Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 8429416 times)

tbrick18

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #57450 on: May 28, 2017, 08:04:56 PM »
Depressing we have sunk so low.

I dont think we are any less fit or conditioned than Tyrone.
We dont have the best players in the county turning out.

Lets hypothetically say that all the players didn't try their hardest today or in the leadup to the game and that this is the reason we got the beating we did.
By that same rationale, if they all were fully committed to towing the line, putting in the effort in the gym and playing to the best of their ability then we would have won today. I don't think so. The quality of players currently on the panel is not as good as Tyrone.
In addition, the quality of management is not as good as that of Tyrone AND consequently, the quality of preparation is not as good. So we get beat by a better-prepared team with a higher caliber of player.

We cant do anything about the ability or quality of players currently available (I'd be sure they all go out to do their best), but we should be able to do something to encourage the best players in the county to be involved. County Board need to take responsibility for that.

As far as management go, we are tactically very poor. We had no plan to attack the Tyrone blanket...and that is managements fault. We push everyone up to the 45 then they all stand still, the ball is recycled to a player who is not moving time and again. Tyrone on the otherhand, have players running off the shoulder and take the ball at pace and so break the blanket easier.

Some positives, McKinless was very good in goals and his kickouts are top class.
I though McGuckin did well in Midfield, I think he was there to outmuscle Cavanagh and it worked as Cavanagh had very little influence on the game. I like McGuckin, always works hard IMO. However, it left us devoid of a target man up front. McGlauglin had a decent game.

Some negatives, our attacking play in general, Lynch is obviously not fit, defensively weak, no consistant free taker and I believe our management team are very poor. Not necessarily Barton, but I dont think his support team are up to the task.

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #57451 on: May 28, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
Just a brief comment on the Ref.
He is sh*te.

Donelly should have got the line, and we had to die for a free whereas the red-arses got them on a plate.
Then he comes smiling when players animate their frustration.
In a time of poor referee's, he's one of the worst.

For us to have any hope in a game like today, we need a balanced refereeing performance. Deegan never seems to give Derry a fair run IMO.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57452 on: May 28, 2017, 08:23:48 PM »

Lets hypothetically say that all the players didn't try their hardest today or in the leadup to the game and that this is the reason we got the beating we did.
By that same rationale, if they all were fully committed to towing the line, putting in the effort in the gym and playing to the best of their ability then we would have won today. I don't think so. The quality of players currently on the panel is not as good as Tyrone.
In addition, the quality of management is not as good as that of Tyrone AND consequently, the quality of preparation is not as good. So we get beat by a better-prepared team with a higher caliber of player.

We cant do anything about the ability or quality of players currently available (I'd be sure they all go out to do their best), but we should be able to do something to encourage the best players in the county to be involved. County Board need to take responsibility for that.

As far as management go, we are tactically very poor. We had no plan to attack the Tyrone blanket...and that is managements fault. We push everyone up to the 45 then they all stand still, the ball is recycled to a player who is not moving time and again. Tyrone on the otherhand, have players running off the shoulder and take the ball at pace and so break the blanket easier.

Some positives, McKinless was very good in goals and his kickouts are top class.
I though McGuckin did well in Midfield, I think he was there to outmuscle Cavanagh and it worked as Cavanagh had very little influence on the game. I like McGuckin, always works hard IMO. However, it left us devoid of a target man up front. McGlauglin had a decent game.

Some negatives, our attacking play in general, Lynch is obviously not fit, defensively weak, no consistant free taker and I believe our management team are very poor. Not necessarily Barton, but I dont think his support team are up to the task.

McGlaughlin?

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57453 on: May 28, 2017, 08:41:10 PM »
Are you by any chance talking about Niall Loughlin?

Glenman93

• View Profile
« Reply #57454 on: May 28, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »

I have to agree with most here but the bottom line is we just weren't good enough. And the blame does lie with most of the county.  On his backroom team. Who all would be on it?

P.s. 50/50 you are a tool

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #57455 on: May 28, 2017, 09:15:17 PM »
Are you by any chance talking about Niall Loughlin?

