Irish School in Tirkane...for Daisy

Started by Aerlik, September 11, 2007, 01:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

What's the craic with the Irish school up in Tír Cahan?  When did it start up and where (apart from Slaughtneil) do the students come from?  Where are the other such schools in the county/Antrim?

Just wish I'd stuck at the Irish when at school.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

screenexile

Not too sure about anywhere else but there is a pre school in Draperstown that is totally Irish. Naiscoil na Speirini. I think they are a great idea and I would definitely put my kids through Irish Medium education as I think it helps broaden children's minds. A lot of good work is being done in this field in St. Mary's in Belfast too and I think that you will see a lot more of these schools sprout up around the place!

Derry Daisy

Well Aerlik it has been up and running a few years now and the numbers attending are always increasing.  They have pupils from Dunloy, Coleraine, Dungiven and the more local areas.  There has been a big push for Irish up here with carntogher and the An Carn centre which includes Padraig O'Mianins (manager of the Derry camogie team that won the All ireland junior final on sunday) and his children.  Great to listen to the local chirdren speaking to each other in irish