Guinness 10 Greatest Irish Sporting Moments

Started by Over the Bar, November 17, 2007, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Same here - one of the many great comebacks. But I think my favourite of all the comebacks was GG's goal against Louth in Navan in the qualifier. Ollie was involved in that one two. What made it great was that we only needed the point to draw. It was clearly going to be the last play of the match, after being about five points down in the last minute of normal time. Ollie runs along the end line and picks out Geraghty about 12-14 yards out, surrounded by Louth defenders. A cheer goes up from crowd - we all know he'll box it over for the equaliser. Only GG would have seen the opening for the goal and definitely only he would have gone for it and risked missing it - "feck the draw - I'm going to finish it now". Low and hard through a crowd of players into the bottom corner. Genius.

I have never seen a group of supporters as crestfallen as the Louth people that day. You'd nearly have felt sorry for them. Nearly.

Pietas

Surely Michael Donnellan running from one end of the pitch to the other without mouthing off or hitting anyone (particularly the referee) is the greatest gaa moment of all time.  Sure didn't the great rte viewing public vote it no 1? ;D
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Hardy

LE - I know you have every reason to remember it well  :P, but I think you're remembering Ollie Murphy being close to the line. As I remember it, Trevor Giles caught a long ball about 50 metres out from the hospital end, in the centre and delivered a good foot pass to Ollie in the right corner. Ollie ran in along the end line and you're right - as I remember it, there was ample opportunity to put him over the line. However, Ollie could be very elusive and he managed to find Graham in front of the goals and the rest, as they say, is hysteria.

It was a heavy blow to Louth people all right. One memory that illustrates it. I walked into a pub in Drogheda later that night, to be greeted by a man I know, a mild-mannered schoolteacher as "you f*****g lousy Meath b****x"!