Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2472953 times)

paddyjohn

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #17730 on: March 09, 2019, 09:41:14 PM »
Yes PJ. Cookstown beat the Kerry champs in the final. John was 32 at the time. Still young enough to have a proper crack at Antrim in the near future. If you talk to the vast majority of the players in the two clubs he has taken since, Ballinderry Shamrocks and Na Fianna Coalisland, most of whom were present at his brothers wake, you will have no doubt of the esteem in which he is held. He certainly wasn't run out of Coalisland, things happen in management especially in a third year, and I know for a fact John and Conleith Gilligan were an exceptionally well considered management team.

Of course Kevin Madden has obvious credentials almost landing a treble last year with Creggan. Both know their way round a football team, I don't think anyone should dispute that, regardless of where they are from.

In any event Lenny has the job and hopefully he can put something memorable or competitive together in the next few months and he deserves our full support whilst he tries to turn things around. As I said before our performances were decent up until the Waterford game, and maybe he got a bit complacent when we came from behind to go five points up. It happens.

At the same time the league table doesn't lie and tbh it's very painful reading atm.

Yeah BS, spoke to a few of the players at Pauls wake, a surreal experience sharing a minibus with a few AI winners. John is held on high esteem and Iím not surprised. A man who carries himself with great dignity and class.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17731 on: March 09, 2019, 10:05:39 PM »
Yes PJ. Cookstown beat the Kerry champs in the final. John was 32 at the time. Still young enough to have a proper crack at Antrim in the near future. If you talk to the vast majority of the players in the two clubs he has taken since, Ballinderry Shamrocks and Na Fianna Coalisland, most of whom were present at his brothers wake, you will have no doubt of the esteem in which he is held. He certainly wasn't run out of Coalisland, things happen in management especially in a third year, and I know for a fact John and Conleith Gilligan were an exceptionally well considered management team.

Of course Kevin Madden has obvious credentials almost landing a treble last year with Creggan. Both know their way round a football team, I don't think anyone should dispute that, regardless of where they are from.

In any event Lenny has the job and hopefully he can put something memorable or competitive together in the next few months and he deserves our full support whilst he tries to turn things around. As I said before our performances were decent up until the Waterford game, and maybe he got a bit complacent when we came from behind to go five points up. It happens.

At the same time the league table doesn't lie and tbh it's very painful reading atm.

Yeah BS, spoke to a few of the players at Pauls wake, a surreal experience sharing a minibus with a few AI winners. John is held on high esteem and Iím not surprised. A man who carries himself with great dignity and class.

Are we talking about a senior team here?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Gold

• talk is cheap but it takes money to buy hot dogs..
    • View Profile
« Reply #17732 on: March 10, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »
Did McKeever win an AI IFC title with Fr Rocks?

Yes brilliant so should Seamus Shannon get the Antrim senior hurling job as  heís won intermediate hurling with Rossa and won Antrim championship as a player. More than McKeever

Why not?

Personally im in favour of a young coach. Id like to see John get a go

Those boys in their 30s are still unfortunatly our best players....still good enough to get us out of Div 4. Life gets in the way but would be nice to have at least a few of them to have assisted brjnging younger players on.

We lost 3 games by a point....if we had (to take 1 example) say Tomas McCann we may well have won all 3.

Would John McKeever have been more likely to cajole a Tomas out (or say he would be happy to work round his work and family schedule)....i dont know.

Are the current mgt team too rigid re attendance at everything......i dont know. 

Just disapointed as a fan that we went from a resurgence of sorts 10 yrs ago for a few years to the bottom. Those days in Clones, Tullamore and Newbridge were class....like we suddenly had a proper county team. Besting Meath in Div 2 at Casement.

Kerry football fans are notoriously demanding re their team.  Here we dont have radio shows discussing our team or holding the mgt to account...we have about 5 of us who care on Gaaboard discussing it
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:19:04 AM by Gold »
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17733 on: March 10, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »

Yes brilliant so should Seamus Shannon get the Antrim senior hurling job as  heís won intermediate hurling with Rossa and won Antrim championship as a player. More than McKeever

Youíre being a bit disrespectful there to Mr Shannon and also John McKeever. Any All Ireland is hard won as you know. Iím sure John could of tapped into the knowledge of Peter Canavan and also Mickey Harte if advice was needed. Youth is the way forward and a young coach sometimes deserves a chance.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17734 on: March 10, 2019, 02:13:07 PM »

Youíre being a bit disrespectful there to Mr Shannon and also John McKeever. Any All Ireland is hard won as you know. Iím sure John could of tapped into the knowledge of Peter Canavan and also Mickey Harte if advice was needed. Youth is the way forward and a young coach sometimes deserves a chance.

