FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Them days we had Robbie Keane, Duff, Kilbane,  Given, Ian Harte, John O'Shea, Stevie Finnan.

We also had Andy Reid, Clinton Morrison, An old Roy Keane, Liam Miller, Kenny Cunningham, Matt Holland, Stephen Carr.

looks much better than what we have today. We were in a group with World Class French team, An always strong Swiss team, and Israel as an emerging football nation.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 11, 2020, 01:56:36 PM
Them days we had Robbie Keane, Duff, Kilbane,  Given, Ian Harte, John O'Shea, Stevie Finnan.

We also had Andy Reid, Clinton Morrison, An old Roy Keane, Liam Miller, Kenny Cunningham, Matt Holland, Stephen Carr.

looks much better than what we have today. We were in a group with World Class French team, An always strong Swiss team, and Israel as an emerging football nation.

Keane wasn't involved in the 2004 campaign.

Israel an emerging team? I don't recall them doing anything since. Ireland conceded a last minute goal over there, and went 2-0 up at home, when Israel cheated, dived, lay down, time wasted, and everything else to gain a draw.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on April 11, 2020, 03:11:14 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 11, 2020, 01:56:36 PM

Keane wasn't involved in the 2004 campaign.

Israel an emerging team? I don't recall them doing anything since. Ireland conceded a last minute goal over there, and went 2-0 up at home, when Israel cheated, dived, lay down, time wasted, and everything else to gain a draw.

Israel were ranked 44 in 2004 and went on to get to their highest ranking of 18 four years later. After that they fell of the wagon! But they were emerging at that time!

JPGJOHNNYG

We absolutely stank under Kerr. The man worked wonders with the youth teams but with the first team which had much better players than we have now we didnt beat anyone competitively above about 80 in the rankings. As noted earlier we needed gary doherty to save us against the likes of albania. We had one good game in Paris where we should have won but didnt and that was about it.

red hander

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on April 11, 2020, 07:25:23 PM
We absolutely stank under Kerr. The man worked wonders with the youth teams but with the first team which had much better players than we have now we didnt beat anyone competitively above about 80 in the rankings. As noted earlier we needed gary doherty to save us against the likes of albania. We had one good game in Paris where we should have won but didnt and that was about it.
This. I really wanted Kerr to succeed. But then I heard about his attitude about kids from here playing for failed statelet, especially from fact his people were from Ardoyne, that just fucked me off. I was physically at 90 per cent of Kerr games, and he just sent out a shower of bottlers, it was depressing.

From the Bunker

imtommygunn

general

BennyCake

No Giles or Staunton instead of Coleman? And what about Cascarino?!

dec

All-Time Ireland XI?

I would have Jennings, Blanchflower and Best on that team.

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on June 04, 2020, 09:54:07 PM
No Giles or Staunton instead of Coleman? And what about Cascarino?!
Staunton should definitely be in there. Steve Finnan could have been in with a shout also.  Ronnie Whelan instead of Duff also. Frank Stapleton instead of Quinn.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Duff has to be there. Agree on Staunton and  Stapleton. Finnan maybe but I think Coleman better.

Boycey

I'd have Stapleton for Quinn, Whelan in but likely for Houghton not Duff, Staunton for Coleman and Lawrenson for Dunne.

Obviously Giles is a shoo-in for any older people and generally regarded as one of our top 3 of all time but all I remember is an aging player manager for WBA and Ireland

Capt Pat

Maybe a 5 man midfield with Giles or Whelan in instead of the big giraffe Quinn.

It looks like an internet poll to me with all the players being pretty much from the modern era. The older generation were overlooked.