125 Most Influential People In GAA History

Started by Square Ball, January 04, 2009, 10:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

boojangles

No Michael O Muireahuirteaigh??
Hughie O Reilly should have been far further up.

Open yer eyes Man

32 Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh, Voice Of Gaelic Games

Apart from having a voice that immediately invokes scorching days in Semple or Croker, Ó Muircheartaigh played a crucial role in the reinvention of Gaelic games as cool during the Celtic Tiger years; t-shirts bearing his visage are common on match days. Most important though is the uninhibited joy he takes in watching games and his ability to relay that excitement onto listeners, be they eight or 80. (1930-)

saffron sam2

I stopped reading here.

87 Colm ORourke, Thinking Mans Footballer

The only rival to Larry Tompkins as the best footballer of the late 80s, ORourke was the strongest character on a team loaded with strong characters. Through his newspaper column which started in this paper, he was one of the first players to offer a real insight into the thoughts and fears of those who play the game. One of the great college coaches of the last 15 years, he continues to educate the nation with the most respected observations in TV football punditry. (1957-)
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Fear ón Srath Bán

This list owes more to pop culture than proper GAA culture: how could they have left out someone who was centrally involved in drawing up the rules of hurling?

Less than two years before the foundation of the GAA in 1884, another Tyroneman, Hugh Alexander Auchinleck, a native of Strabane and a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, had been largely instrumental with Michael Cusack in establishing the Dublin Hurling Club and in drawing up the rules of hurling.

Sourced here
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

corn02

Good to see Danny Murphy make it. UC gets so much abuse on here but is rarely praised despite some great work.

thejuice

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 05, 2009, 08:22:17 AM
I stopped reading here.

87 Colm ORourke, Thinking Mans Footballer

The only rival to Larry Tompkins as the best footballer of the late 80s, ORourke was the strongest character on a team loaded with strong characters. Through his newspaper column which started in this paper, he was one of the first players to offer a real insight into the thoughts and fears of those who play the game. One of the great college coaches of the last 15 years, he continues to educate the nation with the most respected observations in TV football punditry. (1957-)

Yeah, I got a laugh out of that alright.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Canalman

Presume your man Auchinleck is a relative of the British General in WW2.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Wouldn't be sure about that Canalman -- Claude Auchinleck  (Field Marshal,WWII) was born in Aldershot, though not sure of his family history.

Edit: He (Field Marshal) had Fermanagh roots apparently Wikipedia Entry

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: hardstation on January 05, 2009, 01:38:12 PM
From Wikipedia:

Auchinleck (from the Irish: Achadh na Leice meaning "Field of the Flat stone") is a townland in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. It is situated on the outskirts of Strabane.

Auchinleck was the home of Hugh Alexander, an influential person in GAA history.

Post the link then hardstation ShawsRoadWestBelfast.

Fear ón Srath Bán

In your figmentation that's all it says  :P

It's not unusual for those originally of Planter stock to have toponymic surnames (taken from a place), i.e., Paisley, Hamilton, etc., and Auchinleck is actually a place in Scotland: Wiki Entry.

Not even a whiff of bullshit about that  ;)

thebandit

I thought Kevin McGourty might get a mention as well!!!