Rossies v Tyrone Hyde Park 13th July 5pm.

Started by giveballaghback, July 06, 2019, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2019, 11:22:41 AM
Whatever about the regular "small" decisions going mainly against us he refused to make the big calls against a big team.
He'll most likely get the AI Final so.

Cian Ward who I see as one of the better GAA analysts on GAA Hour called it a stonewalled penalty. Tyrone will be outraged by their yellow cards but I would rather get the ref decisions that impact scoreline any-day and they got the benefit of the non penalty call and the soft storable frees. Having said that, best team won and onto Round 2.

Main Street

That's quite a unique sight, to actually see a Tyrone player (Harte) on his knees after a tackle, holding his head in genuine pain.

I had to look at the incident about 20 times, gradually stripping off 19 engrained layers of disbelief. First impression (like most non Tyronies) was this was good theatre, supremely good method acting, in contrast for example to that clown McCann.

No doubt the howls of indignation have reached fever pitch in Tyrone, the ref!!  the sunday game!! the pundits!!!  all ignoring the incident  and most everybody carries on assuming (with innocent prejudice)  that Tyronies are the perennial sinners, the cynical masters of the GAA world.

Rudi

Quote from: fearsiuil on July 16, 2019, 11:52:06 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 16, 2019, 07:04:48 AM
Quote from: trileacman on July 16, 2019, 12:15:43 AM
Quote from: Jayop on July 15, 2019, 10:00:46 PM
What did HP actually do to Smith to get his yellow? Wasn't shown on TV and it seemed like either they couldn't find video of it or they forgot to look.

Smith's punch was a fairly dirty act, McCann was rightly called out by everyone for his dirty actions against Donegal and what Smith did was every bit as bad but in all the analysis I've read or heard since the game apart from on here there's not been a single mention of it.

As for the ref, I said thoughout the game I thought he was reffing the game well in terms of calling fouls, didn't miss much and I don't think either side should complain about that but the Rossies will because they know they haven't a leg to stand on with the card count so have to come up with some nonsense to deflect.

Smtih should have had a red, another black should have been handed out late in the game for the throw of McShane to the ground. Probably the most blatent black I've ever seen and after seeing some of the cards we've had in the last few weeks it was terrible it was missed. Some of the other yellows we got were beyond a joke.

It's not just this game that has us boiling over this. It's constant these days and coming on the heels of the Cavan match where the card count was again farcical then you have to wonder is it more than just simple reffing errors.

You obviously watched the match at home on tv. It's alot easier to call a yellow card fair/unfair having watched a succession of slow motion replays from your sofa. David Coldrick got one look at it happening at full pelt through a sea of bodies. They aren't easy calls to make. Add in the fact that players are going down clutching their head and faces for any contact of note and the difficulty in discerning the "truth" in a tackle is very difficult for anyone. To be fair to Coldrick he held back all day on issuing reds and blacks probably because he didn't see an instance where he could be 100% sure that it was definitely a black or definitely a red. It's a much greater injustice to have a player incorrectly sent off than to have a opposition player dealt with leniently.

I haven't seen the highlights yet barring Smiths strike on McGeary. For the record from the one look at the yellows I got on Saturday I couldn't definitively say that any of the cards dealt out were harsh with the exception of Ben McDonnells. Colly threw himself about recklessly all day and my heart was in my mouth watching him tackle because so many of them appeared rash and mistimed.

I'd completely disagree with what you said about McCann being rightly called out. I think there was a lot of hysteria around that incident that was unfair on an amateur player and I've seen it many times before in the GAA sadly. He deserved his ban but not the holier than thou condemnation from the "fur coat/no knickers" brigade. Conor Gormley, Diarmurd Connolly, Noel O'Leary, Francy Bellew, Neil McGee, Paul Galvin to name but a few have all been on the end of the "he's a disgrace/tr**p/coward/should be banned for life/never set foot on a pitch again" hand wringing. It's fuelled by two things; the sensationalism of certain Sunday Game analysts and old-fashioned Irish begrudgery. First it happens to a player from your country and old foes cry bloody murder so you bide your time until it's some other poor bstard's turn and then stick the boot into him.

Not sure the specific incident Patsy was carded for but he was hanging out of Smith for the early part of the game. It was certainly not a particularly unjust yellow. My only qualm with it was that Petey Harte is consistently targeted for special treatment of the ball, mainly because it's so effective, but I've yet to see a ref try to stamp it out. Matty Donnelly and McShane are physically powerful enough to counter such attention and the likes of Sludden have the yard of pace that make jersey pulling and holding so much more obvious to referees. Peter Harte doesn't have the size or pace to counter "off the ball" tactics but because he's such a vital cog in the Tyrone machine it's now a traditional tactic of nullifying Tyrone and it's very cynical. John Small does give him a horrid time off the ball when Tyrone play Dublin.

