Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 7641845 times)

toby47

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #57450 on: May 22, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
Made 2 games yesterday. Ballinderry Vs Coleraine and Magherafelt Vs Glenullin.

Ballinderry very impressive and Coleraine very poor. Ballinderry missing a lot of the household names and still won at ease. Gareth McKinless, Deets and Muldoon the star men. Anyone saying last week that Muldoon is done obviously hasn't been to too much football this year.

Magherafelt Vs Glenullin - landed 10mins late due to the 1st game. it was 0-3 to 0-3 then Glenullin scored 2 goals to go 5 ahead at the break. Magherafelt brought it level midway through the 2nd half only for Glenullin to score another goal to seal the win. Neither team really impressive, sloppy game with lots of mistakes. Paddy Bradley wasn't on as Newbridge had a game at same time and Skinner came on in 2nd half. Magherafelt missing half a team also so it was no real indication of where either team stands however Glenullin will be delighted with the two points, can't see them in the relegation fight this year.

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57451 on: May 22, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »
Swatragh   1-10     2-19 Claudy      
Magherafelt 1-13   3-9   Glenullin
Greenlough 0-17   1-14   Ballinascreen
Banagher   2-12  2-18 Slaughtneil   
Ballinderry 4-12 2-8   Coleraine   
Glen   0-15     1-14 Dungiven

P   W   L   D   For   Ag   Diff   Pts
1   Magherafelt   7   6   1   0   125   96   29   12
2   Ballinderry   7   5   2   0   114   92   22   10
3   Coleraine           7   5   2   0   100   94   6   10
4   Slaughtneil   7   4   2   1   125   94   31   9
5   Ballinascreen   7   4   2   1   108   98   10   9
6   Glen                   7   4   3   0   128   120   8   8
7   Lavey           7   3   3   1   101   89   12   7
8      Claudy           7   3   3   1   117   115   2   7
9     Greenlough         7   3   3   1   96   119   -23   7
10   The Loup           6   2   2   2   70   68   2   6
11   Glenullin           7   3   4   0   89   90   -1   6
12   Bellaghy           7   2   4   1   84   105   -21   5
13   Dungiven           7   2   4   1   92   119   -27   5
14   Kilrea           7   1   4   2   111   120   -9   4
15   Swatragh           6   1   4   1   82   106   -24   3
16   Banagher           7   1   6   0   106   123   -17   2

Good results for Dungiven and Glenullin, probably weren't expecting to get any points from those games.
Swatragh and Banagher in big trouble at this stage.
Ulster League Champions 2009

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #57452 on: May 22, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »
Another player left the panel. That's two in a week before the biggest game of the year.

Sunday coming could be the worst of the many defeats to Tyrone in the past 18months

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #57453 on: May 22, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
Whos the other; big Cassidy was the first one; no idea what the derry team  will be this week but between injuries and players leaving or chosing early on not to play we be short an entire team from a panel selection! I go to the game but fearing the worst to be honest and thats saying sthing after last year!!

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57454 on: May 22, 2017, 11:07:35 PM »
Another player left the panel. That's two in a week before the biggest game of the year.

Sunday coming could be the worst of the many defeats to Tyrone in the past 18months

Brilliant.. another guessing game
It would be easier if you just give the name of the player.

Ulster League Champions 2009

The Clones 500

• View Profile
« Reply #57455 on: May 23, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »

Irish News say Postie has left the panel after being dropped as Big Ben is our new no.1. This is increasing looking like every inch of a 15 point hammering. In fact what score would it take for Barton to walk away after the match? Been told senior players are only playing for county pride Barton lost the dressing room along time ago. Barton & his no.2 McGuckin & Scullion constantly contradict each other the two fellas maybe gentlemen and top players in there Day but are seriously not good enough for county management and so maybe will it take another humbling from our rivals for the county board to do the right thing and actually taking the appointing a new manager seriously
c'mon Derry ya boys ya!

