The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: screenexile on March 01, 2019, 09:46:45 AM
Talk about your massive over reactions over a couple of indifferent performances!!!
That's always the way with Irish rugby.
Before the New Zealand game last November there was gloom after an insipid display against Argentina.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 01, 2019, 10:35:36 AM
Talk about your massive over reactions over a couple of indifferent performances!!!
Before the New Zealand game last November there was gloom after an insipid display against Argentina.

I think it's modern life. Everything is either wonderful or crap. The middle ground where the majority of things tend to be has been abandoned.
#newbridgeornowhere

trueblue1234

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 01, 2019, 10:38:50 AM

I think it's modern life. Everything is either wonderful or crap. The middle ground where the majority of things tend to be has been abandoned.

This has to be one of the worst posts I've seen on this board. Absolute nonsense.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Kickham csc

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 01, 2019, 10:23:04 AM
Any thoughts on Ireland being purposely undercooked with the coming months ahead? I'd say they aren't too worried.

Apparently England are training really hard, so I think Ireland have not prioritized the 6 nations this year.

Hope that's the case

johnnycool

Quote from: Kickham csc on March 01, 2019, 11:31:03 AM
Any thoughts on Ireland being purposely undercooked with the coming months ahead? I'd say they aren't too worried.

Apparently England are training really hard, so I think Ireland have not prioritized the 6 nations this year.

Hope that's the case

Eddie Jones is in a different place to Schmitt and needs a good 6N's to stay in the job. Up until Wales found them out they were the second coming of Jesus and his disciples...

Now they're getting critised for no plan B. Sound familiar.

screenexile

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 01, 2019, 11:18:43 AM

This has to be one of the worst posts I've seen on this board. Absolute nonsense.

It's the most accurate post on here . . . you're either good or you're shit there is no in between anymore and this is only exacerbated by 24 hour media coverage and clickbait and having to stay relevant. Saying "ah yeah we've been off a couple of games but we'll come good soon" doesn't sell many papers or get too many clicks.

Ireland in crisis or Johnny Sexton is taking too many hits is how everything is now!

Dinny Breen

I have been on this board nearly 15 years, that is some statement.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jim_Murphy_74

Sexton certainly seemed wound up about things after Italy game so it's hard to know.

At the end of the day Ireland have a uniform way of playing and it relies on ruck ball and winning the collisions.  If the forwards are a little undercooked (or injuries & changes in personnel break continuity) then the ball to Murray is going to be poor, then that will throw things out of kilter.  Add in that Murray is struggling a bit post injury and Sexton is trying to get game time under the belt too.

The other is that even though they coped with Bundee Aki last season Ireland are best with Henshaw and particularly Ringrose in the centre to make things happen.

Missing Kearney against England also disrupted things.   Putting Henshaw there really disrupted things and I doubt they would have done that if it wasn't with an eye on later in the year.   

So potentially they are slightly under-cooked but I think they are rattled by how these things have effected them.   There was a narrative that we had so many lads in every position.  The fact is that even with good replacements, the injuries have caused a lot of disruption and they need to consider that.

So as long as they are just rattled and not mentally scarred then they can recover.   This time out Ireland have toughest game first with Scotland rather than last as they had in 2015.   

The other is that as per All-Blacks game last year Schmidt does seem able to plan and get team to deliver for a big one-off game.   

His tenure (despite all that has been delivered in 6 nations) will be judged on winning a World Cup quarter-final. Really all evidence to date points that that's within the ability.

/Jim.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 01, 2019, 11:49:24 AM

Sexton certainly seemed wound up about things after Italy game so it's hard to know.

At the end of the day Ireland have a uniform way of playing and it relies on ruck ball and winning the collisions.  If the forwards are a little undercooked (or injuries & changes in personnel break continuity) then the ball to Murray is going to be poor, then that will throw things out of kilter.  Add in that Murray is struggling a bit post injury and Sexton is trying to get game time under the belt too.

The other is that even though they coped with Bundee Aki last season Ireland are best with Henshaw and particularly Ringrose in the centre to make things happen.

Missing Kearney against England also disrupted things.   Putting Henshaw there really disrupted things and I doubt they would have done that if it wasn't with an eye on later in the year.   

So potentially they are slightly under-cooked but I think they are rattled by how these things have effected them.   There was a narrative that we had so many lads in every position.  The fact is that even with good replacements, the injuries have caused a lot of disruption and they need to consider that.

So as long as they are just rattled and not mentally scarred then they can recover.   This time out Ireland have toughest game first with Scotland rather than last as they had in 2015.   

The other is that as per All-Blacks game last year Schmidt does seem able to plan and get team to deliver for a big one-off game.   

His tenure (despite all that has been delivered in 6 nations) will be judged on winning a World Cup quarter-final. Really all evidence to date points that that's within the ability.

/Jim.

Aki a good man when everyone else is motoring well, when they aren't - you just feel he offers little more other than obvious physical momentum. I've long wondered just how good he actually is.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: johnnycool on March 01, 2019, 11:34:25 AM
Quote from: Kickham csc on March 01, 2019, 11:31:03 AM

Hope that's the case

Eddie Jones is in a different place to Schmitt and needs a good 6N's to stay in the job. Up until Wales found them out they were the second coming of Jesus and his disciples...

Now they're getting critised for no plan B. Sound familiar.

Their plan A is suited to the World Cup and knock-out rugby.  It might cause hysteria in the press but Jones won't be swayed.   The other things is that Wales played really well against them.

A conservative game won it for them in 2003 and got them to the final in 2007 (where SA adapted a pretty similar kicking game).

When NZ were under pressure in 2011 they went a similar route when facing big nations. 

Jones is cunning enough to know there is little champagne rugby at the business end of World Cups. 

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 01, 2019, 12:02:07 PM
Aki a good man when everyone else is motoring well, when they aren't - you just feel he offers little more other than obvious physical momentum. I've long wondered just how good he actually is.

I remember him scoring a try last year against Italy.  He used his bulk to burst through 3 Italian forwards close to the line.  He ignored a massive overlap to do that.  I thought at the time great try but Joe won't be happy that overlap wasn't used.

When things are going well and Plan A is being disrupted then Ringrose give you something that most other options in the centre don't.

/Jim.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 01, 2019, 11:48:46 AM

I have been on this board nearly 15 years, that is some statement.
;)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Tony Baloney

AZOffaly

I think it's absolutely brilliant, one of the best I've ever seen.