Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 16, 2023, 11:15:52 AM
He has lasted everywhere he had been. Very popular with players. Great coach, very professional. He would be a terrific appointment for us and really shake up the squad.

And wins nothing, reaching one Ulster final in 9 seasons. You'd have to be absolutely nuts to appoint a poser like him.

I want a manager who will make these lads winners.

Cavan19

We are going to need a revamp of the team and someone who can manage the crap that is going on between the Crosserlough and Gowna lads this has to be the right appointment we are not in a good place.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on July 16, 2023, 08:57:19 PM
He has lasted everywhere he had been. Very popular with players. Great coach, very professional. He would be a terrific appointment for us and really shake up the squad.

And wins nothing, reaching one Ulster final in 9 seasons. You'd have to be absolutely nuts to appoint a poser like him.

A brilliant coach. Has improved every county he has managed. The consummate professional. Gives everything to the job and gets the most out of the players at his disposal. Armagh underage would be even weaker than Cavan this last decade but he has them light years ahead of us in the senior ranks. Only thing nuts is what has been allowed happen to our senior team this last few years.

mrdeeds

Since when is Geezer available?

Look-Up!

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 17, 2023, 10:24:26 PM
Since when is Geezer available?
I believe it's 50/50 at moment

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 17, 2023, 08:12:08 PM

A brilliant coach. Has improved every county he has managed. The consummate professional. Gives everything to the job and gets the most out of the players at his disposal. Armagh underage would be even weaker than Cavan this last decade but he has them light years ahead of us in the senior ranks. Only thing nuts is what has been allowed happen to our senior team this last few years.

All I can say is I'm glad you are not in charge of selecting a new manager

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on July 17, 2023, 11:16:55 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on July 17, 2023, 08:12:08 PM

All I can say is I'm glad you are not in charge of selecting a new manager
Unfortunately I'd say there are a few in the CB would agree with you but I can guarantee you there are many very prominent GAA men the country over would find that attitude laughable.

Itchy

Could you put down on a post Kieran McGeeneys achievements as Armagh Manager - measurable ones like promotions, what he won etc. Go back to Kildare too. It shouldnt take you too long to put 12 years of management into a few lines!

There is a bit of talk in Mayo of James Horan being linked with the job, he was approached before. The lack of an even half decent road between Mayo and Cavan could be the big issue there.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on July 18, 2023, 01:54:33 PM
Could you put down on a post Kieran McGeeneys achievements as Armagh Manager - measurable ones like promotions, what he won etc. Go back to Kildare too. It shouldnt take you too long to put 12 years of management into a few lines!

There is a bit of talk in Mayo of James Horan being linked with the job, he was approached before. The lack of an even half decent road between Mayo and Cavan could be the big issue there.
I can only assume you're taking the piss with that question. You couldn't be that lacking in GAA knowledge. Promoted and stayed in Division 1 with Kildare. Kick of a ball away from AI final. Leinster u21 football title. 5 years unbeaten in qualifiers, something crazy like 17 consecutive wins. Tipperary looked for him in their hurling backroom team to work on mental side with players when he was between jobs. Reached AI final for first time in 3 years. Brought greatest hurling team ever to replay. Took on Armagh job fulltime afterwards. They reached AI  QF in his first year as asst. coach. Lost to eventual AI finalists Donegal by a point if I remember. Multiple promotions since including reaching and staying in Division 1. Multiple championship victories against top teams in Ulster like Donegal and Tyrone. 2 AI QF appearances and Ulster final appearance last 2 years, unbeaten in all. When you beat a McGeeney team you earn it. Anyone who thinks he's beneath us is completely and hopelessly deluded. 

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 18, 2023, 02:35:40 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 18, 2023, 01:54:33 PM

I can only assume you're taking the piss with that question. You couldn't be that lacking in GAA knowledge. Promoted and stayed in Division 1 with Kildare. Kick of a ball away from AI final. Leinster u21 football title. 5 years unbeaten in qualifiers, something crazy like 17 consecutive wins. Tipperary looked for him in their hurling backroom team to work on mental side with players when he was between jobs. Reached AI final for first time in 3 years. Brought greatest hurling team ever to replay. Took on Armagh job fulltime afterwards. They reached AI  QF in his first year as asst. coach. Lost to eventual AI finalists Donegal by a point if I remember. Multiple promotions since including reaching and staying in Division 1. Multiple championship victories against top teams in Ulster like Donegal and Tyrone. 2 AI QF appearances and Ulster final appearance last 2 years, unbeaten in all. When you beat a McGeeney team you earn it. Anyone who thinks he's beneath us is completely and hopelessly deluded.

Zero cups. Thats all you needed to say. 1 Ulster final appearance where thanks to his negativity they blew it. Same last year against Galway. Nearly man, to interested in being a macho man to get actual trophy's in the cabinet

You really have the horn for him, are you sure your not Seanie Johnston?

Itchy

Larry Reilly appointed U-20 coach

Westside

McGeeney improves teams and has proved very popular with players. On the other hand, his profile brings unwanted attention which heaps pressure on his teams. He is clearly very fond of his hard man image and that has seeped into his players.
His decision to bring Johnston on against Cavan in 2012 precludes him from ever coming to Cavan IMO, even if he wanted to.

Any word on who is in the running for the senior job?

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on July 19, 2023, 09:17:19 AM
McGeeney improves teams and has proved very popular with players. On the other hand, his profile brings unwanted attention which heaps pressure on his teams. He is clearly very fond of his hard man image and that has seeped into his players.
His decision to bring Johnston on against Cavan in 2012 precludes him from ever coming to Cavan IMO, even if he wanted to.

Absolutely

mrdeeds

Why discuss him if he's not available. What about a young Davy Burke type ambitious manager?

Mark McHugh at Roscommon, maybe Kieran Donaghy or even someone like Mickey Hannon.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Westside on July 19, 2023, 09:17:19 AM

Celt today hinted that Hyland might well be nominated by one of the clubs, the man himself was quoted and wasn't ruling himself out by any means. Not sure what he'd bring that was any different to the first go around when - imo - he did a lot of good work but left a few big wins behind too before running out of road similar to Mickey.

On McGeeney, I share a lot of the misgivings but even someone as flawed as him is probably too high on the pecking order for Cavan as we currently stand. We're distinctly third rate and it'll only be when we stop codding ourselves about our history and legacy and status, and go back to the basics, with a lot of humility, and build from the bottom up, that things will improve sustainably. Two senior ulster titles in 54 goddamn years, for all our huffing and puffing and dreaming (me as bad as anyone) tells a tale we'd rather not acknowledge but it's there and time to stop hiding from it. So many counties have risen, fallen, and risen again in that time but we've remained mired for the most part and that's a sign we're doing it wrong too often.