Author Topic: The ulster rugby trial  (Read 42003 times)

Syferus

• View Profile
Re: The ulster rugby trial
« Reply #1200 on: Today at 04:11:03 PM »
Syferus will of course issue a full unconditional apology if they are found not guilty.

If these lads arenít convicted it will not be from lack of evidence that they did something horrible.

if it was consensual is no big dael

Exactly. If they're not convicted it will.be because it was consensual.  A threesome mightnt be to your tastes but it's certainly not horrible on their behalves.

A jury not convicting them doesnít mean it wasnít rape. If the woman didnít consent, it was rape. Itís very hard to my mind to get around the fact the victim says she did not give her consent, she is the star witness in all this, itís her own wishes that make it rape or not and she very consistently has said it was rape. Itís far more implausible that she is lying and let this go to a massive public spectacle of a court case than it is that, at best, two jocks were off their tits on drink and didnít give any respect to or thought the womanís wishes.

If you donít know Ďladsí like Jackson and Odling in your own life maybe you donít get how much of their behaviour rings true and is anything but shocking or unbelievable. But I do and I can see how this type of rape could very easily happen up and down the country, and most likely does given how much of an epidmedic rape is - RAINNís statistics show 1 in 6 US women have been the victims of rape or attempted rape in their lives. And, by the way, itís a about a 6:1 ratio between completed and attempted rapes so that number isnít being bolstered by a lot of lucky escapes. This is a huge problem too many are willing to push under the rug.

Especially in rape cases (notoriously hard to get to trial and hard to try, partly due to sexist attitudes that infect both male and female jurors) the idea that non-conviction is equal to simple innocence is a troubling viewpoint too many here seem to share.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:35:29 PM by Syferus »

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: Today at 04:24:41 PM »
Well that god there is s judicial system and not Syferus system!

Itís very simple, if the jury believe they are guilty in the evidence presented then guilty it is, there wonít be one person complaining about it either, and everyone hopes the book is thrown at them..

But in the same token if they are not guilty then thatís that, impossible for those lads to get their lives back on track, but they will at least be free..

The IP, well sheís had a torrid time, not just whatever happened on the night but whatís sheís put herself through and family plus living with the consequences after this trial regardless of the result..

Hopefully the plus side of this will be the awareness that young ones hopefully take from this!
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: Today at 04:56:08 PM »
Syferus will of course issue a full unconditional apology if they are found not guilty.

If these lads arenít convicted it will not be from lack of evidence that they did something horrible.

Exactly. If they're not convicted it will.be because it was consensual.  A threesome mightnt be to your tastes but it's certainly not horrible on their behalves.

A jury not convicting them doesnít mean it wasnít rape. If the woman didnít consent, it was rape. Itís very hard to my mind to get around the fact the victim says she did not give her consent, she is the star witness in all this, itís her own wishes that make it rape or not and she very consistently has said it was rape. Itís far more implausible that she is lying and let this go to a massive public spectacle of a court case than it is that, at best, two jocks were off their tits on drink and didnít give any respect to or thought the womanís wishes.

If you donít know Ďladsí like Jackson and Odling in your own life maybe you donít get how much of their behaviour rings true and is anything but shocking or unbelievable. But I do and I can see how this type of rape could very easily happen up and down the country, and most likely does given how much of an epidmedic rape is - RAINNís statistics show 1 in 6 US women have been the victims of rape or attempted rape in their lives. And, by the way, itís a about a 6:1 ratio between completed and attempted rapes so that number isnít being bolstered by a lot of lucky escapes. This is a huge problem too many are willing to push under the rug.

Especially in rape cases (notoriously hard to get to trial and hard to try, partly due to sexist attitudes that infect both male and female jurors) the idea that non-conviction is equal to simple innocence is a troubling viewpoint too many here seem to share.

Using your logic of making assumptions, what would you assume was her reason for going to the lads house on her own at that time of morning?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: Today at 04:57:27 PM »

Using your logic of making assumptions, what would you assume was her reason for going to the lads house on her own at that time of morning?

She was interested in Jackson. She just decided not to have sex with him. You seem to think that her interest in him means heís absolved for not respecting her wishes. He isnít.

Tubberman

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: Today at 05:05:51 PM »

I've seen very little evidence that she didn't consent. Regret after the fact doesn't make it rape, and is extremely damaging to the accused and to rape victims
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: Today at 05:12:51 PM »

I've seen very little evidence that she didn't consent. Regret after the fact doesn't make it rape, and is extremely damaging to the accused and to rape victims

Surely non-conviction should equate innocence though, given you are innocent until proven guilty.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: Today at 05:15:28 PM »

Itís much more damaging to rape victims that someone would choose to believe they are lying about consent and let charges and a court case be filed. Most rape victims donít even report it to the police Tubber, and the ones that reach trial are a rare breed in and of themselves. Your lack of empathy for the victim while your fountain of reasons why the accused were justified is a concern to say the least.

Tubberman

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: Today at 05:32:59 PM »

Itís much more damaging to rape victims that someone would choose to believe they are lying about consent and let charges and a court case be filed. Most rape victims donít even report it to the police Tubber, and the ones that reach trial are a rare breed in and of themselves. Your lack of empathy for the victim while your fountain of reasons why the accused were justified is a concern to say the least.

"Fountain of reasons "  - what are you raving about!?
I said I've seen very little evidence that she didn't consent. I made no comment on the defendants.  I'm taking it on the reports of the testimonies provided.  You seem to believe that the defendants are guilty on the basis that it's difficult for a girl to take a case like this (whixh it undoubtedly is), but that in itself is not proof Syf.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Asal Mor

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: Today at 05:37:51 PM »
Well put Tubber.