2019 All Ireland Football Qualifiers

Started by Don Draper, June 11, 2019, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

I don't know Blueandwhite1  I don't think Cork are great, I feel Super 8's will be an eyeopener for us.  But we will never move up the levels unless we are there.  However Cork are far short of Super 8's standard them ourselves are just on the lucky draw.

recyclebin

Super 8 would be a great for Laois. We may lose all three games but it would be against division 1 teams and be good preparation for division 2 next year. It would highlight our biggest weakness to work on.

Cork will have there homework done. I was sitting beside two of their backroom team on Saturday in O Moore Park and they were flat out taking notes on both Laois and Offaly. They weren't even hiding the fact that they were from Cork. Both had Cork gaa tshirts on.

Tony

Ballyroan, Cork were very unlucky in the League to go down, beating Armagh on the last day. They are a good side and their championship form has been good with an impressive showing against Kerry - one of the top 3 sides in the country. So I'm not sure if you've seen them at all this year. Having said that, I think we can have a competitive enough game with them. But to label us favourites is very questionable.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on July 01, 2019, 01:14:08 PM
This is exactly where you want to be. We have learned enough about Laois to know that we are very good at beating teams below us but you have to move up a serious notch to be good enough to compete in the Super 8s. Cork ran Kerry very close and will be very confident of beating us. If they do, then in reality we are not ready for the Super 8s. If we beat them, then we will deserve to be in the Super 8s. The likely group that Laois would be in are Dublin, Tyrone and Roscommon (sorry Cavan).

Personally, I thought we looked more than good enough on Saturday to beat Offaly but a long way off the standard that is required. Our defending is only sporadically intense and the speed at which we attack is way off the mark.
We're missing out two main central defenders, of course its going to be sporadic, but its developing.

High Fielder

Cork looked good the last day, but you could turn that on its head and say that Kerry looked a million miles off being All Ireland contenders. They're probably no better than Meath, who we were very disappointing against. It's not a game I'd expect to win, but I'd be delighted if we did, obviously.

thegreeenandgold

I'm a huge fan of the League and I think the tables tend to be an accurate assessment of where teams are.  I've seen Cork sporadically play well but more often than not they are poor.  Historically a big name but that counts for little.  I know we are a long way off the top sides, but I don't think Cork are a top side.

Don Draper

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on July 01, 2019, 02:04:36 PM
I'm a huge fan of the League and I think the tables tend to be an accurate assessment of where teams are.  I've seen Cork sporadically play well but more often than not they are poor.  Historically a big name but that counts for little.  I know we are a long way off the top sides, but I don't think Cork are a top side.
There was no easy tie for Laois, thats what happens when separate the wheat from the chaff. This Laois side shouldn't fear Cork, but respect is expected. Cork scored heavy against Limerick and Kerry and got all the goals they wanted in both. That will have to be dealt with. I think we'll cause them plenty of problems too. There's a lot of reasons to be hopeful here.

Laois Rising

Huge positivism back in Cork football. In challenge games leading up to Munster final were playing well and brought that form into Munster Final. With getting Laois in draw their tails will be up. Ruairi Deane is probably one of the quickest centre forwards in country and not afraid to run directly at goal. Interesting to see if Laois drop a permanent sweeper in front of full back line to try counter act these runs. Collins Connolly Hurley will cause problems for full back line. Cork midfield competed well with Kerry so huge challenge ahead of Lillis and O'Loughlin- I think our midfield partnership performance has been consistently good this year and hopefully that will ring true again next weekend. Where we have a chance is if our forwards click. They have improved with each championship game-the Kingstons, Murphy and Carroll all capable of scoring heavily when on song. If they do there won't be too much between the sides come the final whistle.   

Helix.

Quote from: Laois Rising on July 01, 2019, 02:16:25 PM
Huge positivism back in Cork football. In challenge games leading up to Munster final were playing well and brought that form into Munster Final. With getting Laois in draw their tails will be up. Ruairi Deane is probably one of the quickest centre forwards in country and not afraid to run directly at goal. Interesting to see if Laois drop a permanent sweeper in front of full back line to try counter act these runs. Collins Connolly Hurley will cause problems for full back line. Cork midfield competed well with Kerry so huge challenge ahead of Lillis and O'Loughlin- I think our midfield partnership performance has been consistently good this year and hopefully that will ring true again next weekend. Where we have a chance is if our forwards click. They have improved with each championship game-the Kingstons, Murphy and Carroll all capable of scoring heavily when on song. If they do there won't be too much between the sides come the final whistle.   

Didn't laois play Cork in challenge before Westmeath match? At least they'd have some knowledge of Cork beforehand. Won't be much in the final score hopefully 👍🏻

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

in the draw this morning, I was hoping for Galway, Cork , Cavan in that order.
Most Laois people seemed to want Cavan, I did not because they had in the bank rock solid wins over Monaghan and Armagh and might be a step ahead of Laois.
I would have taken Galway first because the word is that Walsh has lost the dressing room and they would be vulnerable if you kept with them for 50 mins.

Cork is a so-so outfit..........forget about the challenge games  and the freakish win against Limerick, 3-3 in 5 minutes ended that game.  Overall Cork have the same professional losers in this team that have been knocking about for the last 3 or 4 years.

They done OK against Kerry, but I believe Kerry always fancied they would do enough to win and did not go gungho like in 2018. One fact is that after 58 minutes of the Munster final, the game was a draw and in the remaining 12 minutes plus stoppage time, Kerry, also down a man, won that period by 3 points and when all is said and done Cork only scored 13 times in that game.

Stripped back I think this is still the same moderate Cork team of recent years, confidence could be brittle and if Laois are up for the battle, we might have the appetite to see it out and wrestle a win.

Leixlad

Thurles Saturday 5pm, bring it on  8)

Don Draper

Quote from: Leixlad on July 01, 2019, 03:09:06 PM
Revenge for the U21 Final defeat.

The PRO

Quote from: Don Draper on July 01, 2019, 03:12:52 PM
Did you have to bring that up? Still have nightmares about that one. We were so much the better team.and chucked it away.

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on July 01, 2019, 03:28:28 PM
Did you have to bring that up? Still have nightmares about that one. We were so much the better team.and chucked it away.
Revenge for Sean Ban Breathnach?

on the hop

Quote from: Don Draper on July 01, 2019, 03:30:59 PM
Quote from: The PRO on July 01, 2019, 03:28:28 PM
Revenge for Sean Ban Breathnach?
never forgotten