Gaelic Football RIP

Started by High Fielder, July 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: High Fielder on July 22, 2018, 12:10:05 AM
If by real stuff you mean uncompetitive and repetitive then fair enough. Dublin are the best exponents of the modern game, but they're hardly exciting are they? I'm just expressing a personal opinion here. I find modern intercounty football dull. The endless hand passing, the lack of physicality, the handbags blow ups, the make it up as you go along refereeing, the atmosphere at matches etc. Modern football is rubbish in my opinion

have to agree  with you for the most part although was a great atmosphere in Omagh with a full house and the Dubs there and wasn't the worst game.. but yeah most tends to be rubbish at county level these days

sid waddell

Quote from: longballin on July 22, 2018, 12:05:01 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 21, 2018, 11:45:31 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 21, 2018, 11:21:12 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 21, 2018, 11:19:37 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on July 21, 2018, 11:00:32 PM
The title of this thread needs changes to intercounty football.  Club football is still very entertaining
You mustn't have watched the last four All-Ireland club finals.

Tyrone v Dublin this evening was light years ahead both in quality and entertainment.

but overall not just some selected games club football is much better
Overall, club football is light years behind.

Most of it is absolute dirge.

The real stuff is played at inter-county level.

Club football is kids stuff by comparison.

suppose it depends on what county you are in. Are you from Kilkenny?  ah you're the eejit was cheering that England would win the World Cup  :D
I live in Galway but I'm from Dublin, which has the strongest club championship in the country, year on year.

I can tell you that entertainment was in pretty short supply in the 2017 Dublin SFC.

The Galway SFC is a glorified turkey shoot for Corofin, and it's far from the only club championship in the country which has such a situation.

Does 19 out of 20 Armagh titles for Crossmaglen ring a bell?

Club football in general tends to showcase poor skills, poor tactics, poor fitness, poor attendances and poor entertainment.

thejuice

Not only is it becoming something no one wants to watch it's becoming a game no one wants to play. The amount of lads walking off panels or turning down a place on the squad is ever growing.

Supposedly Kevin Walsh has had 52 players either leave or refuse to join the squad in the last two years. I can't say if that's true but if it is it's staggering that they're even competing. Meath, Derry, Offaly and Cork have all experienced similar the last few years.

It's not just that players don't think they can compete or meet the demands of training it's also they simply don't like playing in these "systems". It's not enjoyable.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

longballin

I suppose depends on the county... is a great senior club championship in Tyrone as well as at Intermediate and Junior. Any of 8 teams at least could win the seniors and recently was 7 different winners in 7 years and usually big crowds and hughly competitive good games. Most here enjoy it more than county football I think is true to say.

ONeill

Quote from: thejuice on July 22, 2018, 12:16:14 AM
Not only is it becoming something no one wants to watch it's becoming a game no one wants to play. The amount of lads walking off panels or turning down a place on the squad is ever growing.

Supposedly Kevin Walsh has had 52 players either leave or refuse to join the squad in the last two years. I can't say if that's true but if it is it's staggering that they're even competing. Meath, Derry, Offaly and Cork have all experienced similar the last few years.

It's not just that players don't think they can compete or meet the demands of training it's also they simply don't like playing in these "systems". It's not enjoyable.

So.

Play club football then.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

High Fielder

I think we've reached a point where certain matches have no business being played. Mismatches on a scale not seen anywhere near as regularly as in the GAA. Crowds disappearing and players walking away. Hardly a recipe for future wellbeing. I personally think county boundaries are an inadequate way of splitting up the GAA community. I don't ever see a time when imbalances can be redressed. And for me, that makes the GAA anti competitive

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: High Fielder on July 22, 2018, 12:32:41 AM
I think we've reached a point where certain matches have no business being played. Mismatches on a scale not seen anywhere near as regularly as in the GAA. Crowds disappearing and players walking away. Hardly a recipe for future wellbeing. I personally think county boundaries are an inadequate way of splitting up the GAA community. I don't ever see a time when imbalances can be redressed. And for me, that makes the GAA anti competitive

Well what's the alternative?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

High Fielder

Professional franchises maybe? Who knows. In my opinion the county model is broken beyond repair. It's not Dublin's problem that they're as far ahead as they are, and they deserve their success because they've worked hard for it. But the resources they have available to them in comparison to so many counties, maybe even all, is unfathomable. And no, I have no interest in splitting Dublin. But I also know I would struggle to sell inter county football to a good young player in a small county, and that needs to be looked at

weareros

Quote from: High Fielder on July 22, 2018, 03:20:16 AM
Professional franchises maybe? Who knows. In my opinion the county model is broken beyond repair. It's not Dublin's problem that they're as far ahead as they are, and they deserve their success because they've worked hard for it. But the resources they have available to them in comparison to so many counties, maybe even all, is unfathomable. And no, I have no interest in splitting Dublin. But I also know I would struggle to sell inter county football to a good young player in a small county, and that needs to be looked at

You are correct. New generations have zero interest in their county population of 25-50,000 (and a lot of that greying) getting hammered by county of 125k to 250k. There's in most cases a 2x advantage, often 5x and sometimes 10x.

On top of the huge disadvantage of smaller pick, how is the smaller populated county expected the raise the funds to complete with the big counties?

It's dying. The elite counties will play amongst themselves, but less and less will be watching or interested.

An Watcher

I think the all Ireland club championship is a fantastic competition.  Ulster alone is great viewing

smelmoth

Starting from scratch you wouldn't use the county system. We are so conditioned to it and identify with it I cannot see us ever moving away from it.

But the game needs fundamental change. I don't think we have to sacrifice everything in the name of entertainment but at the same time there isn't much point winning a competition that nobody follows anymore

High Fielder

Bite the bullet and go professional. The best players in the country, irrespective of where their from, need to have access to the highest levels of the game. That will never happen with the county system. I don't know of any other sport where your address dictates what you can potentially achieve. There are some very good footballers in smaller counties who have to be wondering why they bother, and there's nothing they can do about it. We do our best hyping up what we have, but in some cases it's like asking Fleetwood to compete with a Manchester United and then some critics saying well they need to up their game. It's all got very boring

Jinxy

Who would actually want to watch professional gaelic football?
Serious question.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

RedHand88

Quote from: High Fielder on July 22, 2018, 11:22:38 AM
Bite the bullet and go professional. The best players in the country, irrespective of where their from, need to have access to the highest levels of the game. That will never happen with the county system. I don't know of any other sport where your address dictates what you can potentially achieve. There are some very good footballers in smaller counties who have to be wondering why they bother, and there's nothing they can do about it. We do our best hyping up what we have, but in some cases it's like asking Fleetwood to compete with a Manchester United and then some critics saying well they need to up their game. It's all got very boring

Any international sport.

RedHand88

Quote from: weareros on July 22, 2018, 03:34:34 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on July 22, 2018, 03:20:16 AM

You are correct. New generations have zero interest in their county population of 25-50,000 (and a lot of that greying) getting hammered by county of 125k to 250k. There's in most cases a 2x advantage, often 5x and sometimes 10x.

On top of the huge disadvantage of smaller pick, how is the smaller populated county expected the raise the funds to complete with the big counties?

It's dying. The elite counties will play amongst themselves, but less and less will be watching or interested.

Ask Monaghan, the fourth smallest county by population, playing today to advance to the all Ireland semi final and have been consistently in Division 1 of the league for years.