Author Topic: The Many Faces of US Politics...  (Read 1008382 times)

Puckoon

• View Profile
Re: The Many Faces of US Politics...
« Reply #14955 on: April 18, 2019, 04:44:50 AM »
Pretty much the opposite of my experience.  Taxes way up for me.

Me too.

My personal tax refund went up about 25%, and I probably average an extra $150 a month net pay.

I am sure it is at some cost to the collective somewhere - but I have to admit that from a purely selfish back pocket perspective the last tax reform put more money in my household.

I got a really bad hammering this year. Most folks here are in the same boat but its not surprising given the way the changes are set up to hit people in cities around CA.

Yes, we are lucky living in Nevada with our lack of state (and many other) taxes.

They do tax the shit out of our weed though.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14956 on: April 18, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »
"While the investigation highlighted numerous links between individuals with ties to the Russian Government and individuals associated with the Trump campaign... the evidence was not sufficient to warrant criminal charges."

It's a good job nobody can agree on a definition of 'collusion' because the above statement sounds pretty close!!!

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14957 on: April 18, 2019, 05:39:40 PM »
"In May 2017, then Attorney General Jeff Sessions told Trump that Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein had just appointed Mueller as special counsel. Trump slumped back in his chair, according to notes from Jody Hunt, Sessions’s chief of staff. “Oh my God, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m fucked,” Trump said. Trump further laid into Sessions for his recusal, saying Sessions had let him down.

“Everyone tells me if you get one of these independent counsels it ruins your presidency,” Trump said, according to Hunt’s notes. “It takes years and years and I won’t be able to do anything. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me.”

The next morning, Trump tweeted, “This is the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history!”

Gmac

• View Profile
« Reply #14958 on: April 18, 2019, 11:52:40 PM »
"While the investigation highlighted numerous links between individuals with ties to the Russian Government and individuals associated with the Trump campaign... the evidence was not sufficient to warrant criminal charges."

It's a good job nobody can agree on a definition of 'collusion' because the above statement sounds pretty close!!!
yourself and Eamonn keep grasping watching too much Rachel Maddow lads

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #14959 on: April 19, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »
“How could you let this happen, Jeff.”

Replaces

“Unbelievable,Jeff”
Lookit

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
« Reply #14960 on: April 19, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »
The Democrats should play the ball rather than the man.   They don't have enough experience .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #14961 on: April 19, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »
The Democrats should play the ball rather than the man.   They don't have enough experience .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

You may be right. The expedient approach would be to move on, if only because so many people so focused on defensive voting that they'll accept their own guy/gal over the perceived apocalyptic possibilities of the other side no matter how dirty their own side appears to be.

You do have to wonder though what would be happening if the roles were reversed. What if Trump was a Democrat? (I'm talking purely about his personal corruption, lack of morality and utter contemptibility as a human being. His repugnant, callous, ignorant policies are a separate issue).

Eamonnca1

• View Profile
« Reply #14962 on: April 19, 2019, 03:19:51 PM »
If Trump were a Democrat he’d have gotten nowhere near the presidency because Dem voters would have laughed him out of the early caucuses. Only in the hateful GOP could such a clown have got the nomination.

fearbrags

• View Profile
« Reply #14963 on: April 20, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »
Trump wouldn't have won the presidency  If the the Clintons hadn't hijacked The Democratic Party  ""Between the super delegates and getting the questions before the debates"" This  just meant a lot of Sanders supporters stayed at home ;)

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #14964 on: June 06, 2019, 09:53:21 AM »
I hadn't come across this before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxxQOGGl2Jc
 - from two years ago, an eloquent condemnation of Trumpism and an excoriation  of the collaboration of Irish Americans with the far right excesses of the Trump regime by Aodhán O'Riordan. I didn't know he had it in him. It deserves a wider audience, particularly to contrast with the paddywhackery in Clare last night when locals behaved like peasants who will dance for beer.

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #14965 on: June 06, 2019, 11:19:39 AM »
Trump wouldn't have won the presidency  If the the Clintons hadn't hijacked The Democratic Party  ""Between the super delegates and getting the questions before the debates"" This  just meant a lot of Sanders supporters stayed at home ;)

Bernie supporters stayed home because Clinton was told beforehand that the literal raging topic of that very week in Flint (location of  the debate) and a major national news story (i.e. the scandal about the elevated lead in Flint's water supply caused by local and state politicians) might come up in the debate?

(On a similar level of underhanded cheating, I believe someone let it slip to Declan Bonner that he might be asked about Mickey Harte and Tyrone when he talks to the press this week.)

And of course they ignore the fact that the right wing machine had not even begun its assault on the Bernie the "communist".

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #14966 on: June 06, 2019, 12:28:21 PM »
It looks like Trump has dementia.
Presidential historian Jon Meacham said the president’s tweets had become impossible to ignore, and his apparently declining mental health "posed a real danger to the nation.”

His interview with Piers Morgan showed that his brain can't construct an argument

https://mobile.twitter.com/DMR09/status/1136379716708028416
https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/05/ireland-visit-donald-trump-arrives-leo-varadkar-discussions

Sean cox's wife Martina says that Sean struggles with words and especially with his short term memory
 but that he can remember things from the past and has no problem cursing.

Lookit

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #14967 on: June 06, 2019, 04:39:04 PM »
Doonbeg golf course was a victim of the crash
Trump bought it for EUR 15m after the crash

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/doonbeg-golf-club-sells-units-for-41m-1.1020241

Doonbeg Golf Club sells units for €41m
Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 01:00
Gordon Deegan

One of the State's most exclusive golf clubs at Doonbeg, Co Clare, has confirmed that it has secured €41 million through the sales of luxury suites at its €150 million golf resort on the west Clare coast.

Accounts for the venture returned to the Companies Office show that in 2005, Doonbeg Golf Club recorded a loss of €1.2 million. A spokesman yesterday attributed the loss "to the development and preparation costs associated with the opening of the five-star lodging, golf and hospitality facilities".

The accounts also show that the US investors behind the project have injected €48 million into the resort, which employed 270 people over the summer months this year.

A spokesman said yesterday: "Doonbeg Golf Club and its US developers, Kiawah Development Partners [ KDP], are delighted with the progress of the club."

He added that sales contracts for 32 units at the Lodge had been entered into last year, worth €27.6 million. The remaining 15 suites, worth €13.4 million, were sold during the early part of 2006. Almost all of these sales are expected to close by next month.

The opening of the Lodge has also led to a substantial increase in golf rounds.

Last year, golf rounds remained at about the same levels as 2004, but with the opening of the Lodge, the spokesman said: "golf rounds have dramatically increased by 40 per cent for the current year to over 20,000 rounds".

With green fees for the Greg Norman-designed course at €185 during week days and €195 at weekends, the club accumulated an estimated €3.7 million in green fees last year.

The spokesman said club membership sales continued to be strong, with 2005 being 39 per cent ahead of the sales levels achieved in 2004.

That trend has continued in 2006 with membership sales levels being another 44 per cent ahead of the 2005 levels, he said. There are now 430 members, approximately 40 per cent of them Irish.

Lookit

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #14968 on: June 06, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
Apparently the club applied for planning permission to build a sea wall to offset the threat of climate for change.

Hopefully for them it will not be needed as, according to the owner, climate change is just fake news made up by the Chinese.

Eamonnca1

• View Profile
« Reply #14969 on: June 06, 2019, 05:12:31 PM »
The amount of cap-doffing and forelock-tugging in Doonbeg was cringeworthy.