Below is the link to the punch on the head. You only need 1 viewing to know it was a clear strike. The linesman and ref had the perfect view of it. But as ot happened early in the game the ref ignored it

https://twitter.com/captainbullshi6/status/1150101239658455040?s=21
Smith a lucky lucky boy that not seen. Dirty act and he knew it when sidestepped the Tyrone lad running past him as was probably expecting a thump.

Of course he was expecting a thump, thats what Tyrone do. I will be heading in to Asda  Strabane Friday evening and will be expecting a few thumps as well.  ;D

Seriously when you talk to random GAA heads from other counties, the mere mention of Tyrone is met with a barge of "those dirty b~stards". It is what it is, Tyrone are a seriously fine side, but they are absouletly filthy.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rudi on July 16, 2019, 12:13:32 PM

Of course he was expecting a thump, thats what Tyrone do. I will be heading in to Asda  Strabane Friday evening and will be expecting a few thumps as well.  ;D

Seriously when you talk to random GAA heads from other counties, the mere mention of Tyrone is met with a barge of "those dirty b~stards". It is what it is, Tyrone are a seriously fine side, but they are absouletly filthy.

Right, that's it -- my mates and I shall be waiting at the Asda gates come Friday evening on your arrival!..
Bracketing us with the Dubs is just not on :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on July 16, 2019, 12:08:00 PM
That's quite a unique sight, to actually see a Tyrone player (Harte) on his knees after a tackle, holding his head in genuine pain.

I had to look at the incident about 20 times, gradually stripping off 19 engrained layers of disbelief. First impression (like most non Tyronies) was this was good theatre, supremely good method acting, in contrast for example to that clown McCann.

No doubt the howls of indignation have reached fever pitch in Tyrone, the ref!!  the sunday game!! the pundits!!!  all ignoring the incident  and most everybody carries on assuming (with innocent prejudice)  that Tyronies are the perennial sinners, the cynical masters of the GAA world.

If you looked at the incident about 20 times I'm surprised you didn't work out that it was HP McGeary. But crack on with your story.
That was never a square ball!!

iorras

Quote from: weareros on July 15, 2019, 03:39:49 PM
Quote from: iorras on July 15, 2019, 03:09:20 PM
Quote from: Angelo on July 14, 2019, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on July 14, 2019, 11:03:30 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 14, 2019, 10:37:04 PM
Imagine for a second if that was McCann who did what Smith did there. Imagine the social media outrage.
When tyrone are playing you dont need to imagine anything, it happens right in front of your eyes, Smith got fouled after he hit that shot that was saved by morgan, peno all day, also after the save from cregg a tyrone player picked the ball straight off the ground in the big square but sure the ref was a rossie ;D

You've a vivid imagination. Will the Roscommon media be running a match report this week on how they beat Tyrone as they bid to defend their All Ireland title or does the delusion extend only to the performance of the referee?
They are always like that, the most delusional fans in the country. Won Connacht this year and you had grown Rossie men crying like it was Leitrim circa 1994

The above brought to you by a Mayoman. Doing delusion better than anyone for 70 odd years.
what is an "aros" anyway and why should i wear one?

Farrandeelin

Imagine for a second if that was McCann who did what Smith did there. Imagine the social media outrage.
When tyrone are playing you dont need to imagine anything, it happens right in front of your eyes, Smith got fouled after he hit that shot that was saved by morgan, peno all day, also after the save from cregg a tyrone player picked the ball straight off the ground in the big square but sure the ref was a rossie ;D

You've a vivid imagination. Will the Roscommon media be running a match report this week on how they beat Tyrone as they bid to defend their All Ireland title or does the delusion extend only to the performance of the referee?
They are always like that, the most delusional fans in the country. Won Connacht this year and you had grown Rossie men crying like it was Leitrim circa 1994

The above brought to you by a Mayoman. Doing delusion better than anyone for 70 odd years.
Hmmm, we get excited when we win. Distraught when we lose. I think the two counties are a bit similar.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

giveballaghback

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 16, 2019, 05:22:17 PM

Hmmm, we get excited when we win. Distraught when we lose. I think the two counties are a bit similar.
;D ;D ;D