed - despite the split w/ Slieve Bloom. So, that leaves only a 5 teams in the 'A' at u13, and 11 in the 'B'.

U13 B Hurling result from this past week

Portarlington 4-10 Portloaise 1-01

Portlaoise minors are also propping up the Minor B league after losing to Ratheniska by 13 points and Mountrath by 9

No one is deriving any pleasure from this,Laois hurling needs a vibrant Portlaoise

Yes, you're absolutely right - Laois hurling does need a strong Portlaoise. However, I would be flabbergasted if the above result wasn't Portlaoise 4-10 to Portarlington 1-1, and that is was entered on the website the wrong way 'round by mistake. Portarlington and St. Paul's combined had a strong team last year at u13 (won the 'B' championship, in fact), but St. Paul's split away this year at u13, and Port. barely have enough for a team. They are working very hard over there to keep it going, but still, I think a result like that is a bit beyond them. Could be wrong, BUT... I doubt it.

Even if that was the case and Iíve spoken to a guy who said that was the scoreline

It doesnít excuse their non participation in the Feile and their performances in the minor B league

Was he at the match, or did he just get it off the website?
But, yes, there's no way they should be in the 'B' - at any grade.

Mossy Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 07, 2019, 10:41:09 PM »
Mossy you might be interested to know that New York won the football version of the competition a couple of years ago. You can see here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/trip-of-a-lifetime-ends-in-glory-for-phenomenal-new-york-bunch-453863.html
What an amazing story! (I'm sorry to hear they had to go back there and beat a Laois club, though.)
Thanks for this story, Giovanni.

Don Draper

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 08, 2019, 10:19:36 AM »
Two sides with big catchment areas there.