Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Quote from: snoopdog on September 18, 2016, 08:28:01 PM
They never mentioned them or showed a 2nd of it. I could see them on pitch over brollys shoulder. They usually show them every year. Must be an anti northern thing. :(

I heard from a player that he was very pleased the way Croke park looked after them.

But as for RTE - poor effort. They could at least have stuck it up on rte player or what have you.

SHEEDY

Quote from: pointman2 on September 23, 2016, 11:13:47 AM
Anybody on here who cares about who wins on Sunday?

Kilcoo are strong favourites and should win......but so were Dublin last week.

Local derby, complacency on behalf of Kilcoo, poor weather, little bits of luck going Clonduff's way.......

A shock possible?
a shock is definitely possible. c'mon the yella's!!!
nil satis nisi optimum

ashman

Did the Down hurling final end 0-6 to 0-2.   Was the weather awful ?? Game poor ?? Or negative tactics ???

Samforever

Quote from: ashman on September 25, 2016, 10:48:00 AM
Did the Down hurling final end 0-6 to 0-2.   Was the weather awful ?? Game poor ?? Or negative tactics ???
Half time was 6.2 as well . No score in 2nd half

RadioGAAGAA

Bredagh really turned the screw in the last 20!
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

I think the fellas still remember 2011.
i usse an speelchekor

oileain blues

The question is, can Kilcoo win Ulster ? I'm not convinced they can , having watched their previous attempts and watched this current team I think they were better equipped previously, I sincerely hope I'm wrong , I have the greatest respect for their achievements but it's the physical contests in heavy conditions where they might be found wanting ,it's the heart verses head thing but good luck. UTM

SHEEDY

thought clonduff would have run kilcoo a bit closer but you have to say kilcoo were far superior in every postion and won pulling up. a couple of errors in 1st half led to kilcoo goals and after that there was only one winner. hope they can go on and give ulster a rattle. 5 in a row is some achievement.
well done to bredagh as well, very impressive performances by hughes and davidson in attack.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

Kilcoo are a serious outfit and today's final was effectively over as soon as their first goal went in. There may be a question mark over their size down the middle but they are brilliantly organised, have pace all over the field and a decent bench. While there are some very strong sides around in the Ulster championship, and Kilcoo have a tough preliminary round tie away to the Monaghan championships, they should give it a rattle.

Bredagh produced an outstanding display in the intermediate, particularly as they were 3/1 with Paddy Power. Davison hit two fine goals, although he might have had another three as An Riocht folded after the break. There will be something wrong if Donal Hughes is not given a run at county level. as he has been brilliant throughout Bredagh's championship run.  Marty Clarke may have been carrying a knock but he was not in the contest at any stage, and Bredagh's overall fitness looked at a different level.

DownFanatic

Outstanding achievement by Bredagh. They have made serious progress in the past few years. Hughes and Davidson should be in the new Down squad come November. An Riocht totally underperformed.
I thought Kilcoo were trundling along in third gear. They could have opened Clonduff up a lot more. A supreme outfit on and off the pitch. Some of the smaller things the collective do makes all the difference. Such is their class. Ulster will have been their target all season and a big performance will be needed to oust the Monaghan champs.

johnneycool

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 26, 2016, 09:23:30 AM
Outstanding achievement by Bredagh. They have made serious progress in the past few years. Hughes and Davidson should be in the new Down squad come November. An Riocht totally underperformed.
I thought Kilcoo were trundling along in third gear. They could have opened Clonduff up a lot more. A supreme outfit on and off the pitch. Some of the smaller things the collective do makes all the difference. Such is their class. Ulster will have been their target all season and a big performance will be needed to oust the Monaghan champs.

Hughes is already in the Down squad.

Hurling one that is.

6th sam

Quote from: johnneycool on September 26, 2016, 11:19:16 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on September 26, 2016, 09:23:30 AM

Hughes is already in the Down squad.

Hurling one that is.

Fair play Johnny,  and congrats on the victory at the weekend. Ballygalget should be a model for every club in the county, to be able to be competitive at Down , Ulster and All-Ireland level over the years, with a tiny population is an incredible achievement. Particularly delighted for Johnny McGrattan.
Regarding Hughes, he has been a quality dual player for years, could he be a dual Intercounty senior? The geography of our county doesn't make it easy , but he's a definitely a class act at both codes.

Square Ball

What a year it has been for us, intermediate champions at football and hurling and senior champions in ladies football, plus east down minor football, u16 hurling and we could win another 1 or 2. Reading the papers in the run up to the game we, in bonus territory, An Riochts to lose blah blah blah, we won well and Donal Hughes was superb and fully deserved his MOTM award.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

johnneycool

Quote from: Square Ball on September 26, 2016, 12:10:13 PM
What a year it has been for us, intermediate champions at football and hurling and senior champions in ladies football, plus east down minor football, u16 hurling and we could win another 1 or 2. Reading the papers in the run up to the game we, in bonus territory, An Riochts to lose blah blah blah, we won well and Donal Hughes was superb and fully deserved his MOTM award.

You forgot the minor hurling shield as well square ball..

As for Donal and the football, in the Hughes household I'm sure football isn't high on the agenda with the Da being a Ballycran man and the mum from Ballycastle IIRC, to borrow a Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh saying, neither is a footballing stronghold, but fair play to the lad if Burns does give him a call up.

Mourne Red

Bit of a joke St Pauls not fielding against Dundrum when they have a possibility of winning Division 4, any reason for them choosing not to tog out?? :-\