Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2474336 times)

farset

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #17415 on: December 17, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
Before the creation of St Brigid's what clubs would the players from their catchment area have went to?

Oxford and Cambridge boat clubs.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #17416 on: December 17, 2018, 11:14:02 AM »
must say on another note i was disappoint in the Brigids line and management constantly calling for a black card in the second half to get a player out of the game.

they were pissed at the ref black carding two of their players in the first half so felt the need to constantly harass the ref to try and get him to get our players out of the game. at the end up the black card and red card we did get were totally deserved at the end of the game and down to frustration.

it was very poor imo.
hurl like f**k boi!

outinfront

• An Bhréadach Abú
    • View Profile
« Reply #17417 on: December 17, 2018, 02:03:50 PM »
Commiserations to Dunloy who lost nothing in defeat and will be back competing for this title again next year. But sincere congrats to St Brigids who posted a flag in the ground for the City, first one of the year, and a big statement of intent for their future.

Antrim needs a strong base in the city and St Brigids have now scored their biggest ever success. Well done, enjoy and go build on that. Greg Finnegan has seen a fair bit in his football career, but today could be the highlight, and to do it with his son Patrick leading from front must be particularly satisfying. On today's display Antrim football is not in bad shape. Hopefully St Brigids will go on to hold their own in the Creggan tournament.

I thought there was no Creggan tournament this year?
EDIT: I now see that there is.  Was there an issue about u20/u21 teams?
I would say Carryduff will be hard to beat.

When Does this tournament start? / When is the draw made?

Launch is Dec 27th, no idea about when it starts.

farset

• View Profile
« Reply #17418 on: December 17, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »
must say on another note i was disappoint in the Brigids line and management constantly calling for a black card in the second half to get a player out of the game.

they were pissed at the ref black carding two of their players in the first half so felt the need to constantly harass the ref to try and get him to get our players out of the game. at the end up the black card and red card we did get were totally deserved at the end of the game and down to frustration.

it was very poor imo.

It's frustrating and the ugly part of our games.  While you mightn't like it, there will have been loads of supporters and people on the Dunloy line in the past calling out refereeing decisions including black cards.  One of those things that you have to just take on the chin and know that you are better than that.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #17419 on: December 17, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »

it was very poor imo.

It's frustrating and the ugly part of our games.  While you mightn't like it, there will have been loads of supporters and people on the Dunloy line in the past calling out refereeing decisions including black cards.  One of those things that you have to just take on the chin and know that you are better than that.

aw i dont have any problem with supporters doing it, you have no control over that aspect of a game. Or a line calling out for a foul, again thats no bother to me. its seeing managers and subs roaring out 'black card ref, black card' time and again to try and get a young fella put out of the game because they felt aggrieved at him giving them 2 in the first half.

its very very poor to see that going on.

But it makes no difference to the result now. St Brigid's were worthy winners this year, they will do well in Senior if they keep going the way they are.
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #17420 on: December 17, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »
Before the creation of St Brigid's what clubs would the players from their catchment area have went to?

Oxford and Cambridge boat clubs.
Think most of them went to Naomh Pol Naomh Gall

Pjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #17421 on: December 17, 2018, 09:39:31 PM »

it was very poor imo.

Thought the game was played in the right spirit for the vast majority of it.  There may have been calls from the St Brigids sideline for black cards - I couldn't hear if they did/did not as I was at the top of the stand and they were on the far side. However, I'll take DRs word for it. The reaction of some Dunloy players towards the end (DR puts it down to frustration) was also a little disappointing and not the best way to react in defeat. In fairness to the Dunloy line they prevented their players from escalating things on the final whistle.

Great game of football and end to end stuff with either side unlucky come out on the wrong side of the result at the end. St Brigids had that little bit more composure when it counted. One u21 win however does not make a senior club! Let's see if they can back it up in the years ahead.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #17422 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
it was a good game to be fair and its the way football should be played. Not defensive borefests but two teams who want to play fast attacking football.

its renewed my faith in the game again after watching some pure garbage this year.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

• View Profile
« Reply #17423 on: December 18, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »
Pjoe

'The reaction of some Dunloy players towards the end (DR puts it down to frustration) was also a little disappointing and not the best way to react in defeat. In fairness to the Dunloy line they prevented their players from escalating things on the final whistle'

The 1st slap threw at the end was from a St Brigids player. Dunloy players were restrained straight away as even in defeat we have a bit of class and not going to ruin a fantastic season for this group of players at the very end off it. The starting 15 we lose one next year so we will get another go at St Brigids all being well.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17424 on: December 18, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
it was a good game to be fair and its the way football should be played. Not defensive borefests but two teams who want to play fast attacking football.

its renewed my faith in the game again after watching some pure garbage this year.

Yes I noticed that all the games at Under 21 and Minor have been played the way it should (from a entertaining point of view). Obviously some managers would disagree and want a tight affair with plenty of possesion, but they have been sold on the idea of keep ball wins games...

Once these lads hit senior that will be knocked clean out of them unfortunately  >:(
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #17425 on: December 18, 2018, 03:45:48 PM »
we did come up against a few teams who wanted to defend all the game but when you have a team thats fit and full of running for an hour that sort of defensive boke wont work.

but then again you cant force a team to play a way. if they want to score 4 points in a game and go home happy thats up to them lol
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #17426 on: December 20, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »
I see Ahoghill had 2 players in the moneyglass u21 team that won last night so sanctions aren’t just a city way of strengthening your team as previous posters have suggested

country bumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #17427 on: December 20, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »
I see Ahoghill had 2 players in the moneyglass u21 team that won last night so sanctions aren’t just a city way of strengthening your team as previous posters have suggested

Only spotted one St Mary's man in the Mg team......

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17428 on: December 20, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »

Any Fermanagh men?

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #17429 on: December 20, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »
Ahoghill's twitter named 2 players - have they no underage teams at all now?