Jody Gormley? No disrespect at all, I ask the question should Shannon get the job (should he ask) because he won an Antrim senior title as a player and coached his club to intermediate glory at Croke?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17735 on: March 10, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »

Jody Gormley? No disrespect at all, I ask the question should Shannon get the job (should he ask) because he won an Antrim senior title as a player and coached his club to intermediate glory at Croke?

Why wouldnít he ask? If he had confidence in his own ability to manage the hurlers get his name in the hat surely.

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #17736 on: March 10, 2019, 05:31:00 PM »
Just disapointed as a fan that we went from a resurgence of sorts 10 yrs ago for a few years to the bottom. Those days in Clones, Tullamore and Newbridge were class....like we suddenly had a proper county team. Besting Meath in Div 2 at Casement.

Kerry football fans are notoriously demanding re their team.  Here we dont have radio shows discussing our team or holding the mgt to account...we have about 5 of us who care on Gaaboard discussing it

Very well said and this sums it up for me. Jeez, for a few years there I never missed a match. My kids, admittedly they are older now and more wordly wise, pestered me to go to every game, with no worries about distance. And we went - some brilliant days and nights  that I hoped were the start of something, rather than the effing highlight of a lifetime supporting the Saffrons. Now I can barley convince myself to go to Corrigan. On my own.

Pjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #17737 on: March 10, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »

Very well said and this sums it up for me. Jeez, for a few years there I never missed a match. My kids, admittedly they are older now and more wordly wise, pestered me to go to every game, with no worries about distance. And we went - some brilliant days and nights  that I hoped were the start of something, rather than the effing highlight of a lifetime supporting the Saffrons. Now I can barley convince myself to go to Corrigan. On my own.

Interesting point you raise Brendan & its a circular issue. On the one hand supporters demand and deserve a team winning and progressing up the divisions. On the other hand the players & management deserve to have supporters turn out to back them (regardless of results). Players feed off supporters and will raise their game.

However, when you have 86 (maybe 20 from Antrim) as a total crowd in Waterford you can kind of see why it was a flat performance. Not saying that excuses the flat and poor performance on and off the pitch. But I could also argue its less effort for the supporters to turn out for a game than it is for the players to commit to 3,4,5 sessions a week. So I think the apathy from lots of people within the county seeps through to the players. If "regular punters" within the county really wanted to effect a change in the fortunes of Antrim football then the easiest and most impactful thing they can do is attend the games. Don't underestimate the impact this would have on players & management and as a consequence their performances. Like I say its a circular issue and EVERYONE has their part to play (and not just on forums like this).

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #17738 on: March 10, 2019, 10:17:01 PM »
I hope the players arenít doing 5 sessions a week with the county. Iím no expert but that would surely be wildly excessive.

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #17739 on: March 11, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »
Thereís no doubt the players must find it hard to rise to the occasion when there basically is no occasion- playing in Div 4 in an empty ground on a wet and windy day.

At some stage in the future we must push the boat out and go for a really big name external manager to create a buzz which I have no doubt would get another 20% out of the players and lift us off the bottom.

Itís worked elsewhere: Paidi, Westmeath; Davy Fitz, Wexford; Anthony Daly, Dublin.  All those Counties and others went on an upward curve.

And thatís with all respect to Lenny and his team who have put their shoulder to the wheel, but itís a fairly impossible job for him and that wee bit of luck seems to be avoiding them.

belfastsaff

• View Profile
« Reply #17740 on: March 11, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
I'm lead to believe the county footballers do go 5 sessions a week -  no wonder the old hands wont commit to that

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17741 on: March 11, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »
I'm lead to believe the county footballers do go 5 sessions a week -  no wonder the old hands wont commit to that

Sure thats mental.

outinfront

• An Bhrťadach Abķ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17742 on: March 11, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »

What exactly does that mean?
2 Pitch sessions + a match (or 3rd pitch session)
+
2 Gym sessions

Be club players doing that.

Caesar

• View Profile
« Reply #17743 on: March 11, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »
PJoe hit the nail on the head. The sad reality is that there are whole generations of Antrim GAA supporters who have had very little to cheer about or get behind. It is not popular or appealing to be an Antrim supporter anymore and can you blame them? This is the biggest problem that needs addressed to put a bit of life back into the county, and it will benefit hugely on and off the pitch.

Imagine having a county team players were dying to play for, or that big sponsors were keen to be associated with.

belfastsaff

• View Profile
« Reply #17744 on: March 11, 2019, 10:26:45 AM »
yes and as a team which means travelling to a certain gym to do it together meaning being out of the house. We don't have the quality to get out of division 4 plain and simple and if some of the current starting 15 continue to play and start its going to be a long stay in division 4. Its totally embarrassing.