Yep..,.don't know where I got mglauglin from.  :-[

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #57456 on: May 28, 2017, 09:22:08 PM »

I have to agree with most here but the bottom line is we just weren't good enough. And the blame does lie with most of the county.  On his backroom team. Who all would be on it?

Backroom, Brian mcguckin, Tony Scullion (Scullion was there, not sure if he still is)

50/50 I'm a tool? So either I am a tool or I'm not a tool?
Ok then... I'll try....50/50 you are a lady boy from Bangkok. 😉

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #57457 on: May 28, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
doubt u been doing some runs to the bakery Brick lol

Glenman93

• View Profile
« Reply #57458 on: May 28, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »

Backroom, Brian mcguckin, Tony Scullion (Scullion was there, not sure if he still is)

Lol. I meant your man fiftyfiftyball is a tool

Josey Wales

• View Profile
« Reply #57459 on: May 28, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »
A city with a population of 107k and very few of them could be bothered to turn up. Id hazard a guess that 95% of them didn't even know it was on.

Its time to give this 27 year experiment up because that stadium is a big white elephant.  Put games on in Dungiven going forward.

The Clones 500

• View Profile
« Reply #57460 on: May 28, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »
Lambs to the slaughter but went the way as script. Disappointing but not unexpected, seriously we been shipping massive score all year and it has not been rectified. I cant understand playing blanket defense and give away 22 points, how that work? How many hard shoulders did you seen in that game, but plenty of poor tackling

Transition from defense to attack is shocking, way too slow, and the players were bunching on top of each other on the 45m line, Tyrone come out quick, we go to their 45m way to slow then lateral pass all day.

Lynn was decent, Keenan not bad, Donnelly and Harte held well and still well beat by a Tyrone team who played bad and will not beat Donegal, who we run close as little as 2 year ago.

Everybody can take some of the blame, supporters for not backing the team when even going poorly, sometimes the roar of support can lift a team.

Management, very poor on the field, modern tactics, and management player people skills. Badly found out i fear. Conditioning, some players are very fit, others are not, some players need active diet plans, some other need serious weight training, not keeping 2 recognized  left and right footed fee takers. (some of those efforts were poor to say the least)

Players more than 10-15 missing (starters / panel players) for various reasons, injury, non commitment, traveling. etc, we not a big enough county to lost this amount and if Derry were going well, they all be on aboard

Clubs - some clubs are actively telling players not to bother with Derry

County Board for not going out and actively trying to find the best candidate for the job, this let the clubs recommend a manager or advert one, no good. identify a man then go get him, and dont let cost put u off.

We dont address the above then we will actually decline further and 3 decent minor teams coming through will just be lost

On another note, how many giving out here actually went to the game, that support today was shocking

The best comment I've ever seen on this thread! No bullshit tells it straight totally agree with every point. I think this mess dates and goes all the way back to when our minors never won a single match for 4 years in row clearly paying for that now, thank god we have at least one man in Mackers who is taking County football seriously and making Derry a feared and competitive team. Hope to see major changes in Autumn pressure needs to be put on county board, was told today finances are that bad players had to pay for their own meal during away trip to Galway in the league what a mess.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:14:13 PM by The Clones 500 »
c'mon Derry ya boys ya!

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57461 on: May 28, 2017, 11:34:47 PM »
A city with a population of 107k and very few of them could be bothered to turn up. Id hazard a guess that 95% of them didn't even know it was on.

Its time to give this 27 year experiment up because that stadium is a big white elephant.  Put games on in Dungiven going forward.

And what is the capacity of "Dungiven", never mind Owenbeg?

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #57462 on: May 29, 2017, 09:14:50 AM »

Josey, go back to the Wild West, your talking balls
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:25:35 AM by theticklemister »

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #57463 on: May 29, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »

Lol. I meant your man fiftyfiftyball is a tool
;D ;D ;D
Yeah, I read that again. Yesterday was a long day.

The Clones 500

• View Profile
« Reply #57464 on: May 29, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/offtheball/damien-barton-on-derrys-begrudgers

Radio interview with Barton after the game yesterday for anyone thats interested.
c'mon Derry ya boys ya!