Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2509703 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #15930 on: May 01, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
And who on this board stepped up to take this job? You all must assume that there was a huge selection process with detailed interviews, power point presentations on how they were going to improve Antrim's footballing fortunes!! It's grand to have a plan, but someone needs to step up to the plate sometimes, instead of being a keyboard warrior

Get real. Antim can only work with who comes forward who has a interest in taking the job.. no one is lining up to take these jobs, never have and unfortuntely never will, unless there is a father son interest or the potential of a great set of players become available, after that they are gone, one maybe two seasons.

It's possible that this job needs a steady coach for 5 or 6 seasons, who works very closely with the underage development squads and develops great working relationships with the clubs and their underage mentors.. Minor is a strange age, for a lot of good underage players its very possible that you can lose them to other things, college (when they played at the old minor level)  in a different country, employment, girls! drink and even drugs or to another sport..

How many years did Mickey Harte take the underage teams in Tyrone? I know they were very successful but was it the commitment shown by the management/county or just a great bunch of lads that came through? There was no doubting their success but it had to start somewhere, there had to have been some coaching, training and skills picked up at their clubs and development squads..

Again the county needs to look for someone to come in and take it long term, regardless of the initial results look for small gains along the way until it bears fruit at the other end, senior level!
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

ArmaghPaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #15931 on: May 01, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »
BigBallWeeBall...you are misinformed re the amount of coaches and club reps at the meeting!!! How else are we meant to effectively communicate? Perhaps we should phone each person individually?!? The problem I had was that those who were there agreed with me, I assume, as they didnít once question or correct anything I said. We did speak to a few club coaches directly throughout our time and sometimes we agreed and sometimes we didnít! Thatís the nature of debate!!! At all times, however, I can honestly say that the best interest of each player was at the centre of our arguments! The county minor season is most of the way through at this stage and the club minor season is 2 games old. Which of the two had the more urgent need of training Players and sorting systems? Clubs preparing their teams for championship in February, which was the line that came back to us a number of times, is just laughable! Perhaps you disagree?!? I would love to hear your rationale for it though? Just to reiterate my point about us not wanting to overtrain players, no player involved with McRory/Hogan Cups trained with Antrim until they were out of that competition...they were at latter stages and therefore more urgent a requirementnship  than ours! All we asked was for similar favours! Would club coaches be happy if we called county training sessions in the 2/3 weeks leading up to the championship later in the year?!? I doubt it!!!

ArmaghPaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #15932 on: May 01, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »
Peileadoir...this isnít really an issue for social media as I believe there are issues there that I am not really privy to, however, suffice to say, the lad in question warranted his place within the team and has been a consistent performer throughout.

ArmaghPaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #15933 on: May 01, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »
Milltown Row...completely agree with you! The post was filled on 27/28th January, with no one beating the door down looking to give a hand. We have tried our best under the circumstances and those within and close to the Squad are fully aware of that and appreciate what we have tried to do. There are many little things that need addressed and a long term approach to the county minor team would, I agree, be an excellent first step!

DuffleKing

• View Profile
« Reply #15934 on: May 01, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
Never mind over trained, I have it on good authority that one of the starting full forward line on the team v Fermanagh has not played ANY football for his club in 18 months and only plays hurling. His club did not put his name forward for trials as he told them he was only playing hurling this year and yet somehow he was selected for the minor county team. The club did not even know he was on the panel until last week. Bizarre! Great communication from the management. Would a kid in Tyrone who doesnt play football for his club and who doesnt go to a school that plays football even be considered for county selection? Not a chance! Not a bit of wonder we only scored 8 points!

Actually these are the exact circumstances under which Peter Canavan played minor football for Tyrone. There was a dispute in the parish and for a number of years many players played only schools and county football while hurling for their club.

Sweeper 123

• View Profile
« Reply #15935 on: May 01, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »
what baffles me is how come none of the U16 winning team from the year before never made the squad - some fantastic players on that team and certainly deserving of a start.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #15936 on: May 01, 2018, 05:06:06 PM »
what baffles me is how come none of the U16 winning team from the year before never made the squad - some fantastic players on that team and certainly deserving of a start.
St. Brigidís?? Have you read the thread? They had 3 players on the panel. 2 got injured and the other left.
Thatís not baffling in the slightest.

Sweeper 123

• View Profile
« Reply #15937 on: May 01, 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
oops - that would explain it - no longer baffled

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #15938 on: May 01, 2018, 11:08:36 PM »
ArmaghPaddy fair play to you and the work you have put in.

Would you not have been better going to the county board with your plans and asking them to get agreement from the clubs? Perhaps getting the clubs to vote on a proposal as regards access to players? Going to individual coaches I think you were always going to mixed response with no agreement in place.... from previous posts it seems you may have only had less than half the clubs represented at your meeting

ArmaghPaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #15939 on: May 02, 2018, 12:45:30 PM »
100% Belfast GAA man...it was one of a number of things that I learned from this experience! It has been a massive learning curve for me and I will defo take that from the season.

old timers

• View Profile
« Reply #15940 on: May 02, 2018, 01:25:57 PM »
100% Belfast GAA man...it was one of a number of things that I learned from this experience! It has been a massive learning curve for me and I will defo take that from the season.

What I learned over the years is that you dont always get the "best" footballers/hurlers to even go to the trials or take part in any way. This has been said many times on this board.  Alot of young ones, especially at that age, have their own minds and views on what the County is or is not and find a reason not to go.  The kids that show up are the ones to focus on.  You will have learned many things taking a ANY team, club or county but if you have helped at least one or two, to better themselves as a player and more importantly as a "team player" then it is worth it. 

ArmaghPaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #15941 on: May 03, 2018, 09:57:44 AM »
Thanks Old Timers...hopefully I have 🤞. Youíre right about Players not attending or making themselves available. I believe the county needs to market themselves better and, perhaps, go above and beyond what other counties are doing in order to attract the top players. Itís an honour/privilege to play for Dubs/Tyrone/Kerry etc, but that isnít the case here yet, I believe. That being the case, we need to be more proactive in making it an attractive proposition...unfortunately, thatíll take money! 🙈

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15942 on: May 03, 2018, 10:27:14 AM »
Or if they fed them  ::)! Seems to be one reason why (well a couple posters here believe)
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Spike

• View Profile
« Reply #15943 on: May 03, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
Thanks Old Timers...hopefully I have 🤞. Youíre right about Players not attending or making themselves available. I believe the county needs to market themselves better and, perhaps, go above and beyond what other counties are doing in order to attract the top players. Itís an honour/privilege to play for Dubs/Tyrone/Kerry etc, but that isnít the case here yet, I believe. That being the case, we need to be more proactive in making it an attractive proposition...unfortunately, thatíll take money! 🙈

You're quite right, the county needs to go above and beyond with its marketing drive. The fact is it doesn't really feel like an honour to play for Antrim, and some clubs are very detached from the whole setup. Its nice to have experienced intercounty competition but its certainly not the be all and end all like it is in tyrone etc. 

darrenNGA

• View Profile
« Reply #15944 on: May 03, 2018, 12:24:33 PM »
St Endas in Division 1 and playing intermediate championship??