All Stars 2012

Started by yellowcard, August 08, 2012, 10:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

neil gallagher coming back from injury to play like he has has been a great story. we needed him to stand up and he did. from being little considered country wide, he's now right up there as one of the best midfielders in the game.

+ durcan over clarke, just. when clarke had saves to make in the final, he didn't. one out of three when it counted. of the goals that went in, you'd have to say that mcfadden's goal, although a good goal and hard to save, was more saveable than murphy's. he could have kept mayo in it there and didn't. save that and he's the all star keeper. but there isn't much between them.

sheamy

Mark McHugh at half forward  :D

I think they need an 'Other' category at this stage

Croí na hÉireann

This is what the commitae will pick imo

Paul Durcan (Donegal)
Neil McGee (Donegal); Ger Cafferkey (Mayo); Keith Higgins (Mayo)
Lee Keegan (Mayo); Karl Lacey (Donegal); Frank McGlynn (Donegal)
               Neil Gallagher (Donegal); Aidan Walsh (Cork)
Mark McHugh (Donegal); Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin); Kevin McLoughlin (Mayo);
Colm McFadden (Donegal); Michael Murphy (Donegal); Colm O'Neill (Cork)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ballinaman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 03, 2012, 09:22:42 AM
This is what the commitae will pick imo

Paul Durcan (Donegal)
Ger Cafferkey (Mayo); Keith Higgins (Mayo); Neil McGee (Donegal);
Lee Keegan (Mayo); Karl Lacey (Donegal); Frank McGlynn (Donegal)
               Neil Gallagher (Donegal); Aidan Walsh (Cork)
Mark McHugh (Donegal); Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin); Kevin McLoughlin (Mayo);
Colm McFadden (Donegal); Michael Murphy (Donegal); Colm O'Neill (Cork)
+1

Still think Clarkey is a better keeper than Durcan. I understand what your saying about the McFadden goal Cadence but Durcan wasn't tested enough to warrant an all star IMO.

Croí na hÉireann

I'd say if he kept a clean sheet in the final he'd be in with a right shout as the commitae would have form in not selecting a keeper playing behind a solid defence where they overlooked James McGarry for years in the hurling.

mackers

Quote from: screenmachine on October 03, 2012, 07:32:38 AM
How does Jamie Clarke get nominated in every All Star list going? If he sat out a season I'd still be pretty confident that he'd get his customary nomination...
Weird post. Are you completely ignoring the club championship earlier in the year?  Are you saying that he isn't in the top nine full forwards in the country? Just because Armagh had a sh1t year doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a nomination.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Cold tea

Quote from: mackers on October 03, 2012, 09:39:06 AM
How does Jamie Clarke get nominated in every All Star list going? If he sat out a season I'd still be pretty confident that he'd get his customary nomination...
Weird post. Are you completely ignoring the club championship earlier in the year?  Are you saying that he isn't in the top nine full forwards in the country? Just because Armagh had a sh1t year doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a nomination.

Do the nominations really take club performances into account, what if you played great for club and weren't on the county panel! Surely the All Stars are based on County performances alone.

screenmachine

Eh, yes I am completely ignoring the club championship, surely this should be based on performances at County level only. By your reckoning Liam Watson should at least be nominated for player of the year then with his performances in the club All Ireland series?

Don't get me wrong, but Jamie Clarke is an outstanding talent but himself and Armagh didn't cut much mustard this year so I can't see where the nomination has came from. Maybe it's his pals in the Irish News who swing the vote for him...  ;)
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

AZOffaly

I think it will be.... (BTW why is Frank McGlynn nominated as a half back and why is Bernard Brogan nominated at all?)

Paul Durcan,

Keith Higgins,
Neil McGee
Eamon McGee

Adrian Flynn
Karl Lacey
Frank McGlynn

Rory Kavanagh
Barry Moran

Mark McHugh
Kevin McLoughlin
Alan Dillon

Colm McFadden
Michael Murphy
Andy Moran

nrico2006

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2012, 10:27:27 AM
I think it will be.... (BTW why is Frank McGlynn nominated as a half back and why is Bernard Brogan nominated at all?)

Paul Durcan,

Keith Higgins,
Neil McGee
Eamon McGee

Adrian Flynn
Karl Lacey
Frank McGlynn

Rory Kavanagh
Barry Moran

Mark McHugh
Kevin McLoughlin
Alan Dillon

Colm McFadden
Michael Murphy
Andy Moran

Is it not based on County appearances only?  The All Stars is flawed obviously as in my opinion Jamie Clarke was better than the majority of forwards, if not them all, in the games that he played.  But as Armagh has a short summer, he isn't going to get an award.  Bernard Brogan didn't play amazing in every game, but I would like to see the stats on what he scored from play this year and see the actual top scorers from play stats to see how that reads.  As we all know by now its the teams who get towards late August/September that are rewarded, when in reality it shoudln't be like that.  If you look at the performances of Conor Laverty, Paul Barden, Jamie Clarke or Joe McMahon this summer then they should really be getting All Stars but as they didn't feature in the business end of the season they won't get a mention. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Quote from: Cold tea on October 03, 2012, 09:57:49 AM
Quote from: mackers on October 03, 2012, 09:39:06 AM

what about Junior C players? Don't they deserve all stars as well?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Croí na hÉireann

Paul Durcan,

Keith Higgins,
Neil McGee
Eamon McGee

Adrian Flynn
Karl Lacey
Frank McGlynn

Rory Kavanagh
Barry Moran

Mark McHugh
Kevin McLoughlin
Alan Dillon

Colm McFadden
Michael Murphy
Andy Moran

Usually done I find to fit the 15 players they want into the team. That's why TSG selected McHugh in the traditional half back position.

RMDrive

Quote from: ballinaman on October 03, 2012, 08:00:11 AM
Durcan over Clarke really grinds my gears. He had pratically only had 1 save to make all summer ffs.

Performance under the high ball - Durkan
Kick-out's - Durkan

Saves are not the only part of a keepers job and these days I'd say the kick-outs are the most important. Durkan has worked hard to get to the point where the accuracy of his kickouts are second only to the ever-nominated-one.

AZOffaly

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 03, 2012, 10:39:04 AM

Paul Durcan,

Keith Higgins,
Neil McGee
Eamon McGee

Adrian Flynn
Karl Lacey
Frank McGlynn

Rory Kavanagh
Barry Moran

Mark McHugh
Kevin McLoughlin
Alan Dillon

Colm McFadden
Michael Murphy
Andy Moran

Is it not based on County appearances only?  The All Stars is flawed obviously as in my opinion Jamie Clarke was better than the majority of forwards, if not them all, in the games that he played.  But as Armagh has a short summer, he isn't going to get an award.  Bernard Brogan didn't play amazing in every game, but I would like to see the stats on what he scored from play this year and see the actual top scorers from play stats to see how that reads.  As we all know by now its the teams who get towards late August/September that are rewarded, when in reality it shoudln't be like that.  If you look at the performances of Conor Laverty, Paul Barden, Jamie Clarke or Joe McMahon this summer then they should really be getting All Stars but as they didn't feature in the business end of the season they won't get a mention.

I think Jamie Clarke is class, as is Gooch, but I think the All Stars is primarily recognition of how you performed in the IC championship this year. Obviously a short summer will affect how that is percieved, although I think Adrian Flynn from Wexford has a chance. Rightly, or wrongly, (wrongly in my opinion) the IC leagues and Club championships get only token consideration.

5 Sams

Darragh Ó Sé doesnt include Mark McHugh in his team of the year and does include Aidan O'Mahoney!!! ???

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1003/1224324774352.html
The Aristocrat Years