Your county’s toughest defeat to stomach

Started by BennyHarp, August 16, 2018, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Any of the numerous ones Il Bomber inflicted on us here.

snoopdog

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 16, 2018, 05:10:10 PM
Down 2010 or Donegal 2011 both had ridiculous refereeing decisions go against us, the Donegal one was a definite game changer
[/quote
The kildare goal in 2010 semi had more steps than strictly.
As a Down man 99 ulster final hiding and tlosing the AI final in 2010.

imtommygunn

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2018, 07:30:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2018, 06:55:04 PM
It's hard to pick one as an antrim fan!

The wexford quarter final was hard to stomach in early 2000s. The ref completely shafted us in the last ten minutes. Possibly kilkenny 91.

Recently there have just been too many you couldn't pick one.

Wasn't there one against Kerry around 09/10?

Yeah that would be the only football one. Really if we don't win we tend to have been out of our depths. Maybe kildare the first day round under baker too might be in there.

The hurling has had some sickening ones as we went thinking we'd a chance and at times were beat after ten minutes.

An Watcher

I have to echo Omagh_Gael with the 2005 Ulster Final defeat considering the referee played such a role in the defeat.  95 and 96 defeats were disappointing but that 2005 one stands out.  Thankfully we didn't have to wait too long for revenge

BennyHarp

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2018, 06:02:31 PM
'85 v Derry
'86 v Kerry
'88 v Monaghan

hit me hard.

Followed by

'95 v Dubs
'02 v Sligo

You could probably throw '87 in Irvinestown in there, The Come on Tyrone tape flat out on the way to the match, thinking we'd walk back to Croke Park...then Armagh stick 5 goals past us and the summer is over. As a youngster I was fairly devastated.
That was never a square ball!!

tippabu

Not a defeat but not winning and throwing away a munster football final in thurles against cork in 2002 was very tough, arses handed to us in the replay.

Tyrone under 21 AI final in 2015

Cavan in the league last year was tough because its a game we should have wrapped up and gained promotion from but let it slip.....Roscommon last year was more of a freak result losing it slip and at the time wasnt the all or nothing game the cavan one was.

Jinxy

The '91 final.
Even though we were the peoples' champions, winning the actual silverware would have been the perfect finale to an epic year.
Colm O'Rourke rising from his death bed like the warrior he was nearly swung it for us.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Farrandeelin

Where do you start! Was 9 in 96, but should have won the first day.

99 against Cork, thought we were going to win that semi.

01 Connacht final v Ros.

13 v Dublin, had enough chances in the first half.

Last year left me wondering if I will ever see Sam in Mayo - I'm resigned to the fact that we'll get beat every year at some stage.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

red hander

Quote from: tippabu on August 16, 2018, 08:22:56 PM
Not a defeat but not winning and throwing away a munster football final in thurles against cork in 2002 was very tough, arses handed to us in the replay.

Tyrone under 21 AI final in 2015

Cavan in the league last year was tough because its a game we should have wrapped up and gained promotion from but let it slip.....Roscommon last year was more of a freak result losing it slip and at the time wasnt the all or nothing game the cavan one was.

Real ding-dong battle in the rain that could have gone either way.

Dublin All-Ireland final 1995.
Meath 1996 All-Ireland semi-final.
Any defeat by the inbreds (but that's nothing we're going to have to worry about in the future  ;))

markl121

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 16, 2018, 04:57:54 PM
Derry - the first Galway sf defeat, 2nd one wasn't great either, Down 94, and Cavan as mentioned
That first Galway defeat for me too, was my first game in Croker, and the last Derry game until this year that my da went to. So it meant no games for me for years.

omaghjoe

I think the worst defeats were those after winning the AI. In 04 we had Donegal & Mayo but the Derry one in 06 was particularly irksome. Cork in 09 also

Meath in 96 also, not only the manner of it but the fact that we really thought we had found the key after sweeping Ulster.

larryin89

Before this era it would of been 96&97 .

All defeats in this era from 2013 on were gut wrenching , no other county will ever understand the pain . I'm a 40 yr old man but have no problem admitting in 2016 I actually broke down and cried coming out of hill16 with the rare Aul times blaring in my ears . Like I say it's impossible to explain the hurt to others ,it's simply unique to Mayo . Like Farr above I know now I'll never see a Mayo man lift Sam Maguire but the memories have been brilliant at the same time .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

ONeill

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 16, 2018, 09:11:38 PM
I think the worst defeats were those after winning the AI.

Complete opposite for me. After Sam arrived it took the edge off.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.