Footballer of the Year 2007

Started by seanobrien12, September 08, 2007, 10:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Declan O'Sullivan, Donncha O'Connor, Nicholas Murphy, Tomas O'Se or Marc O'Se.

Just depending on the performances next week, there's no chance of the winner coming from outside this lot.

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA on September 09, 2007, 12:17:17 PM
Moran is a decent player, though not deserving of the inevitable abuse that will follow SeanOBrien age 12's post.

well said -the reality is the numbskulls who criticise him are those who don't understand the fundamentals of Gaelic Football. He won an awful lot of breaking ball and setup scores which was the job he was selected to do and  by and large he did it very well.  He isn't  anatural forward . He is  a natural defender though and is by far the best dublin underage player i saw. Unfortuntaely injury and a reluctance of successive managements to play him in the centre back spot has led to him being ridiculed. Pity because he is a fine footballer. I thought he was  decent captain too. He had a decent season in my view- unlike certain others .

Mcgee would of fulfilled this roll  fair better than Moran
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

paddypastit

Firstly in answer to the question asked as against the initial answer provided I'd say player of the year is between Declan O'Sullivan, Nicholas Murphy and Marc O'Se in that order.  The winner will most likely come from the county that wins next week.  If Cork win and unless Murphy is completely and utterly useless (and frankly if he is, you'd not expect them to win) the gong is his.  If Kerry win it will most likely go to one of those two lads unless both are rubbish and somebody else practically wins it on his own. It will definitely be a Cork or Kerry player and the only way that I could see it going to somebody outside that trio is if the AIF goes to a replay, all those lads have two stinkers and somebody else is the main man in both! BTW, I don't know where the call for Canty is coming from - well away from being the dominating best that he was a few years ago and not more than third best FB in the country this year if even that.

As to Collie Moran.  Well I'm more or less with Indiana here. He may not have turned out to be the sensation that his youth suggested but to my eye watching the Dubs in the flesh year in year out for the last six seasons or so this has been his best yet, doing a power of unseen work and essential link play.  Dublin have a structure around the middle of the field in which there are a number of moving parts that each on his own might not hold up to much but which together work very well and Moran and his natural footballing ability, both to carry ball and in foot passing is critical to that.  While he is by no means player of the year, he is a critical part of that machine, and it should be noted a fine sportsman and a gentleman to boot.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

From the Bunker

MARC O'SE unless he has a AI Stinker!

orangeman

One of the O'Se's - Tomas or Marc - outstanding -

Star Spangler

O'Sullivan without a doubt.  He is a fantastic footballer.

screenexile

Is Kevin McCloy in with a shout at all? He has been the outstanding defender of the year!

Kentucky Blue

Quote from: screenexile on September 11, 2007, 10:24:46 AM
Is Kevin McCloy in with a shout at all? He has been the outstanding defender of the year!

Certainly agree that McCloy had a great year but with Derry only getting to a quarter-final I dont think he has a chance to be honest.
Just looking as far back as 1995, no player that has not contested a final has won the player of the year. The player of the year usually comes from the winning team, only exceptions are Stevie McDonnell in 2003 and Peter Canavan in 1995.

tbrick18

I agree the player will be from one of the two teams contesting the final and rightly so - Declan O'Sullivan would get my vote.

But outside of that I would definately have Kevin McCloy.
Out of the losing semi-finalists I cant think of any player who I'd rate higher this year.

illdecide

Ulster = T Freeman
Munster = D O Sullivan
Leinster = B Cullen
Connacht = None really, maybe one of the Sligo lads like Breheny or Davey

Overall = If D O Sullivan has a half decent final he should get it
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Louth Exile

Quote from: paddypastit on September 09, 2007, 10:51:37 PM
Firstly in answer to the question asked as against the initial answer provided I'd say player of the year is between Declan O'Sullivan, Nicholas Murphy and Marc O'Se in that order.  The winner will most likely come from the county that wins next week.  If Cork win and unless Murphy is completely and utterly useless (and frankly if he is, you'd not expect them to win) the gong is his.  If Kerry win it will most likely go to one of those two lads unless both are rubbish and somebody else practically wins it on his own. It will definitely be a Cork or Kerry player and the only way that I could see it going to somebody outside that trio is if the AIF goes to a replay, all those lads have two stinkers and somebody else is the main man in both! BTW, I don't know where the call for Canty is coming from - well away from being the dominating best that he was a few years ago and not more than third best FB in the country this year if even that.

I'd agree with a lot of this, O'Sullivan, Murphy and Freeman is who I'd have in the melting pot. Canty doesn't come close to contention this year
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Jinxy

Quote from: illdecide on September 11, 2007, 01:26:09 PM
Ulster = T Freeman
Munster = D O Sullivan
Leinster = B Cullen

There is a serious hint of the Emperors new clothes with Cullen. Doesn't matter how he plays, it seems that quite a few people have decided he is the bees knees. I'd pick Anthony Moyles ahead of him every day of the week and twice on Sundays!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thebandit

Quote from: Jinxy on September 11, 2007, 04:06:32 PM
Quote from: illdecide on September 11, 2007, 01:26:09 PM
Ulster = T Freeman
Munster = D O Sullivan
Leinster = B Cullen

There is a serious hint of the Emperors new clothes with Cullen. Doesn't matter how he plays, it seems that quite a few people have decided he is the bees knees. I'd pick Anthony Moyles ahead of him every day of the week and twice on Sundays!

Agree strongly .... Martin McHugh pointed out that Kerry drove through the centre of Dublin's defence in the 2nd half of the aisf.

Moyles had a great year.

paddypastit

Agree completely with the comment about Moyles over Cullen.  For me Cullen wouldn't even be in the top half dozen Dublin players (in no particular order get behind Cluxton, Henry, Griffin, Whelan, Ryan and B Brogan) this year much less Leinster or the country.

On Connaiught and a Sligo prospect - no chance for player of the year but if you were looking for a player of Connaught neither of those two lads would be in the top three Sligo options (and I assume the call is for Jonathan rather than Sean Davey as the latter wouldn't make the top 15 Sligo players in '07!!)  The stand out for Sligo is Ross Donovan with McGuire, Quinn, Harrison and O'Hara in the shake up.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word