2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

not to much cheer out of him, u think he be bouncing after that one

Wildweasel74

All u need is Gatlin to win this one and the stewards enquiry will be in!!

moysider

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 15, 2016, 02:17:44 AM
Interesting to hear Johnson being a good sport about it. His record is gone I don't believe it.

All records go. Johnson is at least 2 generations ago considering the shelf life of athletes.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 15, 2016, 02:10:01 AM
It's getting ridiculous. Michael Johnson thinks it's real. Ffs
What would he know?!

moysider

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 15, 2016, 02:20:50 AM
All u need is Gatlin to win this one and the stewards enquiry will be in!!

Gatlin won t win.
Anyway Gatlin has already dirtied his bib.

Wildweasel74

Serious questions been asked about the split times in the 400m, first 300m in a crazy time according to RTE

JimStynes

Felt sorry for Gatlin there. I'm getting soft in my old age!

Wildweasel74

Getting some abuse alright, he got fairly close there too before Bolt pulled him in with 10m to go

JimStynes

Bolt unstoppable. Chicken nuggets are some job

moysider

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 15, 2016, 02:24:25 AM
Serious questions been asked about the split times in the 400m, first 300m in a crazy time according to RTE

Forget about RTE. Usually negative shite we get from Sunday Game, rugby when George was about and of course the soccer panellists.

Great to see that from Bolt. However the great performances from Van Niekirk and Almaz Ayana should also be embraced in good faith. Unless there is evidence to the contrary.
RTE not questioning bolt now. Why do they give him a clean bill?

Capt Pat

Van Niekerkisnt even black ffs :-[ :-[

JimStynes

Olympics and athletics in general have been ruined a bit. Worst Olympics I can remember and every result is suspect now.

moysider

Quote from: JimStynes on August 15, 2016, 02:43:20 AM
Olympics and athletics in general have been ruined a bit. Worst Olympics I can remember and every result is suspect now.

It's every sport. There was doping back in the 70's and probably before as well. Plus ça change. Lasse Viren accused of blood transfusions back in the 70's.

Sport is about getting better and faster. Are we expecting athletes to get slower and weaker while human achievement in technology etc. snowballs. I think that it is normal that improved nutrition and general standard of living in developing countries will see exceptionally talented individuals emerge.

Line Ball

I'm not sure if it's the coverage, the attendances, the atmosphere or what but it just doesn't seem nearly half as exciting as previous Olympics.  Even Bolt winning was good but not great and I'm not talking about his performance. Something different and I can't figure out what but it's not great.

moysider

Quote from: Line Ball on August 15, 2016, 03:10:58 AM
I'm not sure if it's the coverage, the attendances, the atmosphere or what but it just doesn't seem nearly half as exciting as previous Olympics.  Even Bolt winning was good but not great and I'm not talking about his performance. Something different and I can't figure out what but it's not great.

I'm enjoying them. Rio is probably not the best place for Olympics. If games were in Europe or US, the athletics would be sold out.

FIFA and IOC need to stop this nonsense of giving games to places to Rio, Quatar!! and Russia!

Rio has millions of people living in favelas that they can not provide services for. Yet they have spent billions on these games. Sad that during the women's marathon that they needed such security to keep protesters at bay. The people of Rio didn't want these games. It took Montreal 30 years to pay for their Olympics. Montreal is a developed city. How long will it take an impoverished city like Rio to pay for this? The bottom line is they will have to pay and the it will be the poor that will take the brunt. Their lives will still be shit while the city will be paying off depts for decades. The games will finish up in a week and Rio will be quickly forgotten. There will be no long-term benefit for Rio from these games. All they will have is a big bill that they can't afford.