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #57456 on: May 23, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »

Irish News say Postie has left the panel after being dropped as Big Ben is our new no.1. This is increasing looking like every inch of a 15 point hammering. In fact what score would it take for Barton to walk away after the match? Been told senior players are only playing for county pride Barton lost the dressing room along time ago. Barton & his no.2 McGuckin & Scullion constantly contradict each other the two fellas maybe gentlemen and top players in there Day but are seriously not good enough for county management and so maybe will it take another humbling from our rivals for the county board to do the right thing and actually taking the appointing a new manager seriously

Pathetic attitude from mallon. No massive loss as he's really just an average enough keeper and was lucky to be part of a county panel for so long. I'm not surprised to hear that about things inside the camp. We'll be lucky to keep this as close as last year. Not sounding good.

DERRYSFINEST

• View Profile
« Reply #57457 on: May 23, 2017, 09:17:20 AM »
If you have a problem, thrash it out with the manager face to face.

Manager is taking a lot of stick, however i think he is working with a bunch of spoilt, childish men, with massive ego's.  imagine being dropped for a game and then sending a text to the manager saying you are leaving the panel.  ::)  grow a set FFS

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #57458 on: May 23, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »
Have to agree with the couple of comments above.

Mallon should count his lucky stars he's got the chance to play inter-county football as he is nothing better than an average keeper. Bad form to be walking away the week of a championship match Vs Tyrone because you have been named on the bench.

McKinless has impressed me for Derry minors and u21's (not his greatest game Vs Donegal this year) and is definitely the future. Who does that leave as back up keeper, fella from Magherafelt?

Rawhide

• View Profile
« Reply #57459 on: May 23, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »
As I said a while back, we are living through a period where the honour and commitment required to seeing a thing through, is paper thin in Derry. football ability is one thing, but character is another. Its been a while since we had a that from a group of players in Derry. There a few of course, but not enough. All the while the clubs will tell them they did the right thing instead of calling it as it is.

On the minor front, we have another serious group of players. Was at the league final and thought our line made a complete balls of the team in the second half. Sunday is the acid test.
cccc is a true supporter lol

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #57460 on: May 23, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »
As I said a while back, we are living through a period where the honour and commitment required to seeing a thing through, is paper thin in Derry. football ability is one thing, but character is another. Its been a while since we had a that from a group of players in Derry. There a few of course, but not enough. All the while the clubs will tell them they did the right thing instead of calling it as it is.

On the minor front, we have another serious group of players. Was at the league final and thought our line made a complete balls of the team in the second half. Sunday is the acid test.

Was also at the league final in Glen and was talking to someone involved in the minor set up the next day and they told me Derry held back both in team selection and on tactics as they were targeting the Championship game and not willing to give much away in a league game. Sunday will tell us weather this is the case or not.

Looking forward to the minor game and I hate to say it but i'm resigned to the fact i'm basically going to Celtic Park on Sunday for the minor match and not the senior game. I'll be giving my full support as per, however I have very little confidence in a Senior win.

tothetop03

• View Profile
« Reply #57461 on: May 23, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »
Barton and McGuckin take a fair bit of stick on here.....seriously who would yez like to see Managing Derry is there better inside the county that would take the job??

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #57462 on: May 23, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
Barton and McGuckin take a fair bit of stick on here.....seriously who would yez like to see Managing Derry is there better inside the county that would take the job??

I have said before, I like Barton as a man and he is a Derry diehard but I don't think he's good enough to manage the county side.

As for your question, personally I don't think there's a club manager in Derry atm capable of taking the county job. And I'm also not sure how appealing it would be for an outsider. Cases like Cassidy?Mallon leaving the panel a week before an Ulster Quarter Final won help this.

Realistically, Barton will be gone in a few weeks/Months. Does anyone have any realistic ideas for who could take the job and try turn things around a bit?

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57463 on: May 23, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »

13/1 on Paddy Power knock yourself out lad!

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #57464 on: May 23, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »
If you have a problem, thrash it out with the manager face to face.

Manager is taking a lot of stick, however i think he is working with a bunch of spoilt, childish men, with massive ego's.  imagine being dropped for a game and then sending a text to the manager saying you are leaving the panel.  ::)  grow a set FFS

I'd agree. Run on  Postie, Cassidy or whoever else doesn't want to put the shoulder to the wheel for the jersey. You answer the county call and accept, then man up and see out the campaign. Throwing the toys out of the pram a matter of days before hosting Tyrone in the Ulster Championship.. Staggering behaviour

In times of adversity... Derry by 2