David Clifford protection

Started by Kingdom37, January 25, 2020, 11:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Jesus lads anyone with any sense knows what went on there. Ben McDonnell, a midfielder....or half forward I suppose. Finds himself taken from the bench and winds up down in the full back line picking up Clifford with the game in the balance and getting involved in a tangle? Oldest trick in the book.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 12, 2020, 12:07:43 PM
Jesus lads anyone with any sense knows what went on there. Ben McDonnell, a midfielder....or half forward I suppose. Finds himself taken from the bench and winds up down in the full back line picking up Clifford with the game in the balance and getting involved in a tangle? Oldest trick in the book.

McDonnell played a lot of last season as a sweeper, including the Donegal game.

He man marked Ciaran Kilkenny when we played Dublin in the league last year.

He has never played half forward for Tyrone, primarily midfield or somwhere in the half back line, usually in a sweeping role.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Dire Ear

As a Tyrone supporter,  I would guess the Peter Harte "incidents" ( whatever they were)  had a factor in DC's sending off.  Balancing the books I would call it.  However it wouldn't be a surprise to me if O'Donnell was encouraged by ONE of the managment team to provoke DC.
I'm of the opinion that both PHarte and DC were sent off incorrecty

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Angelo on February 12, 2020, 12:09:15 PM

He has never played half forward for Tyrone, primarily midfield or somwhere in the half back line, usually in a sweeping role.
His position is neither here nor there. Good job of avoiding his point and the topic at hand. He was sent on to provoke DC. End.

BennyHarp

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 12, 2020, 12:50:07 PM

His position is neither here nor there. Good job of avoiding his point and the topic at hand. He was sent on to provoke DC. End.

So why did you bring it up?
That was never a square ball!!

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2020, 01:18:59 PM

I didn't. I think you'll find GOTB and Angelo did if you can read correctly. The issue is that his position doesn't matter, he was a sub sent on for the sole purpose to provoke DC. Angelo chose to avoid GOTB's point and irrelevantly nit pick about what position he usually plays, that wasn't the topic of discussion.

Angelo

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 12, 2020, 01:29:34 PM

I didn't. I think you'll find GOTB and Angelo did if you can read correctly. The issue is that his position doesn't matter, he was a sub sent on for the sole purpose to provoke DC. Angelo chose to avoid GOTB's point and irrelevantly nit pick about what position he usually plays, that wasn't the topic of discussion.

I addressed an inaccuracy from GOTB which tried to reason that McDonnell would have gone out of his way to start something, he has regularly played in the Tyrone half back line and as a sweeper, he has never played as a half forward that I can recall with Tyrone. So it's certainly relevant and I didn't bring his position in to the matter, I have only sought to clarify misleading information - again important in balance.

The crux of the matter is that there is no conclusive evidence to say what happened with certainty, we're all just speculating.

BennyHarp

My apologies, the names look similar at a glance - but the point is that he tried to use the position of McDonnell as evidence to prove that he must have been sent on to provoke Clifford. (I.e. what was he doing back there unless he was sent specifically to do a job on Clifford?) Angelo was pointing out that his take on McDonnell's position was incorrect.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Angelo on February 12, 2020, 01:38:51 PM

I addressed an inaccuracy from GOTB which tried to reason that McDonnell would have gone out of his way to start something, he has regularly played in the Tyrone half back line and as a sweeper, he has never played as a half forward that I can recall with Tyrone. So it's certainly relevant and I didn't bring his position in to the matter, I have only sought to clarify misleading information - again important in balance.

The crux of the matter is that there is no conclusive evidence to say what happened with certainty, we're all just speculating.
Right so he usually plays half back and not midfield or HF as he thought, who cares, doesn't make a bit of difference.
ANY player, defender or not, is capable of coming on in the final stages of a game and taking one for the team by starting a rowing match and wrestling a boy to the ground. That's the point.
I agree it's speculation, but I'm sure a sane Tyrone fan would admit that Clifford wasn't at fault here, and the referee wanted to even things up.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2020, 01:49:57 PM

My apologies, the names look similar at a glance - but the point is that he tried to use the position of McDonnell as evidence to prove that he must have been sent on to provoke Clifford. (I.e. what was he doing back there unless he was sent specifically to do a job on Clifford?) Angelo was pointing out that his take on McDonnell's position was incorrect.
Yea that's fair enough.

Angelo

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 12, 2020, 01:55:40 PM

Right so he usually plays half back and not midfield or HF as he thought, who cares, doesn't make a bit of difference.
ANY player, defender or not, is capable of coming on in the final stages of a game and taking one for the team by starting a rowing match and wrestling a boy to the ground. That's the point.
I agree it's speculation, but I'm sure a sane Tyrone fan would admit that Clifford wasn't at fault here, and the referee wanted to even things up.

I can't admit to something I don't know happened and which there is no conclusive proof that the incident panned out in the way portrayed.

It's speculation. You're entitled to your view bit there's nothing to back it up actually taking place.

GetOverTheBar

I'm reading some of these comments in disbelief, you boys must not have played any ball. I'm from Tyrone, I was at the game, I seen the incident. McDonnell was sent on for one reason, one reason only. Job done.

Is it right? No. Do I condone it? No. Will it happen next week to a lesser player to no outrage? Yes. Does the punishment received by McDonnell fit the crime? No.

That's pretty much the end of this one lads. Every county and club (at any decent level) will do something similar in the coming weeks and months....it's the game. In my opinion the referee couldn't wait to get himself on TV throughout.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 12, 2020, 02:04:07 PM

I'm reading some of these comments in disbelief, you boys must not have played any ball. I'm from Tyrone, I was at the game, I seen the incident. McDonnell was sent on for one reason, one reason only. Job done.

Is it right? No. Do I condone it? No. Will it happen next week to a lesser player to no outrage? Yes. Does the punishment received by McDonnell fit the crime? No.

That's pretty much the end of this one lads. Every county and club (at any decent level) will do something similar in the coming weeks and months....it's the game. In my opinion the referee couldn't wait to get himself on TV throughout.
I'm literally saying the exact same thing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 12, 2020, 02:06:26 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 12, 2020, 02:04:07 PM

I'm literally saying the exact same thing.

That's why i got mixed up between the two of ye!  ;)

tonto1888

Has Clifford been charged yet for his reaction to the red card?